View Poll Results: BH Ultimate Optimus Prime - worth buying?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 12.50%
  • Only if...

3 12.50%
  • No

8 33.33%
  • Not even interested

10 41.67%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review Beast Hunters Ultimate Optimus Prime

Default Toy Review Beast Hunters Ultimate Optimus Prime

(Please post photos, comments or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just brief details to get you started)

Series - Transformers Prime
    Sub-line - Beast Hunters
    Size/class - Ultimate
    New/remould/redeco - new
    Wave - 1
    Released here - May 2013 (not yet globally)
    Approximate Retail Price - $79
    Approximate Size - (25cm)
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - all-terrain truck
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Electronic, spinning ring & 5 launching projectiles
    Main Colours - red, blue, black, grey, green
    Main Accessories - Sword, shield, 5x missiles, (spinning ring)

Default Kal El Reviews: Beast Hunters Ultimate Optimus Prime

Video Review of Beast Hunters Ultimate Optimus Prime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Om9aG4PVI

He is one big super robot looking Optimus Prime! Anyone that loved Galaxy Convoy (cybertron Optimus prime) will love this guy! With the basic robot design blown up from the voyager mold, this optimus has a great base.
    The 5 dragon head rotary missile gimmick has a great play pattern and can be a lot of fun. It would have been great if the gimmick was removable as it needs to plug in to work in robot mode anyway. But not a must. The gimmick makes the toy a little back heavy but once you play with it a bit, you will figure the best ways to pose.

The weapons are fun, the shield being a stylized dragon head is a very nice touch. The sword/giant clever is very cool also. Both have a great design but lack basic paint applications which is a real shame. Though a easy fix for anyone that can do basic painting and washes.

This Optimus is a fun figure with plenty of play value and great 'super robot' posing options for the collectors.
    Pick it up if you get it for the right price.

Full Gallery Here: CLICK

Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

I don't think I would pay more than $10 for this ugly piece of garbage.

Smile Tales of the beast hunters

Hi kalel could you post a pic of the tales of the beast hunters chapter on ultimate primes instructions please.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jazz2405 View Post
    Hi kalel could you post a pic of the tales of the beast hunters chapter on ultimate primes instructions please.

Thanks
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

Quote Originally Posted by KalEl View Post
    He is one big super robot looking Optimus Prime! Anyone that loved Galaxy Convoy (cybertron Optimus prime) will love this guy!
    I love Galaxy Convoy and I don't like this toy
    With the basic robot design blown up from the voyager mold,
    That'll be why.

Enlarging a toy up into a larger size doesn't usually make a good bigger figure. Just have a look at Supreme Starscream from Cybertron.

After having a feel for it in the shop the light weight, small head and overall fatness of this guy really puts me off. The weapon looks stupid and the cab of the truck mode looks ridiculous. Easy Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by jazz2405 View Post

Thanks
    6 posts all asking the same thing. We get the idea thanks. >.>

^I totally agree with Tetsuwan Convoy. I also really like Cybertron Leader Class Optimus Prime, but I really don't like the look of this toy. The Voyager itself was disappointing, why would I want a blown up version of a disappointing toy?

The Ringaling thing really doesn't look nearly as fun as the Wingaling on the Voyager, and it still has the ugly snot greens from the Voyager. Going for the "Generation 2" aesthetic perhaps. And don't tell me the truck mode is as fail as the Voyager in just having the arms and legs fold back behind the body! The Voyager fails in the same regard, and last night in a conversation with Sinnertwin it dawned on me -- it's like a transforming Optimus Prime cosplay!

^Rotate torso, fold head down, fold arms and legs back. Basically describes the transformation scheme of Voyager BH OP and by the looks of things, perhaps the Ultimate version too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Enlarging a toy up into a larger size doesn't usually make a good bigger figure. Just have a look at Supreme Starscream from Cybertron.
    And that's why I totally skipped that toy too!

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    After having a feel for it in the shop the light weight, small head and overall fatness of this guy really puts me off.
    Sinnertwin said that it felt really light weight too.

Honestly, I think the Commander Class figure is the best value for money out of all the BH OPs. It certainly is the most complex and clever transformation proportionate to size and price. Even though the arms kinda bug me, I do like how they help form part of the cab, and while the legs also fold back, they do open up and form a more proper trailer that looks like a car carrier or something. It looks like it could actually haul stuff like a truck should! We are meant to believe that the Voyager just has a poor excuse for a truck mode, and the Ultimate doesn't look much better. Watching the Voyager and Ultimate OPs trying to conceal their robot parts in truck mode and pass off their arms and legs as rear truck sections is like watching the Autobots trying to blend into Sam's house hoping that noone will notice.

Then there's the sword. Both the Commander and Voyager have swords that look like the Star Sabre. This looks like a cleaver you'd find in Simmons' mum's butchery. There's nothing inherently wrong with it per se, and I suppose they wanted to make this toy more distinct from the other classes, but I honestly would've preferred to see a big Star Sabre. And the abundance of Hasbro-Grey on it doesn't enthrall me either.

For $79 you're better off getting a DotM Jetwing Optimus Prime. Now that toy offers loads more value than the Voyager, and I suspect the Ultimate Class toy too. I don't remember how much JW OP is selling for atm, but I do remember seeing prices being significantly slashed since it's a fairly notorious shelfwarmer. I personally don't feel any compulsion to get Ultimate BH OP, and my recommendation to others who are considering it and aren't desperately impatient to have it right now might to wait until it's on sale.

Voyager BH OPs are still widely available, so there's a fair chance that the Ultimates may not fly off shelves too quickly either. 'Specially with the mid-year sales period coming up soon.

url]

He is one big super robot looking Optimus Prime! Anyone that loved Galaxy Convoy (cybertron Optimus prime) will love this guy!
    To clarify i'm not saying everyone will love it, just an opinion of why I and others i know love the design of the new version of optimus not so much the toy in all cases. I think the voyager is a better toy. But I also feel the new one is fun.
    You don't have to agree :P

Just trying to show people the toy and let them decide
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

I think the 8 year old me would've loved this toy in the same way I loved the G1 bricks

If I were an 8 year old now, I don't think I'd "love" this toy. I most likely wouldn't even buy this toy myself - the only way I'd get it would be for someone to give this toy to me. Similar to what happened to me w/ Powermaster Optimus Prime. I could never justify saving up for that toy, I preferred to spend my money on other new-character toys; Pretenders, Targetmasters, Headmasters, Throttlebots etc. But a few years later one of my cousins gave me his PM Optimus Prime for free when he decided that he was "too old" to play with Transformers. If that hadn't happened, I probably would never have gotten PM Optimus Prime. So similarly if I were an 8 year old now, the only way I'd get this toy would be as a gift; I wouldn't actively seek it out. Actually... the same standard applies now! I'd happily keep this toy if someone gave it to me, but I don't see myself buying one (honestly, not all that much has changed since I collected Transformers as a child compared to how I collect them now; probably the main thing that's changed is that I have less time to play with them (but certainly not due to a lack of desire)).

And just as I used to compare PM OP with 1984 OP and considered the former to be inferior, if I were a kid now I'd probably look at Ultimate OP and compare it with say DotM Jetwing Optimus Prime and think about how the latter totally trumps the former.

On a more positive note, I'm glad to see that Hasbro remembered to give Optimus Prime an Autobot insignia this time. I can't believe TakTOM neglected to give one to TFG OP. How sad is it when something as simple as adding a logo on a large and more expensive boxed toy is considered to be a bonus point? It should just be a given. *sigh*