Thread: Unproduced Marvel Gen1 comic story

Default Unproduced Marvel Gen1 comic story

One of the inkers of the Marvel Gen1 comic was showing off their work at a recent New Jersey convention, and it included an unpublished issue that was apparently a stand-by issue in case they fell behind schedule. This particular story was based on the cartoon episode "Dweller in the Depths" and based on the news article at that link, it would have probably been like the "Big Broadcast of 2006" story, with it being adapted to fit the future UK timeline. (but possibly could have been done for the US comic instead)

Unfortunately, some of the pages were said to have been sold off already, so we are not likely to ever see the full story in print. (even though it isn't canon for not being published, it would still be a nice bit of almost-history for Transformers... and how amazing is it that it took 30 years for this to be discovered)
    Last edited by griffin; 15th April 2015 at 09:45 PM.

This is a very cool bit of lost history.

But I'm not sure why people think it's Marvel UK?

It's got a Marvel US artist, it has Marvel US lettering, it's Marvel US that did have an inventory story based on a post movie cartoon episode that they ran in #43.

I guess it's because the poster said "backup" story but by the end of their sentence they say it's for filler issues. Marvel used to have "inventory" stories prepared for their series in case of late running production. (Now they just more likely delay the comics.)

Why would the UK comic need to create filler for the back up when they could publish anything in that space (like the random Iron Man comic in the late 120s or old TF stories eventually)?

I can't read the text well on my phone but I'm sure there'll be a color, honor or maximize in there.

Edit: Yep, there's an American "Rumor" on one of those pages.

I probably could have done a bit of research on where that Inker was most often working (US or UK), but was just going on what the news article and "authoritative" comments attached to it.

I've edited the topic and title to reflect it.

Those amateurs I'd recognise Marvel US Transformers lettering anywhere.

It is cool that new Marvel US stuff that no one knows about can still be found. I was thrilled to see some unusued layouts in the 30th Anniversary collection last year but would have thought that had exhausted that well.

It makes sense that Marvel US would have looked to cartoon adaptions for filler. The story was already written and they wouldn't have to fit into the ongoing continuity. (Often these sorts of stories when traditionally used would have framing devices, often casting the filler story as a flashback).

The fact that there were at least two of these goes some way to explaining what #43 was all about (almost 30 years later and the mystery is better explained).

I wonder if there's any unused Herb Trimpe covers that may come to light following his recent passing.

It's pretty cool how things like this are being discovered over 30 years later. I hold out hope that one day I'll open my cupboards and discover a treasure trove of Transformer toys that I never knew I had
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

It's like the European Gen1 toy finds in some of Maz's articles, taking 30 years to make their way into the hands of Western (US or UK) fans, despite having Internet resources like ebay for two thirds of that time. (and international travelling)