Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Diecast metal

Default Diecast metal

One topic of discussion that pops up every now and then is the use of diecast metal (or lack thereof) in Transformers, particularly (of late) Masterpieces. I couldn't find a pre-existing thread for the topic, so I wanted to open up discussion about using it.

What do you think? Pros? Cons? Should it be used, and if so, how much?

Pros: It can make vehicle modes look beautiful. Just compare Binaltechs with Alternators; there's no contest. Metal feet can also help improve the base stability of a toy (e.g. MP22).

Cons: Paint may become chipped, although this is dependent on the quality of the paint. Good quality paint is much more resistant/durable. Die-cast metal is also apparently more expensive as a material, which is why (I think) Transformers phased out die-cast metal parts in 1986. This is why many 1986 Transformers have metal and plastic variants (e.g. metal toed Hot Rod, plastic toed Hot Rod et al.).

Mind you, the price differential becomes moot if they're going to charge approximately the same price for a plastic version of a toy as a metal one. I got metal-toed Hot Rod in 1986, but plastic-toed Kup... just as well I got Kup on clearance for $5, but still. The initial prices for Alternators in Australia was about the same as pre-ordering Binaltechs from HLJ. So naturally I just pre-ordered BTs from HLJ! Alternator prices did significantly go down later with sales, but when comparing full retail prices, I felt BTs gave me far better value for money. As for how much metal to be used, I think on most large vehicle panels is good (e.g. bonnet, roof, doors), but you don't want almost every part of the toy to be metal. That was something that I didn't like with Titanium Series.

Use of materials is greatly influenced by the intended design. personally I only really like Die Case as ballast e.g. elements of feet or something as mentioned by Goki.

metal is much harder than plastic so any moving parts where the two meet, and metal is going to win every time wearing the plastic quickly and making a joint loose.

Metal also fatigues a lot faster than plastic, there is no way die cast metal could be used for most applications in modern transformers as a direct substitute for the plastic being used at the moment. it might be stronger at face value, but, I guarantee you it will fatigue and crack much faster. In parts that are thin it will also bend and stay bent, where plastic can yield and then take it's original shape. Die Cast can do this but not to the same degree as most plastics used today.

my 2c
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Mp-1 equals real masterpiece, all else high grade toy.
    That's my take on lack of metal. Like Gok, just hold a Japanese binaltech smokescreen . Then hold any of your masterpiece cars. Absolute no comparison.

When I saw masterpiece starscream and megatron, I was very let down on the path they took.

But plastic give you bigger toys like titans metroplex.

As for a toy that uses metal and transforms, the macross chogokin line by bandai uses metal for their planes.

Along with the paint issue which is my biggest problem the additional cost of the product and shipping. I see no need for it. MP-22 could have done without diecast.

The MMPR Legacy Zord's use a ton of diecast. The knee joints of the Dino Megazord actually need braces to take the weight. I would have preferred painted plastic on those figures. Paint is what makes figures like Binaltech look better, not diecast.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

I personally don't get the whole die cast thing don't really care for it same with rubber tyres.
    It can be used well to help balance a figure if it needs but otherwise there is no need for it, as Delta stated it's the paint that makes the figure look better not if it's die cast or plastic.

CoRDS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

i want as much metal as possible in my masterpiece style figures.
    but i want it done in the proper way. not just metal for the sake of it.

i really enjoy the way fanstoys use metal in their figures.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    That's my take on lack of metal. Like Gok, just hold a Japanese binaltech smokescreen . Then hold any of your masterpiece cars. Absolute no comparison.

When I saw masterpiece starscream and megatron, I was very let down on the path they took.

But plastic give you bigger toys like titans metroplex.

As for a toy that uses metal and transforms, the macross chogokin line by bandai uses metal for their planes.
    And that is the biggest problem with them. The metal joints become loose just from sitting there and no matter what you do you end up with a floppy Valk.

Die fast used sparingly and with thought can add a lot to a toy. Die cast for die casts sake is dumb and makes the figures worse.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Like a number of other posters have said, it comes down to how it's used in the product's engineering.

I personally prefer rubber tyres as I feel they roll better, but other than that, I want it to look right and be durable, while not costing the earth.

If minimising die cast is the answer to those factors, then minimise it.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    I've never had a MP-1 mould that has stood up properly, and I've owned two. Add to that the two my cousin has owned.

Every MP-10 I've seen has stood wonderfully.