Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920212223242939 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun-Formers (imitation weapons) laws and requirements for Australia

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Quote Originally Posted by Krayt View Post
    Um guys.... I think something needs pointing out.

Mp-36 is NOT a replica firearm.

Mp-05 was an oversize replica of a Walther P-38. This is a fictional gun with no real world equivelent.
    Exactly what I was thinking! This alt mode doesn't even look like a replica. They've gone more cartoon accurate which should be great news for collectors.

llamatron: yes, WA is unrestricted.
    http://megatron.net.au/MC_Masterpiece_MP05_WA.htm

Just like to point out that even fictitious replicas of fictitious guns that look "realistic", such as Original Trilogy Star Wars and Bladerunner guns. As stated on the Megatron Club site ("Breaking News" 5/1/2011).

My guess is that because a lay person with minimal to zero knowledge of science fiction weapons may mistake a realistic enough looking fictitious weapon for being a real gun.
    e.g. Han Solo's blaster is actually based on the real life 9mm Mauser C96 pistol. While a person with sufficient knowledge of Han Solo's blaster and a Mauser C96 may be able to tell the difference, the average person probably wouldn't. Especially if it's produced in poor lighting and in a threatening situation where the person is in fear of their life and unlikely to pause and examine the pistol to see if it's real or not. AFAIK Deckard's gun isn't based on a real pistol, but it bears a similar appearance (shape, colour) as a real gun and so appears to be classified as requiring a permit in NSW.

Laws vary between states so you may need to check with your Police Ministry to be sure. But it seems that even approximations of real guns in NSW are prohibited and require a permit for importation and ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by MayzaPrime View Post
    Man it really heaps when the Officer on the other end of the call is a Transformer collector.
    That is awesome. When I was applying for my permit nearly 9 years ago I had to repeatedly explain to people what Megatron was. And I also had to repeatedly explain to people, including police, that it's a prohibited item and that I was applying for a permit, because I had several people try to dismiss me saying that I didn't need it and I had to continually reassure them that I most certainly did.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The display unit must be lockable, but it does not need to be a safe nor does it need to be wall mounted. Mine is just a glass display cube that's is locked by a padlock.

So get a glass display cabinet with a key lock. It is a more expensive option though, getting a small display unit is the cheaper alternative.
    Thanks GP. I've taken the 1st step and applied to be a member of the Megatron Club. I hope they're still keeping the club active. I can't wait until this whole process is over so I can relax.

Quote Originally Posted by Robzy View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking! This alt mode doesn't even look like a replica. They've gone more cartoon accurate which should be great news for collectors.
    it may not be a replica but it would most likely fall into the category of imitation firearms, which most states will have some regulations about the owning / importing

Quote Originally Posted by aching878 View Post
    it may not be a replica but it would most likely fall into the category of imitation firearms, which most states will have some regulations about the owning / importing
    I bet none of those imitations transform - Hand me my alien gun!

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Yes, once they are in the country, it is very unlikely that they will be found in the domestic mail.
    However, in Queensland, a person wanting to dispose of (including selling) a weapon (including replica/imitation), is required to either surrender it to the Police or registered dealer, or privately to a person who is a permit holder in their jurisdiction. In the case of Queensland and WA, people don't need a permit for owning or buying replica weapons that are already in the country, so they will be okay.
    However, people in other states that require permits of some sort, will not be able to buy them legally from toy dealers in Queensland until they can prove that they meet their legal requirements... or else that toy dealer will be committing a serious offence.
    If a person sells a Megatron toy privately without any public evidence of it, the police probably won't care about it, but if there is a public sale of Megatrons (like on a website), the Federal Police could request or demand (with a warrant) all sales records pertaining to those Megatron toys, and it would be the toy dealer's responsibility to prove that they only sold to people who were allowed to own one in their state.
    The buyers could face prosecution if the Police wanted to go that far, but their main focus would be prosecuting the person or business knowingly selling them to unauthorised people.

In Queensland -

Naturally, if you don't require a "Permit to Acquire" or a Permit to own one in your state, the fact that the toy dealer is posting it to an address in that state, covers them for that sale.
    The rest of the states are subject to restrictions or Permits that a Queensland Toy Dealer would be best to consider if they don't want to face multiple weapons charges.

It might seem trivial at the moment, but it just takes one or two highlighted cases in the media of an imitation gun being used in crimes, and the Police would be directed to crack down on them by their superiors or politicians.
    Because as people have said, if it looks like a gun is being pointed at you when you are being robbed, are you going to try to work out if it is real or loaded before panicking... or even get the chance to determine if it is real as you are being intimidated by an offender who is waving it around?
    ...so really either way Victorian's should just get the Cover letter, the chance is low but if caught we could lose PC, is this the right assumption?

Makes me wonder, why are all the state's laws on this stuff differ for each, wouldn't one set of rules make them easier to manage?

Legally there is a difference between "imitation" and "replica", and different states have use the different meanings for their weapons legislations.

Imitation means that it can look like a weapon but doesn't work, and may not look exactly like a particular weapon, especially to regular people who wouldn't know for sure that it is a fake gun being waved in their faces.
    Replica in some states means that it is designed to look and work like a real gun (as a working replica), so it is actually like a knock-off... but other states use the term to refer to "fake replica", which is the same as Imitation.

This version of Megatron may have non-realistic colouring, and even if it wasn't an accurate Walther-P38, it would still look like a handgun to people who don't know the different types of handguns... and it would only need some black paint to make it more realistic.
    As an example, the gold version of MP-5 Megatron was still confiscated by Customs because it turned into something that resembled a gun, regardless of its colour or exact size. (it is only 50% bigger than the real gun, which is still within range of a real handgun if an offender is waving one in your face)

I will inquire this week with the 6 states, 2 territories and the federal body, and see which ones say it is a replica, an imitation or neither... and if either of the first two, if any permits are required.

Speculation before then is just going around in circles.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I will inquire this week with the 6 states, 2 territories and the federal body, and see which ones say it is a replica, an imitation or neither... and if either of the first two, if any permits are required.

Speculation before then is just going around in circles.
    Thanks bossbot *thumbs up*
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

Quote Originally Posted by llamatron View Post
    I'm confused - some places so no permit required for WA, others say yes. Can anyone clarify?
    Yeah sorry when I said permit, I was referring to a permit to import, not to own. We have it pretty lucky here.