Page 78 of 93 FirstFirst ... 5868737475767778798081828388 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial arts discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I know of a parent from her school that teaches a class at his home. I think I might take her to give that a try. She's a fairly shy little girl and going to a class with 10 or more students might scare her off. From what I have heard, he keeps his classes fairly small as he doesn't advertise.
    ^This sounds excellent. My best martial arts training have been in "no frills" classes like that.

Went to see the UFC in Sydney on Saturday. 11 fights with 11 finishes. An awesome day.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    Went to see the UFC in Sydney on Saturday. 11 fights with 11 finishes. An awesome day.
    Please explain. I'm picturing spine / heart / head rips
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Please explain. I'm picturing spine / heart / head rips
    Well fights go for 3 x 5 minute rounds if there are no KOs/TKO/submission. No fights went the distance. All the fights ended with either KO, TKO or submission. No organs being ripped off but a couple of guys were knocked out cold and one guy didn't tap in a submission so he drifted off into unconsciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    Well fights go for 3 x 5 minute rounds if there are no KOs/TKO/submission. No fights went the distance. All the fights ended with either KO, TKO or submission. No organs being ripped off but a couple of guys were knocked out cold and one guy didn't tap in a submission so he drifted off into unconsciousness.
    Awww... that's so not as exciting as what I had in mind. I reckon an underground UFC MK match would be awesome. Of course, if there was one, the first rule of UFC MK is we don't talk about UFC MK
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

I just had the mental image of a real life Babality. Weird.

Awww... that's so not as exciting as what I had in mind. I reckon an underground UFC MK match would be awesome. Of course, if there was one, the first rule of UFC MK is we don't talk about UFC MK
    About as close you'll get to an MK style finish to a UFC fight. Leslie Smith's cauliflower ear exploded after being hit repeatedly by Jessica Eye.

ha! look at that spray! i thought that only happened in Rocky movies

This article discusses fact vs fiction in Bushido, including how it was exploited by the Japanese government for propaganda purposes.

----------------------

I found this video which shows the evolution from Kung Fu to Karate. There are four martial artists; the first two are demonstrating Fujian Kung Fu forms (?White Crane & Five Ancestors? ), and the other two are demonstrating Okinawan Karate. The last person's kata is the same as a the Sanchin katas that I've seen IRL, but the third person is the one that I find interesting, as I've personally never seen that before. It appears to be the "missing link" between Fujian Kung Fu and modern day Karate -- possibly pre-20th century Karate! Because the closest thing I've been able to find to traditional Karate has been Gojuryu, as it is a style that originated from Okinawa. But even then, Gojuryu was developed around the time of the First World War.

I've also stumbled across this video of Gang Rou Quan Kung Fu, an incredibly obscure style of Fujian Kung Fu which may very well be a more direct ancestor of Karate (I believe that Gang Rou Quan is written as 剛柔拳 in Kanji, which is pronounced as Goujuuken in Japanese; the name of the Miyagi's Okinawan Karate system; and we know that Miyagi himself trained in Fuzhou and Fujian in Southern China (where he visited the grave of his Chinese grandmaster, Ryuryuko) before returning to Okinawa and founding his Karate Dojo).

Personal training update. My karate training will recommence in January just waiting on my membership card to arrive.
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast