View Poll Results: Combiner Wars Hound - worth getting?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • A army jeep instead of a bearded truck? Hells yeah!

4 25.00%
  • Only if cheap

3 18.75%
  • Only if...

3 18.75%
  • Na

2 12.50%
  • What a hell-hound! Awful!

4 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - CW Hound

Default Toy Review - CW Hound

Hound
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Combiner Wars
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco – Redeco of Swindle
    Wave – Wave 2, 2016
    Released here - not yet
    Approximate Retail Price - $28
    Approximate Size – 16cm
    Allegiance – Autobot
    Alt-mode – Army Jeep
    Main Features/Gimmicks – Can combine with others to form Sky Reign, comes with comic book
    Main Colours – Green, Silver, Black
    Main Accessories – Gun, hand/foot

Robot Mode
    Quite a nice looking Hound. The mould suits him really well and is indicative of his other incarnations. Good colours and poseability. Nice head sculpt too and the facial expression suits Hound quite well – no chain-beards here

Vehicle Mode
    Like Swindle this is his weaker mode. It’s not a bad looking jeep overall but it doesn’t quite work on some levels. That said, it’s a more grown-up looking jeep than the Universe version and a more milatristic looking jeep than the Alternators version. Having the star on the hood and being able to put the silver gun at the back and off to one side make this toy look more Hound’esque. Once again like Swindle there are little details like saddlebags etc on the sides which are easy to overlook as they have received no paint apps.

Transformation
    It’s Combiner Wars – you crazy kids all know what to do by now.

Overall
    Whereas Wheeljack was way brought down by his robot mode, Hound is slightly brought down by his vehicle mode. If you collect G1-themed characters then his robot mode is easily good enough to warrant buying. If you are just after a representation of Hound then maybe go the Universe 2.0 version (that one even comes with Ravage!) or the Alternators version.

P.S: If I was to rate this Wave of CW toys in order from great to crap it would go:

1. Sky Lynx
    2. Trailbreaker
    3. Hound
    4. Smokescreen
    5. Wheeljack

Hope these reviews have been of some help informing your potential purchases

I just noticed by looking at Trev's photos that this mould has faux headlights/grill on the waist! I failed to notice it before on Swindle, as the whole thing is smothered in purple, but the paint ops on Hound here really highlights it a lot better than on Swindle. While this kind of toy isn't my cup of tea, I am thoroughly impressed with what they've done.

In case no body knows, hound's gun can be held in place on his left shoulder

9:24 mark on optibotimus review
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F7jJcsqHKEU

Quote Originally Posted by G1Optimal View Post
    In case no body knows, hound's gun can be held in place on his left shoulder

9:24 mark on optibotimus review
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F7jJcsqHKEU
    Yeah I did that in my Swindle review to replicate his arm cannon. Tried it on Hound but it looked a bit odd so didn't bother for the pics

Ok cool

Ok cool
    Actually no - I got it wrong! I thought you meant on the side of the shoulder, you were talking about the top. Sorry mate

Nice review by the way - very good

Thats cool i found that youtube video while looking for wave 6 reviews so it not my video in case anyone is wondering.
    Last edited by G1Optimal; 1st March 2016 at 03:48 PM.

Thats cool i found that youtube video while looking for wave 6 reviews so it not my video in case anyone is wondering.
    Lol - I thought it was yours

Still worth a watch though

I'm going to go the opposite of Trev and suggest that his more modern jeep mode is a nifty update. The colours are a nice bright green - more suited to a toy than a military vehicle of any kind, but it does pop nicely in a TF display.

The robot mode is... OK. On the positive side his head sculpt is really nice and I love the detail on the waist mimicking the front headlights of a jeep (although I understand some don't like these kinds of cheats).

I would have liked his gun to be more "G1 Hound-esque", especially since there wasn't that kind of G1 hand gun even with the Universe release, but at least it's painted a nice silver.

I bought this guy as I'm a mad Hound fan and want to get every representation of him, but can't really recommend him unless you love Hound as a character or you desperately need to build Sky Reign (which I don't). If you want the mould, get Swindle.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Mbot i have read somewhere on tfw2005 that it look closer to a jackal

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackal_(vehicle)