Thread: Toy Review - Combiner Wars Ultra Magnus

Default Toy Review - Combiner Wars Ultra Magnus

Series - Combiner Wars
    Size/class - Leader
    Wave - 3
    New/remould/redeco – New
    Released here - June 2015
    Approximate Retail Price - $100
    Approximate Size - 22cm to top of head (antennae), 26cm to top of shoulder stacks
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - car carrier truck
    Main Features/Gimmicks – Minimus Ambus, weapons can combine
    Main Colours – Ultra Magnus = blue, white, red; Minimus Ambus = white, green
    Main Accessories - x2 rifles, x2 dual missile launchers

Minimus Ambus
    True to his name ("Minimus" means 'small' in Latin), Minimus Ambus stands at a dimunitive 5.3cm. Based on Alex Milne's design, Minimus has 6 points of articulation, with shoulders and hips on ball-socket joints, giving this little figure a reasonably good range of articulation. The transformation of the back/canopy part can be tricky because it's so small and hard to get a decent grip. There also doesn't appear to be any real mechanism to lock the shoulders into place, but at such a small size it's not as serious an issue as on larger toys, as there's less mass to drag the shoulders back as easily during play. The vehicle mode is a kind of "hover car" with no rolling wheels. It also has a Rodimus-esque spoiler on the back; not sure if that's some kind of in-joke (regarding Ultra Magnus' view towards Rodimus) or just a coincidence, I don't know.

Ultra Magnus
    Based on Nick Roche's design, Ultra Magnus features 19 points of articulation, which for a figure of this toy's nature, is rather impressive. Minimus Ambus sits inside the truck cab which becomes the core of the robot body, with a sculpted 'cockpit' interior. The overall colour scheme is more influenced by G1 Ultra Magnus' cartoon colours, particularly with the use of white thighs. The TakaraTOMY version uses more G1 toy accurate (and also IDW comic accurate) red thighs. Ultra Magnus comes with two missile launchers and two rifles, each of which have 5mm posts and can be placed on the shoulders or in the hands. The hands have fingers which can open and close, but unfortunately they cannot seem to hold any of the weapons firmly. I would have personally preferred solid fists with 5mm holes (finger articulation is already something we got from the MP toy). The all of these weapons can combine to form a war hammer, which of course is a homage to Animated and TF Prime Ultra Magni. While the TakaraTOMY clearly has more paint ops, the paint apps on the Hasbro version are also reasonably well done - there's a nice use of silver on the face, chest, belly and knees, which helps to break up the blue, red and white. My only main gripes about it would be:
    + Hubcaps really should be painted silver.
    + The red used for the chest panel is a distinctly darker shade of red than that used on the plastic for the body/trailer. As such, they do clash.
    Ultra Magnus does sport a neat looking Autobot insignia on the left side of his breastplate, in concordance with the Military Regalia Act.

The car carrier mode can hold up to four Commander Class or current Legends size figures. It can hold two Deluxes, but it's not really designed for this, and the Deluxes cannot freely roll in and out, and just look silly when packed in there.

Quality Assurance
    My toy came without a wheel! Hopefully this is a one off freak thing and nobody else has this problem.

Overall
    While the missing wheel on mine is incredibly aggravating, it's more of a QA issue rather than a design flaw. As far as the design of this toy goes, I'm thoroughly impressed. We all know that this is a conceptually challenging toy as the toy incorporates the truck cab into the robot without being a detachable and transformable robot itself.

Thanks for the review Gok! He looks really good in botmode. Hope you got that wheel sorted quickly and painlessly. Btw, what jet is that launching off Magnus in one of your photos?

Quote Originally Posted by Raptormesh View Post
    Thanks for the review Gok! He looks really good in botmode. Hope you got that wheel sorted quickly and painlessly. Btw, what jet is that launching off Magnus in one of your photos?
    Transformers Prime Commander Class Starscream.

That mode is the "Battle Station mode," which is not an official mode for this toy, but was an official mode for Diaclone Powered Convoy...

...and CW Ultra Magnus can also replicate this mode.

That missing wheel must be really bothersome Since they're just snap-ons, at least when it's on display you could swap which one is missing, so it's hidden a little? For play, i imagine you've already come up with repair scenarios

I had the Hasbro version ordered, but when they pushed it back a month I changed my order to the Tak/tom version for the better paint apps since it's going for the same price. Looking here I think I made the right choice, but it's still a damn fine looking Magnus in both modes I think the way Minimus sits in there looks very cool too - a plus the Hasbro version has since Trion being inside makes little sense. Anyway, can't wait for mine to finally get in.

P.S: Gok, I know we've decided to ignore each other online in order to keep the peace, but that's really sucky about the missing wheel mate. Hope ya can get it sorted

Missing wheel? Damn ...

I have to say, this is an incredibly well engineered figure. There's a couple of disappointing things (tightness of Minimus' backpack, hollow feet which can be overlooked, a loose left shoulder which doesn't support the pointless hammer) but as a modern day 21st century take on Ultra Magnus it is awesome.

In terms of Hasbros paint apps ... honestly, he's pretty damn detailed. Normally I opt for TT over Hasbro but in this particular case I wanted Minimus, not Alpha Trion.

All in all, highly recommended figure.

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    That missing wheel must be really bothersome Since they're just snap-ons, at least when it's on display you could swap which one is missing, so it's hidden a little? For play, i imagine you've already come up with repair scenarios
    They snap on, but they don't snap out (at least not easily). It's that kind of design where the pegs expand after being pushed through the hole. I attempted to remove the middle wheel on the other side to swap it (thus making the truck cab an even four-wheeler), but I couldn't get the sucker out!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    P.S: Gok, I know we've decided to ignore each other online in order to keep the peace, but that's really sucky about the missing wheel mate. Hope ya can get it sorted
    Thanks, Trev.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burn View Post
    Missing wheel? Damn ...

I have to say, this is an incredibly well engineered figure. There's a couple of disappointing things (tightness of Minimus' backpack, hollow feet which can be overlooked, a loose left shoulder which doesn't support the pointless hammer) but as a modern day 21st century take on Ultra Magnus it is awesome.

In terms of Hasbros paint apps ... honestly, he's pretty damn detailed. Normally I opt for TT over Hasbro but in this particular case I wanted Minimus, not Alpha Trion.

All in all, highly recommended figure.
    Mine can hold the hammer fine from the shoulders. The problem is from the hands because of the finger articulation. Toys with articulated fingers never hold weapons as tightly, but other toys try to compensate through the use of pegs and slots (BTs and some MPs do this). There are actually little pegs on the gun handles, but I haven't found any slots on the palms to peg them into. Perhaps it was something that was originally intended but got lost in communication when the hands were designed. <shrugs> He'd be able to hold the hammer easier if he could afford a two-handed grip, but that's not really a possibility given the inevitable bulk of the toy (very few Transformers can pull off a double handed sword grip, not even most (all?) MPs).

Okay, I've managed to remove and rearrange the wheels making it an even four wheeler. I tried it last night just using my finger nails which doesn't work but this time i used a closed pair of tin snips to apply greater pressure and it worked.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 8th June 2015 at 12:53 PM. Reason: pic added

Can the cab detach from the trailer?
    Thanks
    "Save the rebellion! Save the dream!" - Saw Gerrera

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateGalvatron View Post
    Can the cab detach from the trailer?
    Thanks
    Nope.