Page 61 of 72 FirstFirst ... 4151565758596061626364656671 ... LastLast

Thread: The Doctor Who thread

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    From in universe POV when a Time Lord regenerates the body is basically rolling a bunch of dice in a genetic lottery for their next appearance.
    Gotta disagree.

Sixth Doctor stated that he chose his looks based on something he'd seen before (Colin Bakers previous appearance in the series) and if memory recalls, Capaldi's Doctor said something similar.

Plus The Curator (Tom Baker) said to 11 that he may find himself revisiting some old faces in the future.

So to me, that seems to indicate that they have SOME control. Just not when it comes to the ginger gene apparently.

Today was the day I finished watching the classic series in chronological order (using recons with existing soundtracks where needed).
    Some thoughts:
    I still don't like the Second Doctor's stories. I'd go so far as to say season 6 was the worst to watch (although I blasted through the War Games). Season 22 was aesthetically bad but was entertaining to watch (like a car crash...)
    Sixth Doctor wasn't as bad as I remembered him.
    I think the show started losing it in season 19. Became more theatrical in set up eg lighting, acting. I think at this stage the program believed it was just enough to show up and wasn't trying as hard.
    The Third Doctor's run started off well but at about his fourth season it seemed to start running out of puff.
    The Doctor I want to go back ad rewatch is third season First Doctor. To my surprise I think he's edged out the Fourth Doctor as favourite.

I've already done Blakes 7 so the next series I'm planning to get through is the original Outer Limits.

How long did it take you to go through? It took me a few years, as I didn't want to watch more than 1 or 2 episodes a day. The Outer Limits isn't very good unfortunately. If you haven't seen it already, might I suggest 'Twilight Zone' instead?

I've been enjoying Dr Who ever since it was re-started with Eccleson. when I was a kid I was never allowed to watch it as my mum thought it was too grown up.

I have to say, calling it a children's show is a bit much. It's damn terrifying at times and certainly broaches some dark concepts, most of the long term villains come to mind.

young teens perhaps.

I have quite enjoyed all the doctors, there was a while there where the need of every episode to be saving the galaxy/universe/reality as we know it was getting a bit stale. I prefer the self contained episodes where the doctor and co are saving a few people in isolation that would have otherwise died if not for his/her intervention. that those episodes then gradually crescendo into a larger scope finale with unseen tie ins I really like. some seasons have don e this better than other.

I noticed a tweet the other day, they've announced a whole bunch of companions and people are wondering if the BBC are worried about the new Doctors ability to carry the show. I imagine the BBC worry about all of their shows, that's their job. hopefully they haven't interfered too much with the show runners plans. I am really looking forward to the Christmas special and honestly can't wait to see where they take the doctor from there.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by Demonac View Post
    How long did it take you to go through? It took me a few years, as I didn't want to watch more than 1 or 2 episodes a day. The Outer Limits isn't very good unfortunately. If you haven't seen it already, might I suggest 'Twilight Zone' instead?
    About a year I think. I averaged about one and a half stories a week I think. Second doctors run was a slog though.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've got a guide to the classic twilight zone so know most of the stories but I'm not that familiar with outer limits as much (apart from architects of fear)

Now that I think about it it must have been longer.... time is relative

The ABC are gearing up for the new Dr Who in December by showing the Eccleston episodes starting today - daily on channel 2/20/21 at 3.30pm and repeated on channel 23 at 8pm. Over 10 years old now.

Whos watching 2am tonight?

Hmm i was disappionted with the episode. It was nice when they involved the christmas truce during the war. So this means he knows from the very start of his life when he will be in conflict to regenerate, and he will survive everything up to that date.

Quote Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
    Hmm i was disappionted with the episode. It was nice when they involved the christmas truce during the war. So this means he knows from the very start of his life when he will be in conflict to regenerate, and he will survive everything up to that date.
    My understanding (and this might be fan theories) is that when different versions of the Doctor meet each other a temporal paradox prevents the younger Doctor from keeping the memories of the encounter (and the older Doctor only regains the memories as events happens in his/her timeline).

Edit: thinking more about Doctors meeting each other, with the teaser for this ep months ago I thought it might touch on a) The first Doctor starting the calculations to freeze Gallifrey in a single moment of time and b) the twelfth Doctor heading to Gallifrey to help save it at the end of the Time War.

But I'm not disappointed it didn't. Those are just two events we know happened because we saw them. We don't actually need them shown to us (like we didn't see when 9 of the other Doctors made the trip to do it)

I have been wondering today since the cliffhanger if the next series might take a page out of the third Doctor's book and ground her on Earth with no TARDIS but that might annoy the people who already annoyed by what they think the new series will be like.