Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from a budding collector!!

Smile Hello from a budding collector!!

Hey guys, a new collector here!! I'm from Sydney and currently doing a degree in engineering.

Story time: So a while back in the midst of my uni break I got really bored and re-watched the 2007 transformers movie for the first time since its release. I used to be crazy about them 10 years ago but never got any toys or merch. Now I don't know what happened but something sparked my obsession for transformers again and now I want to go about collecting those cool movie toys. I have trawled through the movie toys wiki and since I only have a small budget and limited space to display them, I want to collect just few of the really good looking carbots.

So I'm mainly looking at getting the bayverse figures initially, such as Human Alliance Jazz (who was taken way too soon ), HA Sideswipe, 2007 voyager ratchet and ironhide, Nightwatch Optimus Prime (love the alt mode look and his rubber wheels), and Striker/Buster prime.

I also wanted to get the MP10 prime, but might have to settle for the MPP10 KO as $250 is way over my budget for a single transformer.

I have a wishlist currently going on in the bee toy scout section if y'all wanna help me out. Also, having never been in the loop, I'm open to suggestions on some cool looking carbots that I should get, especially ones with rubber wheels and die-cast!!

Anyway, that's enough of me. Thanks for reading through this and hopefully I can contribute to this forum in some way.

Welcome to the boards!

You said "sparked my obsession for Transforner again..." were you into TFs previously? What did you collect?

I have a similar story, the 2007 movie rekindled my passion for TFs from my childhood. Heaps of people are pretty critical of the Bay films (I'm one of them! ) but I do recognise that each new interpretation of the franchise brings new fans (and sometimes brings back old fans), and that's a good thing IMO.

I have those HA movieverse figures you mentioned, they are some of my favourites of the movie lines.

MPs are a very big rabbit hole to go down... but a brilliant one at that!

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Welcome to the boards den. Really cool that we have the next wave of collectors coming through that grew up on the live action movies.

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    Welcome to the boards!

You said "sparked my obsession for Transforner again..." were you into TFs previously? What did you collect?

I have a similar story, the 2007 movie rekindled my passion for TFs from my childhood. Heaps of people are pretty critical of the Bay films (I'm one of them! ) but I do recognise that each new interpretation of the franchise brings new fans (and sometimes brings back old fans), and that's a good thing IMO.

I have those HA movieverse figures you mentioned, they are some of my favourites of the movie lines.

MPs are a very big rabbit hole to go down... but a brilliant one at that!
    Back when I was a kid I loved the older cartoons when they used to do re-runs, but as I got older I sorta grew out of it. Then the first bay movie came out along with the hype surrounding it and Peter Cullen's iconic "I am Optimus Prime" led me to collecting a few of the legion class toys but never could justify >$30 for the proper toys (a terrible mistake in hindsight, but one that could reoccur with these MPs). Although I loved the first movie, I too am critical of the subsequent releases but the toys they brought out were complex and really cool looking.

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    Welcome to the boards den. Really cool that we have the next wave of collectors coming through that grew up on the live action movies.
    Cheers for the welcome mate!! Not really a fan of the past few movies but here's hoping the next one is semi decent with excellent toys (looking at you Megatron!!)

Quote Originally Posted by den10 View Post
    Cheers for the welcome mate!! Not really a fan of the past few movies but here's hoping the next one is semi decent with excellent toys (looking at you Megatron!!)
    The new Megatron toy does look good and this is coming from a non movie collector though I seem to have ended up with quite a number of leader Optimus Primes. Love his design

Oh, yeah and welcome once again

Welcome aboard the board!

I think it's a common theme to 'grow' out of collecting for a few years. for me it was primarily because I wasn't into beast wars, and had no idea that the few following series even existed. I was drawn back in when Alternators/binaltech started coming out around 2005 or so.

I'm a big fan of the movie toys, the realistic alt modes and complex design really keeps me interested.

good luck in your search.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Welcome.

There are often bayverse figures available so I am sure you will be able to build your collection easily.

The MP-10 is worth it. I got mine with my tax return one year.

Welcome from a fellow Engineer! There are a few of us lurking on these boards.

Looking back 10 years (:O ) it really is amazing how good some of those movie toys really were.

And the good news for people like yourself is that are apparently looking a doing a bunch of Masterpiece level movie figures, which would make for a pretty awesome little display if you're starting fresh

Quote Originally Posted by den10 View Post
    I also wanted to get the MP10 prime, but might have to settle for the MPP10 KO as $250 is way over my budget for a single transformer.
    I would urge you to reconsider. Reasons include:
    * You may be able to purchase a cheaper MP10 second hand (I sold my Hasbro MP10 for $150 loose complete with box) or negotiate with a seller to pay by installments
    * Personal standards. You can take pride that the MP10 standing in your collection (and being played with in your hands ) is the genuine article and not some filthy fake.
    * Supporting creators. As a budding engineer yourself I'm sure that you can appreciate the work and effort that goes into the design process. Buying legit toys supports Hasbro/TakaraTOMY and hard working employees like Hasui Shogo etc. You also would not be supporting thieves who profit by stealing other people's work and deceiving collectors.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 5th March 2017 at 12:25 PM.