Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone Had Their Ikea Shelves Go boom?

It is a lot of Drama, the Cabinets have shattered in the past, but based on the article, it's a few isolated cases in a few countries out of probably millions of cabinets sold. It looks like safety glass, so it shatters into small pieces rather than large shards.

I don't have a detolf, but looking at it, it kind of looks like the glass is not supporting the cabinet in any way, it's just sitting in rails between the base and the top to hold it in place. I'd almost suggest that the ones that have broken have been improperly assembled and somehow a stress load has been applied to the glass that has over time built up and led to the failure of the glass. pure speculation but it's extremely unlikely for glass like this to fail without some kind of outside interference.

and talking about the malm cabinets being unsafe.. we bought some over a decade ago and they came with wall anchors then. I do not understand why there was ever a recall.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

It looks like it was the black detlofs that exploded... I have the white ones. So I should be ok

Seriously, I have had mine for a few years and they have also survived a move. We don't know how tightly they have been put together.

I bought 4 last week. Apart from the glass door, the sides and back are not fastened by any kind of screw. The top and bottom wooden base that hold the frame together are tightened with bolts on both top and bottom. If the top and bottom screws are too tight it might create pressure on the glass as it could push the top and bottom of the glass and press on it causing pressure and make the glass want to “bend”.

Bottom line - don’t over tighten the screws.

Quote Originally Posted by ITZTRU View Post

Bottom line - don’t over tighten the screws.
    To add to that
    Or you will be screwed,

Quote Originally Posted by G1Optimal View Post
    To add to that
    Or you will be screwed,
    Hit the nail on the head... doh

Quote Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
    Hit the nail on the head... doh
    Lmao