Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: would you pay more for a figure that had it's box

Default would you pay more for a figure that had it's box

This post is aimed at people who display there masterpiece figures out of there boxes but keep the boxes.

I recentely had the option between buying a loose mp-05g for $125 USD or buying a sealed mp05-g for $160 USD.

I imediately dismissed the loose option in favor of the sealed based om the fact that figures tend to be worth more during re sale if they have there box . This got me wondering why do we as collectors value the presence of the box during secons hand transactions even though we display the figure loose?

Is it simply the idea that a collector that keeps the boxes is more likely to take more care of there items ?
    Or is it just because its more satisfying to have a 100% complete figure including packaging ( I'd like to think this is my reasoning fpr preferring boxed toys)

Enlighten me , what makes you prefer a boxed toy even if your going to display it loose?

I like to keep boxes for a few reasons - if they have a nice design, to keep accessories in a place i'll remember, and for the few times i have to transport pricier figures or figures that could get damaged easily if not in a fitting plastic prison

That said, i don't think i would pay the extra amount you did, perhaps my limit would be something like $10 extra, or if there was some question as to the nature of the loose toy (knockoff or factory reject etc)

I've purchased all of my MPs MISB. Never bought a loose MP before (I rarely buy loose toys period ). I've chucked out most of the Hasbro boxes but kept the Takara ones, although I'm starting to run out of space for those too... might have to start flattening Takara boxes in the near future.

I think that 2nd hand sales which include a good condition box are more valuable to potential buyers because it means that the product is closer to "as new" than just the figure by itself.

If it comes with the original packaging and all of the instructions the secondary buyer has had the full experience of receiving the product as new - but for a price below buying a brand new version at a similar time.

I like to buy sealed toys so I know they're new. Any flaws are production errors or my fault, not someone else's. Then I throw out the boxes - it's not worth wasting my space with boxes just in case I resell them. I keep G1 and G2 packaging - anything newer is just landfill and recycling. If I had a choice between a loose mint toy with stickers unapplied then I'd prefer that than a second-hand one with all its packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    I like to buy sealed toys so I know they're new. Any flaws are production errors or my fault, not someone else's.
    Excellent points. If it's a production fault, then you should be able to seek recompense (e.g. product exchange, refund, replacement part). My MP-1 Convoy was missing one small panel and my MP Rumble came with two of the same-side piledriver; in both cases, Takara(TOMY) sent me replacement parts. I've had a few local bought TFs that I was able to easily bring back to the store for a refund or exchange (e.g. my Generations Drift came w/ two of the same-side fists).

But another thing is, there are typically no loose versions of the toy available on the secondary market when I buy my toys anyway. With the sole exception of Red Alert, all of my Japanese Masterpieces were pre-ordered. All of my Hasbro MPs were purchased new from Toys R Us. Another advantage with purchasing toys new is that you don't risk inadvertently picking up a counterfeit; while there may be obvious tell-tale signs, it's just one less hassle to worry about. I've handled a counterfeit MP Alert IRL; the quality is rubbish. Although getting a MISB MP Alert off the secondary market ended up costing me ≈$100 (incl. postage; about double what it would've cost me had I pre-ordered it), I was willing to pay the price to get a new-condition legitimate MP Alert off the secondary market (and besides, even if Hasbro were to release this toy locally in future, it would cost $100 at TRU anyway #AURRP ).

I have always exclusively bought stuff in box, never loose. If it's something like a G1 toy that is really difficult and expensive to find with box, I'll probably get a loose complete one though.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I don't have a big preference .

Sure I take misb as first
    Second mib
    Third box second hand with minor wear
    Forth loose.

I open my toy in regardless of what I bought.

There are Rodimus mp 2nd ver loose ATM.
    For just display fun, I wouldn't mind but I have version 1 and is good enough.

It all zooms down to kind of collector you are.
    I transform and admire my toys. I don't keep them sealed if I don't need to.
    No point getting misb if you never even enjoyed the toy, your intent is for value status not the admiration of the toy at all.

But end of the day, it what makes you happy.
    I have met a parent who bought a masterpiece smokescreen for his three year old son, so he wouldn't care what happens to the toy at all.

Megatran Guest

Ahhhh... Loose vs Complete package. The age old question.

Sit down & listen to the words of this agony uncle.
    Back when I was your age, I'd always go for loose. The looser the better. Cheap, so much fun & happy endings. Those days are well & truly behind me now. These days I'd always recommend to go for the complete package, even if it means having to folk out a bit more moolah. What ever your choice & above all, make sure the other party uses adequate protection.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Excellent points. If it's a production fault, then you should be able to seek recompense (e.g. product exchange, refund, replacement part).
    Well, yeah, although I think there might be a statute of limitations on some toys - and it turns out that sometimes (ironically) it's better to buy second hand toys than ones that are sealed. I opened a MISB Masters of the Universe Multi-Bot from 1986 earlier this year, and it turned out that a loose one would have been in better condition than the sealed one - the plastic had reacted badly with the plastic bags inside the box. It's a bit like the plasticiser issue with Pretender Monster shells.