Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why doesn't TakaraTomy employ more MP designers?

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    Is it a Japanese honour kind of thing or do they just not want my money?!
    Neither exactly, though closer to the latter than the former.
    Basically, every time this question (or a similar one) gets asked at Botcon etc., the answer comes down to "Because HTTs main Transformers income stream is from mass-retail sales to kids/parents of kids". It's ultimately more profitable for them to make a (usually sub-standard) product that many Mums and Dads will buy for Junior than a higher-quality product that Collectors will buy but your average parent will probably baulk at spending $50-$100 on. A penny from the masses beats a pound for the few, that sort of thing. They know high-end lines are profitable, but they're not as profitable, so they don't invest all that much time and/or money (relatively speaking) into them.
    Which is partially why I personally am just fine with 3rd party offerings - it's 'the market' at work. HasTakTom could at the very least cripple - albeit probably not destroy outright at this point - the 3rd Party scene within months if they wanted simply by producing more high-end products themselves, but it's not part of their business strategy. Fair enough, and I still enjoy a lot of official HTT TFs, but I'm not going to skip on better offerings (if I want them enough to justify the price) because of their brand name either. Just my opinion, mind you.
    As for why they don't just subcontract their Collector-grade stuff directly, it's partially because of the aforementioned business plan, partially because of the IP issue (not theft exactly, given that aside from outright KOs most 3P stuff just skates inside the legally-distinct line in the same way that Universe Sunstreaker and Sideswipe's alt-modes are legally distinct from actual Lamborghinis), and probably mostly about safety standards. If Hasbro were to co-opt, say, Unique Toys pseudo-Terrorcons, and some more-dollars-than-sense parent picked one up for their kid who them tried eating it and choked on a small piece or broke it and hurt themselves trying to eat the shards, then that'd be lawsuit city. HasTakTom has to pay more attention to child safety standards etc. than 3PPs.

TL;DR version = More money + less effort + less risk.
    Last edited by Ode to a Grasshopper; 16th January 2015 at 08:51 PM.

You all raise good points that i should have thought of but didn't cause i posted too early in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    kurdt_the_goat: have you considered just calling TakaraTOMY and asking them directly? Ignore the phone number on the bottom/back of your Japanese TF packaging, that only works for domestic calls. There's now a separate number for international callers (although you(r wife) will still need to communicate in Japanese), which is +81-3-5650-1031.
    I hadn't considered it - i can't speak fluently and I could never convince my wife Not only that - it's ok on the forums to be a whining entitled fanboy but i'd rather not say it aloud

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by nexusnixx View Post
    I believe Takaratomy wants to keep the masterpieve line slow to release to create an "exclusive" feel and not cater to mass production mass market type of product.

After all good things come to those who wait.
    Almost everything from TT are reissued for masterpiece line. I have never regarded any transformers masterpieces in any form of exclusiveness to be honest. It be kind of dumb if they did as we have new collectors every year.

There is also an issue where WE ARE ALL GETTING OLD, if you don't come out items in time, the generation that actually appriciates this line will go astray.

Even I get pissed off with Bandai at times being so slow in releasing old establish characters not release yet in their popular Master Grade line. Why? because the older I get, the more "I want it" becomes really less. This same goes for masterpieces. If I waited long enough and nothing is really coming out except same old bunch of seekers repainted and transparent Soundwave for the decepticons...... I think I am almost done with this line.

The Eva prime, the Bupa Prime, just tells me, there anint anything really left to sell. I have a reserved list of Autobot cars that I will buy and something for the Decepticons. Other than that, my cabinet is full, that will be it. Hence my neglect for G2 bee, its not that it isn't nice, I have started to draw a line.

I have began regretted buying Exhaust due to the recent changes. I think I am quite done.

I'm not a fan of their tangential repaints either but there are plenty of other characters that haven't been done yet. The line is far from dead. Guys like Ironhide and his inevitable Ratchet repaint will get everyone interested again.
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

Masterpiece toys are like BotCon toys...

When they release one or two a year and they become exciting with added anticipation (and more affordable to collectors who have a tight budget).

But if they release 15-20 per year because of how well received the 1-2 per year are, each one becomes less exciting because it's about every two weeks (which results in many getting 3 or 4 at the same time to save shipping), so the concept itself also becomes diluted to the point of it being treated as no more special than any other main-line... and then there is the cost means many collectors have to sacrifice ones they want because they can't afford that many in a year.

That's what happened with the BotCon toys when FunPub took over. They just don't hold the same excitement anymore because FunPub flooded the market with "BotCon toys"... and the rare times that they had a good year of toys, many can't afford all the ones they want.

So for me, "less" is "more" when it comes to Masterpiece toys. Keep the number limited, and even though it can be a frustrating wait, it is also an exciting wait in the final weeks.
    Like hand-crafted artwork over mass-produced printings - quality over quantity... if they turn it into a major source or revenue to spit out 20+ a year, they will streamline the process to the point of producing toys that will become no better than mainline deluxe toys.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I would think releasing 5-7 max is the tipping point. Most of the mps release are not actually new anyway, and are repaints and hence why people are feeling bored.

Magnus, Wheeljack, Bumblebee were what I liked. Skywarp, green/purple prime, gold megatron are not what I be considering as a release.

Starsaber would be something for me to look forward to than mp Exhaust.

Yeah i was just thinking it'd be nice to have 4 new moulds a year (1 every 3 months). I agree that the wait helps build appreciation but at ~6-9 months (longer usually if you're disregarding redecos) from reveal to release, when i look back i feel you spend so much more time waiting than enjoying them! I'm probably more excited when they're first shown and promo pics come out, than when they actually release!

Last year was good for new moulds but on a poor schedule imo, why release Bumblebee and Magnus just a month apart? A more even spread would be better.

Ideally i'd love for them to be surprises and be able to buy at the shops after discovering a new one was out; no early announcement. I could avoid news but the need to preorder and there being virtually no retail presence (here) makes that impossible.

Yes... too long a wait, and if there are flaws or criticisms, they seem worse for making us wait so long for the next toy.

One every three to four months is good with a couple redecos each year, as we get about 6 months of hints, designs, prototypes and colour product images, which can then overlap with the previous one to cover those who are more selective and skip some.