Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Hardware and building thread

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    So how are you going with looking for a video card?
    Going to have to wait until the new year for budgetary reason, but the GTX 960 copes pretty well with everything I've thrown at it so far - so I'll see what my options are when I've got the funds

I know nobody here is bawler enough to buy it but for the low low price of $3000 USD you can buy the most powerful graphics card ever. The Nvidia Titan V. It's 9 X as powerful as the Titan Xp at GPU compute, but we don't know how much better it is in gaming. Anyone with this in their system has more dollars than sense.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/titan/t...-tnvptlh-29190

I know nobody here is bawler enough to buy it but for the low low price of $3000 USD you can buy the most powerful graphics card ever. The Nvidia Titan V. It's 9 X as powerful as the Titan Xp at GPU compute, but we don't know how much better it is in gaming. Anyone with this in their system has more dollars than sense.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/titan/t...-tnvptlh-29190
    Wow. That is a crazy amount of money just for a graphics card.

I'm starting to put together a plan for a new system.

I haven't done a whole lot of research yet but thanks to the PC parts picker website, I've thrown together a basic plan for a build.

I'm looking for something that will boot fast (hence the M.2 SSD)
    something that will play games happily
    do some CAD work
    Process my gopro footage when I eventually get to it
    partner with a network storage solution as a backup and central hub for the home with regards to media storage.
    stay fast in applications for an extended period so my Mrs complains about it less.
    I still buy CD's and would like to play Blu-rays so an optical drive is a thing.
    For the moment I'm happy with the mouse, monitor and keyboard on the existing build.

My current machine was built in 2009 and has lasted well but the HDD's are filling up and it's getting flakey.

I'm not asking for an in depth analysis but does anyone see any glaring problems, a little feedback would be appreciated.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

One glaring issue, no power supply. Add at least a 700w PSU to your build. Corsair is a very common high quality PSU brand.

I use this one

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/...-cp-9020137-na

One glaring issue, no power supply. Add at least a 700w PSU to your build. Corsair is a very common high quality PSU brand.

I use this one

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/...-cp-9020137-na
    HAHA, That's embarrassing, I picked one but put it in the inventory instead of the parts list.

trying again.
    I think I've picked a different Video Card as well, the one in yesterdays list was not intended, not sure how it got in. For some reason the system power required seems a lot lower than yesterday (probably a bit to do with the card, I'm guessing something hasn't filtered properly. I know that it's good to have at least a 20% overhead on available power but at the moment a 750W unit looks a little high.

I might look at trimming some fat, it's currently more expensive than any rig I've ever built/bought and the price doesn't include a screen or peripherals.

At this stage I think it's alright though. fairly long lived hopefully.

That looks better and since you have gone with a GTX 1070 instead of the 1080 Ti you had listed yesterday your power requirements are greatly reduced so if you want to save a couple of bucks you could step down to a 650w PSU. Though a higher wattage PSU than you need never hurts.

One thing I should note. If you need the parts right away then by all means order now. But if you can wait 2 to 4 months Nvidia Volta (or a derivative of it) will be available to people that don't want to spend $3000 on a scientific video card.

That will have the effect of the second hand market will get flooded with 10 series cards like the one I'll be selling, so possible cheap video card there. Or you can get a shiny new next gen Nvidia video card.

Unlike going from one CPU generation to the next where you don't get a missive uplift from going to the new generation (Bulldozer to Ryzen is the exception to the rule) GPUs (Nvidia in particular) can get you a huge boost in performance over the previous gen.

That said if you need the parts now then don't sweat waiting for Volta.

One last thing. On many high end builds like yours you can save up to about three hundred dollars by buying the expensive stuff from amazon.com over buying locally. #AustraliaTax

very interesting thanks.

I'm probably better off putting it together sooner rather than later, I'm not sure how long our existing machine has before it craps out properly.

Amazon is a good tip, especially at the moment with the dollar climbing a few cents. I don't know why that never occurred to me.

I'm going to look into this Volta anyway, just out of curiosity.

thanks again so much for your help and thoughts.

Hi guys, this isn't a specific building question but I can't find a more appropriate thread for it so please forgive me.

I have a Wordpress Blog that I have through iPage. Times in the past when I have updated WP on my PC (the same way you would update an app on your phone) it has stopped me being able to upload pictures. Sometimes this has been able to be rectified via me deleting extensions or otherwise once I was able to do it through FileZilla.

However this time I cant seem to be able to. I've forgotten all my login details for Filezilla (since I only ever used it once long ago) and can't seem to figure out how to get them to send me a new username and password. iPage is no help as they just handle you paying for your domain name and WP itself is no help unless you want to pay through the nose to talk to one of their admins.

Does anyone have any idea what I could do? I am very non-tech-savvy so stuff that is a two minute job for someone else is a two-days-of-pulling-my-hair-out for me. And embarassingly I am one of those people that when it comes to computers needs to be baby-stepped through every minor step

Thanks in advance for any assistance any of you can provide

tempted to get a cheap <1tb 2.5" HDD to back up my system SSD - would there be any issue in mounting a 7mm drive on a slot designed for an SSD? (specifically the tray that mounts behind the motherboard on the Fractal Design Define/Meshify C)