Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: High resolution images of upcoming 25th Anniv/Animated figures

Ow, my wallet. Universe is looking better than Animated, since all I want are the Dinobots and Blitzwing, after which my want list for Animated runs out.

So, Snarl is Slag. So what will Snarl be, now that the Triceratops Dinobot has his name? Sabreback?

(I refuse to accept him being called Striker. That name is made of fail.)

they look awesome anyone know when they will be here?

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Man - these all look fantastic! I love Cyclonus, Hound, Inferno and the Legends - but where are the pics of COSMOS???

I also love the new Animated figs... Swindle and Blurr = *drool*

Quote Originally Posted by FFN View Post
    Copyright is for ideas and concepts. Trademarks are for names.
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by FFN View Post
    The Slag thing is due to sensitivities in the UK, 'slag' being a slang/swear word over there and all.
    Yeah, that's the reason! Slag is offensive to women... but what I don't understand is, a few years ago they made "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me"... and got away with it - ("Shag" is actually an offensive word in the UK - just like the F word)!

Oh well, he shall be called Slag in my collection... same goes for Bombshell and Octane

Cyclonus looks bloody brilliant!! I love how they've given him Nightstick. Inferno looks really nice too. The others look alright. Cheetor's beast mode looks interesting but that robot mode kinda looks fail. The face looks far too feline to me. Hopefully it'll look better when transformed correctly (what is it with Hasbro not knowing how to transform their own toys?!).

Quote Originally Posted by Stompy
    Interesting decision to have Ravage packed in with Hound.
    (said in See-Threepio voice): Interesting is hardly the word I would use.

Quote Originally Posted by FFN
    The likely scenario is they cannot trademark Bombshell, probably due to somebody else holding the trademark (or something very similar) in the same category. A few years ago Hasbro had a female GI Joe figure they were going to name Bombshell. But due to them not being able to secure the trademark for that, they went with Bombstrike.

If somebody has secured a trademark, you can't just stick 'Autobot' or 'Decepticon' in front of the name for your own purposes, if you're wondering.
    So call it Bombstrike or Bomb-blast then. Or better yet, Bomb-Burst, then it'd be a double G1 homage. Hasbro created the name "Shockblast" I don't see why they couldn't have done something similar for Bombshell.

Quote Originally Posted by FFN
    The Slag thing is due to sensitivities in the UK, 'slag' being a slang/swear word over there and all.
    I don't buy that.

While I'm aware of what "slag" means in colloquial British English, there's this thing called context. Had they called a female Transformer "Slag" then sure, that'd be kinda weird. But considering that "Slag" is in reference to a Dinobot flamethrower, then it's understandable. Some people may giggle, but they'd get over it.

Also consider that "Slag" was never an issue for Hasbro UK and Marvel UK during G1 and G2. Slag was a very prominent character who had a greater appearance in UK G1 canon than over in the US - heck, all the Dinobots had a more prominent appearance, and arguably better written too due to Simon Furman's personal fondness for the Dinobots (especially Grimlock, whom Furman admits is his all time favourite Transformer, not that we couldn't tell! ).

Also, negative connotations in colloquial British English never stopped Hasbro from creating the names "Night Slash Cheetor" and - wait for it - SLAPPER (which has the same meaning as slag in derogatory UK English!!).

Then there was "Windbreaker" and Hasbro's repeated penchant for using "Scattor"; etc. "Scat" means sh!t (from the Greek word σκατός (Skatos)). Scatology is a branch of biomedical science dealing with the study of fecal excrement.

So...
    Scattorshot = someone who shoots feces (could be appropriate for a TF with an ape/monkey alt mode )
    Scattorbrain = <commence laughing now>
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 20th September 2008 at 09:02 AM.

I read somewhere that the reason they are using Snarl instead of Slag is because Hasbro (Archer) does not like a character having the same name as a Cybertronian swear word.

I think he said so in the Botcon panel but I need to check up on it. However it does follow the trend just like Downshift, Tankor, etc.

Man, they just can't up and change a characters name!! Expecially if in the future they release that character and have to find his name somewhere else..

Loving the Legends and the Universe Deluxes, as well as Animated Swindle.
    Inferno should be a deluxe as well though.

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Quote Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
    Man, they just can't up and change a characters name!! Expecially if in the future they release that character and have to find his name somewhere else..
    QFT!!!

Imagine changing Darth Vader's name??! This is why I hate that 1 person has the ability to decide whether or not the name "Wheeljack" gets used!

loving the Robot heroes, they are getting more diverse this wave (RID and BM)!!!

i love how the classics line incorporates different designs for the characters from over the toylines, cyclonus looks like he is a mixmish of G1 and armada and inferno looks like the action master version

i think starscream premium is more whitter...
    Wanted items:
    eHobby Orion Pax and Dion

Quote Originally Posted by kup
    I read somewhere that the reason they are using Snarl instead of Slag is because Hasbro (Archer) does not like a character having the same name as a Cybertronian swear word.

I think he said so in the Botcon panel but I need to check up on it. However it does follow the trend just like Downshift, Tankor, etc.
    *sigh* Archer needs to remember this thing called CONTEXT. After all, in English the word "Dick" can be a swear word or a perfectly acceptable name for a male.

Quote Originally Posted by Robzy
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippo
    QFT!!!

Imagine changing Darth Vader's name??! This is why I hate that 1 person has the ability to decide whether or not the name "Wheeljack" gets used!
    +1 qft

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    I think they all look awesome, but you can be sure these are the same kind of exaggerated, touched up, unfortunately false, back-of-the-package pics we've seen on Universe and Classics, which cheapens the whole thing for me.

Hear, hear! I seriously doubt that the paint apps on these upcoming figures will be as splendid as what is shown. These are IMO not High res pics BUT high Touched up Pics . Anyways im getting em. They put Cyclonus in that size category and they make Galvatron into a puny figure!!! WTF!!
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]