Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516172232 ... LastLast

Thread: 15th Anniversary banner details

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    As mentioned by Skywarp in the other topic, the Megatron represents 1996 and Sideburn represents 2011, while Outback represents Australia.
    Ah right. Alpha and Omega... cool. I thought Megatron was there cos of the whole Australian Crocodile thing (works on 2 levels I guess)

Megatron's supposed to be a gater... which is why the JP version was called Megaligator (in the Convobat vs Megaligator set). And Alligators are only native to America and China - Crocs are everywhere, but we are known for them in Oz.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Megatron's supposed to be a gater... which is why the JP version was called Megaligator (in the Convobat vs Megaligator set). And Alligators are only native to America and China - Crocs are everywhere, but we are known for them in Oz.
    Continued discussion here.

Anyway, when I saw him next to Outback I just assumed it was a reference to crocs. I know crocs aren't indigenous to Australia, but as you said, Australia is widely known for them.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I know crocs aren't indigenous to Australia, but as you said, Australia is widely known for them.
    Say what? - How can they not be indigenous when fossils have been found?, I know Alligators and Kamens aren't native but I'm pretty sure that Crocs are.
    (That or I've been taught incorrectly all my life by successive teachers )

Remember that crocodile covers any species within the crocodylidae family. There maybe some species of crocodiles that are indigenous to Australia -- I don't know -- but there are certainly many species of crocodiles that exist outside of Australia and weren't introduced there by humans. e.g. the Nile Crocodile is commonly found in Egypt, Ethiopia, Somalia, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe. The word crocodile itself comes from Ancient Greek (crocodilos)... so clearly they had encounters with crocodiles long before European contact with Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Remember that crocodile covers any species within the crocodylidae family. There maybe some species of crocodiles that are indigenous to Australia -- I don't know -- but there are certainly many species of crocodiles that exist outside of Australia and weren't introduced there by humans. e.g. the Nile Crocodile is commonly found in Egypt, Ethiopia, Somalia, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe. The word crocodile itself comes from Ancient Greek (crocodilos)... so clearly they had encounters with crocodiles long before European contact with Australia.
    Indeed they did, when they came into contact with the Ancient Egyptians.
    Well, I did a quick sift through some sites and they all stated that the Australian Crocodiles, both Salt and Fresh water varieties, are indigenous to Australia and are likely to of splintered when Australia separated from Africa.

I agree that 'Crocodile' can be used to describe the entire Genous, but for the sake of those who aren't particularly privy to the scientific names of species, of which I'm one , you can see how using Crocodile to describe an Alligator could be very confusing.

It's just a banner. No need to make such a fuss

This weeks banner is by Paulbot.

Sweet! Love the old font and worn look Paulbot!
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Ooh...
    Another awesome banner that has a really cool look to it, well done Paulbot.