Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Planet X vs Fansproject not-Sludge

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    I always saw them as "Wings" too, just not the sort used for flight is all - More so as decorative or ornamental, sort of like those banners that the Chinese & Japanese used to adorn themselves with.
    (Not to mention the kibble had to go somewhere didn't it? )
    Like Capes or cloaks
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

I wanna get one of these FoC/IDW dinobot lines, but I'm wondering which one scales best with Toyworld Orion and generations leader Jetfire. TW Orion is currently my go to Optimus for IDW, and I'm settling with leader Jetfire to avoid buying that DacaToys mess of a figure. Anyone have a suggestions?

Now I've had a bit more time with Fansproject Columpio, I've noticed some things that aren't perfect.
    - He's got some sharp bits of plastic either side of his head that can be a bit dangerous if you're not careful
    - My Columpio's head/neck joint is a little loose. An easy enough fix.
    - He doesn't hold his weapons very securely, perhaps a trade off for the finger articulation. The gun fits against his forearm reasonably well but the sword seems to clash with the forearm, forcing it forward on an angle, which is an issue since he can't hold the sword tightly to start with.
    - The transformation of the rear dino legs to robot mode is almost non-existent - they just sort of hang out there. I remember the G1 toy being a little better in this regard.
    - The robot feet kinda hang out of his back in Dino-mode, they don't secure very well.
    - Drepan (the little partner dude who transforms into an axe/mace weapon) has the weapon handle hanging out of his back. Doesn't fold up, isn't hidden, just sticks out there.

On the positive side:
    -The sculpt is just stunning. Intricate, appropriately detailed, bulky where he needs to be and very reminiscent of the G1 toy.
    - The colours are gorgeous, deep and vibrant, with nice highlights and colour apps that break up the metallic grey nicely. No Hasbro grey in site!
    - Awesome Dino-mode - looks like a mean fighter rather than a heavy, bloated lump.
    - Great articulation - on par with an MP. Even Drepan has an impressive amount of articulation and detailing for such a small figure.

I totally agree with the sentiments about the 'wings.' Dinobots need wings. It's part of their aesthetic. Columpio has them, but they're not prominent, which is a shame. You can swivel a small part of the wings out to have them stick out a bit more, but it looks kinda funny when you do.

Others might be turned off by the metallic paint rather than chrome and gold chrome on the original Sludge - I think the SDCC exclusive version had gold chrome parts? - but I don't mind so much.

Overall I still think he's awesome and well worth the dollars.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Am maybe I am the only one who grew up thinking that's why the Dinobots can fly in robot mode when the other Autobots needed jetpacks.
    Now that you pointed it out, they do look like wings. Grimlock has them too!
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Got my Columpio recently and now i've had him a bit, i'm not quite sure whether i'll get more. Maybe just my fav dinobots instead of a whole set now.

He's a bit kibble-heavy on the back and particularly the legs - owing to a pretty basic transformation. It feels very G1-like in that sense, there's really not a whole lot of clever engineering or anything, kind of old school. But he looks fantastic in both modes despite this - a great colour scheme, great detailing that isn't overdone, very well proportioned - it's kind of amazing such a simple transformation can get 2 great looking modes. The plastic quality is very high and i can't find even a tiny paint error.

His thighs are a little loose for the weight of his legs, though he can still pose fine, they probably would have been better as ratchets (which is odd, since the knees are ratchets). Mine can hold the sword well, but the gun - the handle seems like it was designed for a different fist altogether, it's not secure at all. Thankfully it can be placed in a few other spots, but it's a strange oversight.

Drepan leaves a lot to be desired though. Complaints have probably been heard already, mainly the inexplicable handle protruding from his back. Maybe they thought you could hold him by the handle and do a targetmaster puppet show or something. If anyone wants to buy my Drepan let me know :P

Overall i do like it, but i feel like maybe these were rushed a little; the visual appeal has benefitted, because it hasn't been over complicated through constant tweaking - but there's some basic oversights that could have been ironed out quite easily i think.

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    Got my Columpio recently and now i've had him a bit, i'm not quite sure whether i'll get more. Maybe just my fav dinobots instead of a whole set now.

He's a bit kibble-heavy on the back and particularly the legs - owing to a pretty basic transformation. It feels very G1-like in that sense, there's really not a whole lot of clever engineering or anything, kind of old school. But he looks fantastic in both modes despite this - a great colour scheme, great detailing that isn't overdone, very well proportioned - it's kind of amazing such a simple transformation can get 2 great looking modes. The plastic quality is very high and i can't find even a tiny paint error.

His thighs are a little loose for the weight of his legs, though he can still pose fine, they probably would have been better as ratchets (which is odd, since the knees are ratchets). Mine can hold the sword well, but the gun - the handle seems like it was designed for a different fist altogether, it's not secure at all. Thankfully it can be placed in a few other spots, but it's a strange oversight.

Drepan leaves a lot to be desired though. Complaints have probably been heard already, mainly the inexplicable handle protruding from his back. Maybe they thought you could hold him by the handle and do a targetmaster puppet show or something. If anyone wants to buy my Drepan let me know :P

Overall i do like it, but i feel like maybe these were rushed a little; the visual appeal has benefitted, because it hasn't been over complicated through constant tweaking - but there's some basic oversights that could have been ironed out quite easily i think.
    Totally agreed. I think of current FP lines the Function X and Warbot lines excite me. Everything else, not so much.

The new pics of the Planet X's Sludge and Snarl look amazing. Can't wait for them to release these.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

I quite like Columpio, but he's not perfect. Despite his weaknesses I think he's a promising start though, as FP in the past have usually improved their lines on the run, At least when it comes to their Insections, Stunticons and Headmasters the first toy to be released is usually a bit rough around the edges, I'm expecting a bit more from the next one.