Page 29 of 55 FirstFirst ... 91924252627282930313233343949 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic book thread ON!

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeve View Post
    I haven't cried like that since the ending of 'The Green Mile'. I was a mess.

And here's an interesting piece regarding the death of Wildstorm.
    Good thing Dynamite picked up The Boys title love that series! So brutal as it should be. NO namby pamby heroes here hehehe
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

I haven't cried like that since the ending of 'The Green Mile'. I was a mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow
    It's one of the great endings of any comic series ever! I even crie... ahem... I mean, I was all manly about then ending and then went out and drank beer and cooked dead animals on the barbecue and stuff.
    Ok I'm going to read it again and if I don't tear up or feel any emotion I'm either a soulless monster or you guys are over-emotional girlyboys.

And here's an interesting piece regarding the death of Wildstorm.
    Wow! That was an interesting article. So typical of a giant corporation shooting themselves in the foot while screwing up the brilliance of individual creators.
    Paul Levitz sounds like a right douchebag...
    Quote Originally Posted by article
    cause Paul Levitz to personally intervene, changing dialogue and finished art because they offended his sensibilities
    Oh sorry bitch! We didn't realise cutting edge, brilliant writing would offend your delicate sensibilities.
    However conflict, especially over V For Vendetta and League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen with Paul Levitz would see him leave....Moore would not write for DC or Wildstorm again.
    Nice one Pauly. Lose the most acclaimed author in the entire history of comic books because you presided over the raping of his creations into Hollywood diarrhea. Good one, dude.
    Paul Levitz so violently reacted to this series on publication, despite sales that started at 60,000 and rose, that the series was cancelled and Dynamite picked it up.
    O.M.F.G! 'The Boys' is comic books at their satirical and violent best.
    Paul Levitz...somebody needs to put you down and put you down hard. You have lost for your company Mark Millar (Kick Ass, The Authority, The Ultimates), Alan Moore (Watchmen, Swamp Thing, From Hell, V for Vendetta)
    Garth Ennis (Preacher, Hellblazer, The Boys, Punisher)

Quote Originally Posted by SamLoi888 View Post
    Ok I'm going to read it again and if I don't tear up or feel any emotion I'm either a soulless monster or you guys are over-emotional girlyboys.
    The grape scene. That's where it hits.

It was particularly hard for me because I'd read the entire series over the course of a couple of days, so everything was still fresh in my mind. You travel with the characters (and in this case a pivotal character), you become a part of their group, so when something happens you feel it's happened to a close friend. Vaughn did an excellent job with the character development and building this sense of vicarious osmosis. He's a truly phenomenal writer.

Crap, it's been forever (okay August 2009) since I've visited OTCA.

I'm glad to see the comic book thread I created is still going strong.

So to kick off my return, what's everybody's favourite ongoing title at the moment?

Heroic Age Thunderbolts has knocked Secret Warriors off the top spot for me. Love the new team, love Kev Walker's art, though it looks like he won't be covering the Shadowland tie ins though.

Nick Spencers Morning Glories (runaways meets lost) amazing book, and only 2 issues in.

OK, so I thought I was reading Secret Warriors, not Nick Fury and the howling friggin' commandos, as much as I love them, it was not what the book was meant to be about! Bring on #20

Thunderbolts looks great at the moment, def picking up the trade!

What I am currently reading:

Uncanny X-Men/Legacy
    Avengers/New/Secret
    Deadpool
    Uncanny X-Force
    X-23
    Secret Warriors
    Nemesis
    Hack/Slash
    Velocity

and the HC Hellspawn, by BMB, Steve Niles and art by Ashley Wood.

It was particularly hard for me because I'd read the entire series over the course of a couple of days
    That might be the difference. I read everything as it was released but had a 6 month break before I read the last tpb. I will try again.

Quote Originally Posted by piratescratch
    what's everybody's favourite ongoing title at the moment?

There's not a lot I'm buying at the moment:
    Uncanny X-Men
    X-Men Legacy
    New Mutants
    X-Factor
    Runaways
    Buffy Season 8
    Fables

I look forward to the Fables books the most (as I read all these in the trades).

Poor runaways, cancelled with no explanation other than 'On hiatus due to re-tooling'

Thanks Joe Q
    With the movie beginning production, hopefully Marvel pulls 'em back.
    On that, WOW marvel studios is gonna have a hard time explaining who Molly Hayes is lol

Paulbot, what're your thoughts about Buffy Season 8? The 'super' powers?
    My gf reads it, and I flick through the occasional issue, but found the characters not really relfecting who they really are.

Like Willow swearing, things like that. Now a lot of people say the show obivously had parametres in place, so now being in a comic they can, well I strongly disagree, as those 'parametres' are what I believe truly defined the characters.

I didn't know Runaways was cancelled, I only ordered the latest digest last night.

Buffy the comic doesn't compare that well with Buffy the TV series. There's only two more books of this "season" so I want to see how it ends up, and then re-read it all. As I read when the Trades come out I've not got to see the "super" powers be explored yet.

Yeah, so dissapointing, but no one knows why

Sales on it were always huge, and a very large fan base, I guess thats why the movie was green lit.

So sorry, I shouldve checked what you were up to in Season 8 before talking about it.

Ill just say this, it really gets good after #32