Thread: (OCT-2013) Animated Era Comic - Reviews and Favourites

Default (OCT-2013) Animated Era Comic - Reviews and Favourites

Again, there weren't too many comics produced for this Era.
    IDW produced 6 issues, with one issue being exclusive to the Jetfire/Jetstorm 2-pack (and later included in the TPB of the mini-series). These issues were intended to fit into the cartoon story universe.

Meanwhile in Japan, they had a Manga publication called "The Cool" that mostly retold episodes of the cartoon, as well as a few original stories... so it probably fits in the cartoon universe.
    The first 10 chapters were reprinted as a complete book, with an exclusive translucent Activators Optimus.

But leave it to the UK to create some unique comic material, a tradition since Generation 1. Unfortunately, it was a very short-lived comic, but it did introduce some original characters... that most fans have never heard of.

Details of the Animated era can be read about here.

If you have any of these comics, have a refresher read and tell us a bit about them.

Are they worth buying after all this time (do you recommend them), and what do you think is good or bad about them.

How do they compare to the current era of Transformers comics?

There is an Animated IDW TPB!!!!

Must own it!
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

If you have any of these comics, have a refresher read and tell us a bit about them.
    - While the 'little kiddie' aspect of the cartoons could be overlooked, it really is hard to get past in the comics. I've got all the IDW ones but I've never felt the urge to pick them up a second time. Also there was a lot of human focus in them
    -The only stories I really enjoyed were Swindle selling weapons to both Blitzwing & Lugnut to fight each other (ala Daffy playing Foghorn Leghorn and the Dog against each other - gotta love classic WB cartoons! ) and I didn't mind the Safeguard comic you got free with the toy.

Are they worth buying after all this time (do you recommend them), and what do you think is good or bad about them.
    - I would reccomend grabbing them if you want something to ease a young child into the world of TF comics. Personally (besides the Orion Pax Spotlight) I will be using them for when my son gets old enough to read. Don't start them out on Dark Cybertron

- Well they are only about 5 or 6 years old, so its more a matter of comparing them to say RID and MTMTE, and that is no comparison at all

I can't believe IDW published TFA comics! I bought all of them.
    They're like extra stories to build the Animated world, nothing exceptional though.

I like the Rise of Safeguard issue, because we get to see more of the Jet twins and their backstory. Also, poor Jazz gets a little overwhelmed while training them.

The Botcon 2011 Comic (and the Almanacs!) are mandatory reading for any Animated fan.
    The regular comics don't have much to them really. Storywise, that is. The art is good and the covers are just lovely. I really like Boo's take on the TFA style.

Are you reading More than Meets the Eye? They can't.
    "The Decepticons keep bad company - each other!" - Jazz, G2

Quote Originally Posted by tinyJazz View Post
    The Botcon 2011 Comic (and the Almanacs!) are mandatory reading for any Animated fan.
    tinyJazz knows the score right enough! Forgot these - Fricken LOVE the Almanacs and the StuntiCon Job comic!!!

IMO they were okay, but nothing terribly special. I quite like the issue where Oilslick double-crosses Ratchet. The Cool was interesting from a manga art POV in that it was full colour -- I cannot think of any other Transformers manga series that's in full colour. Although I personally find that Tsushima Naoto's artwork doesn't quite suit the Animated designs; he's far better off drawing more traditional mecha designs for Transformers as he did with the Henkei! Henkei! manga, G1 Stargate Battles, Mission GT-R etc.

Not sure if the Almanacs count as comics, but they are certainly worth reading.

Bots of Science is probably the only "must read" comic, however "everything must go" is a funny little story with no impact on the larger universe.

Otherwise the comics are mostly okay, but nowhere near essential reading.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)