Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Live action Space Battleship Yamato on SBS tonight

Default Live action Space Battleship Yamato on SBS tonight

For the fans of the cartoon series Star Blazers that screened here in the 80s, the Japanese 2010 live action movie of Space Battleship Yamato is on tonight, on channel 32 (SBS 2)... from 9.25pm, but check your guide to see if it is on in your location.

It looks to have rated fairly well, and the trailer looks okay... so I'm looking forward to seeing how it translated to live action. (and I thought others here who also watched the cartoon series, might want to see it on free-to-air as well)

I think it's a great movie. Australian audiences will recognise the actor for Tokugawa Hikozaemon (the ship's chief engineer, known as 'Orion' in Star Blazers) as Nishida Toshiyuki, who played "Pigsy" (Cho Hakkai) in Monkey (Journey to the West).

I liked it. A bit rushed, but good.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

damn. Ill still be at work, grrr, Im gonna miss most of the movie. sigh....
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

I'll be watching it.

Hope I can remember to watch it. I have a terrible memory at the moment
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

It's not a bad movie. Was worth watching.

I'll be curious to watch this, not sure if I'll get home in time, might have to try that sbs on demand.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Oh my freakin' god... I've watched this movie several times (I got it on DVD a few years ago), and for the past year I've been teaching Departures, the new prescribed film text for HSC Japanese Extension, so I've had to watch that film several times, analysing it with a fine toothed comb... and only watching the film now on SBS 2 do I finally realise that Captain Okita is played by Yamazaki Tsutomu, who also played Sasaki in Departures! Man I feel slow(er than usual)!

And yes, I know that Kodai Mamoru is played by Kimura Takuya from SMAP, I'm not that slow. I'm also totally loving the anime-accurate score. 2 weeks ago, my daughter's Japanese school had their sports carnival, and one of the songs that they played was the original theme song for Space Battleship Yamato (instrumental version). I started singing along with it, garnering a few looks from some of the other parents.