Thread: The Year of the Yin Metal Rabbit

Lightbulb The Year of the Yin Metal Rabbit

With the end of the Chinese Year of the Yang Metal Tiger rapidly approaching (on the 2nd of February), it is time to start thinking about taking down your display of Tiger Transformers Rampage, Trizer, Catilla (Smilodont/Sabretoothed Tiger), Tigatron, Bantor (Tiger/Baboon Fuzor), Tigerhawk (Tiger/Hawk Fuzor), Snarl, Snow Cat, Apexus figures and replacing it, on the 3rd of February, with a display of Rabbit Transformers Moon & Stampy figures celebrating the Year of the Yin Metal Rabbit.

Read the rest here...

not the best designed site but the eBay links aren't bad, it's still under construction.
    'The Spark's Willing, but the Metal's Fatigued'
    Ghost of Starscream

Not to mar the festivities, a Metal Rabbit sounds freakin' Brutal to me! , but isn't Stampy technically a Snow Hare?

I'm quite sure that the Beast Wars Neo Encyclopaedia just says "rabbit". The box also says "Transforms from rabbit to warrior robot!!"

The sculpting probably does more closely resemble a hare, but the text says it's a rabbit. It looks a helluva lot more like a rabbit than Beast Wars Snarl looks like a Tasmanian Devil!! (i.e. BW Snarl does _not_ like a Tasmanian Devil )

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I'm quite sure that the Beast Wars Neo Encyclopaedia just says "rabbit". The box also says "Transforms from rabbit to warrior robot!!"

The sculpting probably does more closely resemble a hare, but the text says it's a rabbit. It looks a helluva lot more like a rabbit than Beast Wars Snarl looks like a Tasmanian Devil!! (i.e. BW Snarl does _not_ like a Tasmanian Devil )
    Well, that's good enough convincing for me.
    Indeed, the figure's proportions do look more like a Hare but if he was intended to be a Rabbit, has Rabbit written in an encyclopaedia and had it written on his box - Then he must be a Rabbit.

I've always thought Snarl was a Tasmanian Devil, sure the colours are way off and the tail resembles that of a Poodle - But the sculpt is pretty close IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    Well, that's good enough convincing for me.
    Indeed, the figure's proportions do look more like a Hare but if he was intended to be a Rabbit, has Rabbit written in an encyclopaedia and had it written on his box - Then he must be a Rabbit.
    Well the Japanese word for rabbit is "usagi" (兎) whereas the word for hare is "nousagi"(野兎) which just means wild or feral rabbit. What we call the Year of the Pig is technically the Year of the Boar, or "Inoshishidoshi" (猪年) - because if you want to say "Year of the Pig" then it'd be "Butadoshi" (豚年), but no-one ever calls it that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    I've always thought Snarl was a Tasmanian Devil, sure the colours are way off and the tail resembles that of a Poodle - But the sculpt is pretty close IMO.
    The sculpt is grossly inaccurate. The proportions are incorrect, the body is too short, he's crouching when he shouldn't be, has bat-like ears, the face is more doglike with a big black nose and also has a doglike open lower jaw. Snarl has a closer resemblance to a dunnart or spotted quoll rather than a real Tasmanian Devil. One possibility is that the toy is based on the cartoon character "Taz" rather than an actual Tassie Devil (the colours are more like Taz).

Anyway, I got one of those kikki.K calendars where you're meant to draw a picture each month yourself - and here's my drawing for February:

Also, I've been talking about the Year of the Rabbit with some of my students this week, and during a Year 12 class, with 2 minutes left of the lesson to go, I showed them a YouTube clip of the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog. Most of the kids in the class had never seen it and were rofl'd heaps.

"He's got huge sharp.....He can leap about.....LOOK AT THE BONES!!!" - Tim the Enchanter

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Well the Japanese word for rabbit is "usagi" (兎) whereas the word for hare is "nousagi"(野兎) which just means wild or feral rabbit. What we call the Year of the Pig is technically the Year of the Boar, or "Inoshishidoshi" (猪年) - because if you want to say "Year of the Pig" then it'd be "Butadoshi" (豚年), but no-one ever calls it that.
    Wow, essentially both words pertain to the same creature - Wild and Feral have a cooler ring to it though.
    Year of the Boar sounds immensely better to me , I'm guessing the English translators are responsible for that one.

The sculpt is grossly inaccurate. The proportions are incorrect, the body is too short, he's crouching when he shouldn't be, has bat-like ears, the face is more doglike with a big black nose and also has a doglike open lower jaw. Snarl has a closer resemblance to a dunnart or spotted quoll rather than a real Tasmanian Devil. One possibility is that the toy is based on the cartoon character "Taz" rather than an actual Tassie Devil (the colours are more like Taz).
    That's a fair point actually as he very well could be a homage to Taz rather than an actual Tasmanian Devil, Hmm...

Anyway, I got one of those kikki.K calendars where you're meant to draw a picture each month yourself - and here's my drawing for February:

*snip*

Also, I've been talking about the Year of the Rabbit with some of my students this week, and during a Year 12 class, with 2 minutes left of the lesson to go, I showed them a YouTube clip of the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog. Most of the kids in the class had never seen it and were rofl'd heaps.

"He's got huge sharp.....He can leap about.....LOOK AT THE BONES!!!" - Tim the Enchanter
    That's some fine art there Goki, a very nice effort indeed - Especially on Moon.
    Really? They hadn't seen that or the rest of the movie for that matter? - Sad but you've done a good thing by showing them Goki.