Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Questions by newbies, and not-so-newbies

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why is it that Evil-lyn's figure (Original/Classics?) has her skin in that 'Simpsons' yellow as opposed to how she appears on screen?
    Like the early years of Transformers, the toys came before the cartoon and Evil-Lyn was created to diversify the villains a bit by adding a female which would serve as a counterpoint to Teela ('Warrior Goddess' as she was known). So in order to differentiate Evil-Lyn from Teela as her figure was just a repaint with a new head, they decided to make her yellow skined which was probably also done with the intention of making her seem 'unnatural' since she is an evil sorceress.

Naturally the 80s Filmation cartoon decided to make her skin color pale as creative license allowed them to make her character model considerably different from Teela so different skin colors were not necessary or they decided that yellow would not look too good with the animation style they were going with.

Since most character models for Evil-Lyn and the 200x toys have featured her with her pale white skin, that's how most fans know/remember the character. However, the MOTU Classics line often endeavours to be as vintage toy accurate as possible so the yellow skin was chosen for the classics figure which divided the fandom a bit since many would have preferred Fimation/200x skin tones but she turned out to be a pretty awesome figure regardless.
    Last edited by kup; 22nd January 2011 at 11:20 PM.

Ah, I see.
    It just struck me as really odd because I've seen a pic, courtesy of Robzy's collection, of the 200x figure and it looks like she was literally ripped out of the screen, but then seeing pics of the Evil-lyn you yourself had for sale I was sort of confused.

So MOTU shares more similarities with Transformers than what I thought, except Mattel seems to treat it's fans with more contempt judging by the horrible stories coming out of that last sale , but it is interesting to learn that the Classics figures are going for a more Toy focused armage as I've got to admit, they're terribly tempting.

Oh yeah, I finished up the 200x series and I've got to say I was really quite sad when the credits started to roll because the show was ended WAY too early IMO, as I'm sure many feel the same way, which is probably exactly how the Voice Cast must of felt too because I know alot of them had worked on Beast Wars and I'm sure Gary Chalk and Scott Mcneil at least must feel cursed or something.

What price do MOTU mini-comics go for in general?
    I just got back from the local markets and a stall had about 10 of them, but they lady running the store wasn't gonna be back for 30 mins to tell me the price.

On Ebay they seem to go for $4-$5ea, shipping not included.

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    What price do MOTU mini-comics go for in general?
    I just got back from the local markets and a stall had about 10 of them, but they lady running the store wasn't gonna be back for 30 mins to tell me the price.
    There's no easy answer for that. You should be able to pick up most of them for $3-5, but some of them go for around $100... and everything inbetween! There's about 5 that I don't have in my collection, but fortunately they're not the ultra rare ones (well, one is!) but I never paid big, big money for them. Markets/toy fairs are great - people don't always know which ones are rare and have value. But good luck with evil bay - people charge top $ for the common ones!

Wow! This is something.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/She-ra-Prince...#ht_3830wt_889

It's kind of freaky how a girl's toy line is now mostly followed by guys and most likely it was a guy who won that figure

I have read a few stories about how the original She-Ra cartoon became so popular with boys that some actually asked their parents to get toys of the characters and since they were so girlie (girl toy line), opening Christmas presents became very awkward in front of the family .

Although I really liked the She-Ra cartoon when I was a kid, I thankfully never asked for toys

Anyway, hopefully we will get more less awkward releases of the Princess of Power characters in MOTU classics although most of the POP characters do happen to be women

Can you imagine this in the 200X MOTU?

Does anyone know what the story is with Teela in Goddess (Cobra outfit) mode and Teela literally being a snake lady in the 200x version.... the series finisehed before that story can be fleshed out... or was there an episode explaining it that never got aired? Cheers...
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    Does anyone know what the story is with Teela in Goddess (Cobra outfit) mode and Teela literally being a snake lady in the 200x version.... the series finisehed before that story can be fleshed out... or was there an episode explaining it that never got aired? Cheers...
    The Goddess is basically a pre-filmation Sorceress. So basically the Teela toy was originally intended to fill the role of the Sorceress that you see in later incarnations. Early Teela was actually that bikini armor clad chick you see in the toy fair pics.

After the Filmation cartoon, The Goddess disappeared from the fiction until she was 'revisited' in MOTUC. Bikini Teela was turned into the Teela we know today by using the character model (and toy) of the Goddess.

There is an episode in 200X in which King Hiss briefly turns most of the Masters into Snake Men, among them Teela. There is really nothing special about that only that 'Snake Woman' Teela was made into a pretty cool figure. That episode ends pretty conclusively as far as the series is concerned but apparently they were going to expand on that if they had been allowed a 3rd season.

Is this Bow art official?

If so, does anyone know where he is from?

He looks like a more MOTU Bow than POP. He also seems to be wearing Randor's armor.

He also meets Mattel's safety standards because he doesn't have a bow string