Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8182324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Maz's Articles & Reviews

Maz is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Default Selling toys is hard

Masterpiece Transformers, Diaclone V2, 3rd Party Masterpiece-style figures, 3rd Party IDW-style figures, Generations figures, Titans Return, Robots In Disguise, Transformers Adventure. There is no shortage of Transformers-related toys coming out right now, and that’s just the brand new shiny, nevermind older figures that one may wish to seek out and add. Very few have the budget to manage all of their collection needs and wants in the face of such a product onslaught as official and unofficial sources vie for our attention. Inevitably, collectors are forced to sell toys in order to fund newer purchases. This week we asked our contributors to look at why it can be so difficult to sell our Transformers.

Selling Toys Is Hard | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Default Half Term Report

Halfway through 2016 and it’s looking like that old chestnut ”best year for Transformers and 3rd Party toys” is once again being bandied about. Rightfully so, I can’t quite believe the quality of product we have enjoyed thus far, and that’s just up to June with Titans Return about to hit worldwide. I have had more difficulty maintaining a provisional top 5 purchases list for the year than ever before. So much so that I may go for an end of year top 10 purchases instead, or a separate list for official and unofficial figures. Do keep in mind that my end of year lists are only ever made up of figures I have been fortunate enough to receive samples of or purchase myself. If I don’t collect a particular line, then don’t expect to see it appear on my list(s) as I’ve not had the opportunity to give it a fair whack. Combiner Wars, Generations, the many 3rd party Constructicons – all fall under that category unfortunately. So, if you can suspend your outrage that this article will focus purely on my own purchases (and therefore preferences), here’s what I think has shone the brightest so far in 2016.

Half Term Report | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Default Titans Return

The Titans have indeed returned. And by that I mean Headmasters, generally. Hasbro and TakaraTomy have moved from battling 3rd parties on the combiners front to challenging them on the 1987/88 Headmasters front, with even traditionally non-HM characters getting the ”Titan Master” treatment. Wave 1 consists of deluxe class Hardhead, Blurr, Scourge and Skullsmasher (Skullcruncher), leader class Blaster and Powermaster Optimus Prime, voyager class Galvatron and Sentinel Prime, titan class Fortress Maximus, legends class Rewind, Stripes and Wheelie as well as Titan Masters Crashbash (Squeezeplay head), Terri-Bull (Horri-Bull head), Loudmouth (Siren head) and Nightbeat’s head. I’ll be focusing on my purchases from wave 1, how my initial excitement turned to disappointment and instant sales, which then became seller’s remorse and a change of heart.

Change Of Heart (Titans Return) | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Flying under the radar as if on a special ops mission, Jason "Logik" L's incredible vintage Transformers collection mimicks the function of his beloved Autobot Agent Jazz. Having spent a great deal of his youth working hard to create the veritable museum that he now curates, Jason has employed a large amount of focus to achieve his dream collection. Jason has also applied his specific display and collecting philosophy to the Japanese G1 era as well as G2 and European G1. A very well-liked and positive member of the Transformers online community, it's my pleasure to present Jason L as our fiftieth featured collector!

Collector Interview 50 – Jason “Logik” L | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

That collection - just WOW!

Thanks for that Maz.

The amount of effort that must've went into that collection... (not to mention his car ) I could plonk a chair down in front of those cabinets and just sit contently for hours

Default MP-25L Masterpiece Loudpedal

Once upon a time there was a Diaclone, not just exclusive in colour and country, but also retailer. Its existence was questioned by all and sundry until proven beyond a reasonable doubt. A legendary Japanese collector teased enthusiasts across many lands with wordless images and scattered hints. The truth did surface, the world did learn, but a mere four specimens have ever been found boxed. Few they may be, but fully documented they have been. The 1984 Takara Diaclone Corvette Stingray was released in black and grey colours only in Finland as an R-Kioski retailer exclusive for a short time. While the 2002 Takara reissue lucky draw Black Tracks loosely referenced that Diaclone, it wasn’t until 2016 and the Tokyo Toy Show exclusive Masterpiece MP-25L Destron Sonic Sapper Loudpedal that Finland’s legendary gem was paid proper official tribute. This could be the best Masterpiece toy homage we’ve ever had.

MP-25L Loudpedal – Best Toy Homage | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Default Multiples

What could be better than owning a wonderful Transformers toy? That’s right, multiples of that toy! Of course not everybody subscribes to that philosophy, in fact a majority are probably happy to own one version of each toy. A great deal of collectors won’t even bother with variants of a mould, let alone precise duplicates. There are even those who will not touch repaints/retools of a mould, one specimen satisfying their desire to experience a given toy sculpt. But what of those who do find pleasure in buying multiples of the same figure, when the reason is not a particular variation in moulding, appearance, packaging or accessories?

Multiples | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Must collect variants and duplicates of everything, in case of emergency throw decoys

Default 1988 Autobot Powermasters

Transformers from Cybertron, binary bonded to Nebulans of Nebulos! In 1988 the ‘Masters continued to come thick and fast with smaller Headmasters, smaller Targetmasters and the introduction of the Powermasters. Hasbro decided to integrate the ‘Masters gimmick even further into the Transformers concept by making the Nebulan activate the transformation of the bigger figure via the Powermaster ‘engine’. In addition to Hasbro’s 3 Powermaster cars and the return of Optimus Prime as a Powermaster, the Decepticons got 2 jets that combined (Darkwing and Dreadwind), as well as a double Powermaster in Doubledealer. This week we take a look at Powermaster Optimus Prime, Slapdash, Joyride and Getaway, the 1988 Autobot Powermasters.

1988 Autobot Powermasters | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz