Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8182324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: model building

Thanks

amazing stuff!

Cheers

For those interested the next Sydney Greater West Scale Model Expo is going to be held on 11/12th March 2017 at Lily's Function Centre, Seven Hills. I will be there on the Sunday and bringing some of my builds along.

More details on their facebook page.

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    For those interested the next Sydney Greater West Scale Model Expo is going to be held on 11/12th March 2017 at Lily's Function Centre, Seven Hills. I will be there on the Sunday and bringing some of my builds along.

More details on their facebook page.
    I'll try to get there Sunday and have a look around, problem with getting there is I'm basically pretty lazy.
    Which brings us to where we are today...

After a break of some 20 years I decided to try my hand again at some model building and painting.

A very small Star Destroyer kit from Bandai - sits on top of my work monitor. Used a bit of black panel wash to bring out the detail

My first attempt at gunpla. 1/144 GX-9901-DX Gundam Double X. I don't even know the show, I just bought the kit when I was in Hong Kong just because it was the thing to do Spray painted white with panel detail, all other colours I just put a bit of flat coat on. Sadly one wing panel is broken as the hinge was too big and ended up snapping when I tried to open the panel

My next project is a 1/350 scale IJN Battleship Yamato. Given the size of the piece I'm looking at having a go at airbrushing. I got an airbrush but haven't committed on a compressor yet. Any tips? I did find this one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-6HP-Min...Sz3uNOCBB0dSBQ
    Last edited by Ralph Wiggum; 19th March 2017 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    My next project is a 1/350 scale IJN Battleship Yamato. Given the size of the piece I'm looking at having a go at airbrushing. I got an airbrush but haven't committed on a compressor yet. Any tips? I did find this one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-6HP-Min...Sz3uNOCBB0dSBQ
    Tricky, as you tend to get what you pay for. And that is an inexpensive compressor...

I would however recommend getting a compressor with an air tank, as that helps keep the airflow constant.
    Which brings us to where we are today...

Nice work Ralph. Can't go wrong with Bandai kits.

Bought a cheap model kit to test out a painting technique I read about online to achieve a real life car paint effect. Turned out pretty well in the end, although I learned some other valuable lessons along the way with building this kit, including:
    - solvent glues should not be used on all parts, especially clear plastic
    - don't use painters tape, especially over decals.
    - don't rush stages, ensure that the glue is completely dry before moving onto the next stage involving those pieces.

Anyway, I was pretty happy with the way the paintwork on the body turned out. The intention is to use the technique on the Optimus Prime voice-changer helmet. Also looking at making light-up eyes. Haven't commenced yet but have bought the parts. Once it's complete I will post progress pics.

In the meantime, here is my model building effort - nowhere near as good as others on here, but hopefully fun to look at regardless...

Last edited by AJ_Prime; 22nd July 2017 at 05:08 PM.

Nice work. The blue finish looks smooth and shiny.