View Poll Results: Generations Powerdive - Worth Buying?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 33.33%
  • Only if cheap

3 33.33%
  • Only if (something else)

1 11.11%
  • No

1 11.11%
  • Uninterested

1 11.11%

Thread: Toy Review: Generations Powerdive

Default Toy Review: Generations Powerdive

Series - Transformers
    Sub-line - Generations
    Size/class - Voyager
    New/remould/redeco - Redeco of Autobot Alliance Highbrow
    Wave - ?
    Released here - N/A (Sinophone market exclusive)
    Approximate Retail Price - $45-50?
    Approximate Size - 20cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Modified P-38 Lightning WWII fighter plane
    Main Features/Gimmicks - spinning rotors
    Main Colours - Dark green, grey, purple, gold
    Main Accessories - 2 gatling guns

Stock image

As a redeco of Highbrow, I won't go into details of the mould/design but rather focus on changes/differences in this version. See the Highbrow review thread (hyperlinked above) for more comments about the original mould itself.

This toy is an absolutely beautiful repaint of Highbrow. The rotors are a maroon/burgundy red which homages the bright red rotors of G2 Powerdive but in a far more muted way (which was never really good at; ah, the early 90s ). It does have purple with the missiles, landing gear wheels and gatling guns, but they're sparse enough that it works with the colours of the toy and doesn't look too silly. The twin boom mounted engines and nosecone are silver, as are Decepticon logos on the top of the nacelle and aft stablisers. The cockpit canopy is painted grey and blue resembling the face of a snarling shark, and the cockpit window itself is transparent red, showing off the internal scultping details of the cockpit itself. It also has "<DC" tampographed on the front as a further homage to G2 Powerdive; although the alt mode choice is more of a homage to G2 Ransack; so in this way Generations Powerdive serves as a 'dual homage' to both G2 Rotor Force Decepticons.

The robot mode reveals more grey and gold colours. It has a new head with a dark green helmet, silver face and transparent light piping eyes. It also has a flip down visor, and the eyes continue to light pipe through the visor quite beautifully.

My gripes about this toy; as with Highbrow, the arms are stumpy and somewhat cumbersome. But the rest of the robot mode is quite good. As with Highbrow, the primary charm of this toy is the alt mode as a WWII era fighter plane which is a rarity among Transformers which is chock full of modern supersonic jets. The nacelle does sit in a 'backward' position compared to an actual P-38 Lightning, and there's an additional turbine on the front of the nose; I suspect this was done as a further homage to G2 Ransack's Chance Vought F4U Corsair mode. My other gripe is the toy being marketed as Generations but using what to me looks and feels like a movieverse mould. This toy is gonna be slotted into the movieverse in my personal collection, as this mould feels too movie-esque to belong to Classicsverse to me.

Overall, this is a great redeco of a nice toy. I would actually say that this toy is worth importing if you can get it at a good price.

This guy is great - love the vehicle mode! I was a little put off by the purple guns/missiles and the blue on the cockpit but the rest of his colour scheme is awesome and a great headsculpt in robot mode. Right now he is on a shelf in my study menacing a bunch of tiny autobot targetmasters

Recently got this guy under the Toyworld offer ($19.95) and his alt. mode is definitely his best which is a rarity among Transformers toys and the only other examples that come to mind are Divebomb (ROTF) and Hubcap (HFTD) which also have retro/vintage alt. modes (1950's or earlier).
    Which reminds me.........it would be awesome if Stephen King's Christine Plymouth was made into a transforming toy that becomes a fembot with horns and a pointy tail.

I also got a $19.95 special. Alt mode great, robot mode pretty nice, except for the arms, which are overly complicated and don't sit straight like normal arms do. Colour scheme is not as good as the original version of the mould (Highbrow).

A reasonable buy if you can get it for a lazy $20, but I don't know it's worth hunting for.

Mine had a brittle hip joint that broke (almost crumbled) on the first transformation - took it back for an exchange and the new one is fine.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Wait where are people still getting these? I love this mold
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    Wait where are people still getting these? I love this mold
    Been sighted recently on clearance at Toyworld and Toy Kingdom stores.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!