Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laptops

Default Laptops

I'm in the market for a new laptop as the 'mainboard' in my old one has died and would cost $500-600 to replace.

I know nothing about computers really. I just need one that works and hopefully won't break.

I'm looking to spend a maximum of about $900 () so was wondering what people would suggest.

It'll be used for internet access, some word processing and the like, but not gaming.

And no, I don't want an iPad.

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...
    TRANSFORMERS: UNITY -- the BotCon 2016 Comic Book that should have been...

Acer, HP and Samsung Laptops are great. Toshiba is known for breaking down once and a while. Dell laptops are ok as well. Though I dont know what is in your market so I cant really give you specific models. And thank you another person who DOESNT like or have a need for the ipad! :P

Maybe something like this? You'd then have enough money to buy MS Office 2010 Pro for sub $150 off eBay and have a cool $250 as spare change.

Cheers VGM, Acer you say.

Any chance of anyone having a look over This Acer Puppy and give me their thoughts?

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...
    TRANSFORMERS: UNITY -- the BotCon 2016 Comic Book that should have been...

If you're not using it for gaming/3D apps, I don't really see the point in getting one with a dedicated graphics card (it will only drain the battery faster and make the machine run hotter). The new Intel Sandy Bridge processors have more than adequate graphics processing power for your needs. Just my 2c

Quote Originally Posted by VGMStudios View Post
    Toshiba is known for breaking down once and a while.
    I've owned my Toshiba Satellite M100 laptop for 6 years now and it has not had one single problem. This thing never gets switched off and is on 24/7 downloading music, games, and movies. I highly recommend them and i'll be buying another Toshiba once this one becomes unusable, which may not be for a while.

These days you can buy a decent laptop for under $600 with enough memory, hard drive space, graphic and processing power to cover all your needs. You only need to spend more than that if you will be using your laptop for movie editing or hardcore gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    If you're not using it for gaming/3D apps, I don't really see the point in getting one with a dedicated graphics card (it will only drain the battery faster and make the machine run hotter). The new Intel Sandy Bridge processors have more than adequate graphics processing power for your needs. Just my 2c
    I second this greatly; Verno dude, avoid anything that appears to be focussed at gaming as that's obviously not what you're wanting as you've stated.
    I don't know if you got one locally, maybe try their online service, but have a geez at these 3 units from JB Hi-fi.

All's else I can recommend is an Anti-virus/malware Package (A must!) and MS-Office, as DD points out you can get some good deals on that from eBay.

I recommend Trend-Micro's Titanium Internet Security 2012 or Titanium Smart Surfing for PCs 2012 as I've found TM to be very efficient, updated very regularly (Nigh Everyday) and is extremely un-resource hungry (Doesn't slow down your computer badly and doesn't eat up all your memory).

I hope that is of some help to you dude; like yourself, VGM and DD - I'm not one for fruit much either when buying electronics (Each to their own though ) and I think what the guys have passed on in this thread should aid you greatly.

Excellent advice and recommendations Hursti.

If you would like a free alternative to the anti-virus applications Hursti listed, I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials. Once again, it's very light on the CPU and I find it does a good job of protecting your system. I've been running it for years now and have never had a single virus!

There's no need to purchase antivirus software. I have not paid for one single software package, anitivirus or other. There's plenty of free applications available, and they're just as good or better than the commercial packages.

Check out this website for a huge list of free software (known as freeware). It details each program and lists its pro's and con's.
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/

And here's the link to their security section, containing antivirus, malware and firewall programs:
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/pc/security-tools.html

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    Excellent advice and recommendations Hursti.

If you would like a free alternative to the anti-virus applications Hursti listed, I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials. Once again, it's very light on the CPU and I find it does a good job of protecting your system. I've been running it for years now and have never had a single virus!
    Cheers dude, I hope it's of help to Verno anyway.

That Microsoft one you mention I actually have put to use on my DOS/WIN Gaming rig, had never used/heard of it until doing the regular update routine and figured I'd give it a go; it's not all too bad really, has all the basic functions you'd expect in an Antivirus/malware program and as it's MS and free I trust it a little more than other free packages.

I'd of whacked Trend Micro on but I've used all 3 slots it makes available for other PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by shokwave2 View Post
    There's no need to purchase antivirus software. I have not paid for one single software package, anitivirus or other. There's plenty of free applications available, and they're just as good or better than the commercial packages.

Check out this website for a huge list of free software (known as freeware). It details each program and lists its pro's and con's.
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/

And here's the link to their security section, containing antivirus, malware and firewall programs:
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/pc/security-tools.html
    I'd recommend a purchased package over a free one any day of the week, but I will agree with you man so far as to say that; something is most certainly better than nothing.