Page 6 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111626 ... LastLast

Thread: The Football (all sorts) Thread

Actually Folau is only returning to Brisbane because he is homesick and not because they are offering him the bank. I read reports that he was trying to get his family to join him in Melbourne but apparently they wanted to remain in Brisbane, hence his desire to return home. He will be our biggest loss - there were times in the game last night where I felt he was going to break through and score the Storm's first try but he had no backup players to offload to. The Storm played an absolute shocker last night - Cam Smith or no Cam Smith, there were no excuses for that performance.
    If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you

My sales thread: Linky

ahh true i forgot about his family, i remember now that was the reason.. although i wouldn't be surprised if brisbane offered him more money as well to make it a certainty.. either way, we're losing him so it sucks haha

Geyer should have worn the #6 in the final, Inglis is a centre, not a half/five-eighth. Folau was easily the Storms best, not that it was difficult, he will be a great addition to the Brisvegas side, and hopefully his maturity at such a young age can rub off on the idiots up there.

Manly deserved to win, they were outstanding, but I don't think they actually beat Melbourne. That was not Melbourne who turned up on Grand Final night, that was a group of look-a-like impostors. Cam Smith would not have made the difference, nor would have Hoffman. I think it's about time Manly had a decent amount of rep players in both Origin and National duty, Watmough, Kite, both Stewarts and even Perry should be given a spot in the 30 man squad.

Makes me wonder how much Cronulla would have lost by if they had have beaten Melbourne last week... 86-0? 90-0?

I think that is it for Melbourne, they'll remain a strong side, and top 4 contenders, but I cannot see them remaining the force that they were, they will drop back into the lead pack. Manly have another 2 seasons or so of top quality (as long as they remain injury free), Cronulla will also be finalists again next season (but stand no chance of winning the comp), Penrith, the Dogs and the Cowboys should be the big improvers, Canberra and New Zealand will be top 8 again.
    I'm very interested to see how Brisbane and St George go with their new coaches, how Parramatta, Tigers and Easts fare since all 3 were massive disappointments this season, and what excuses Souths come up with for the 2009 season.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

you're right, geyer and inglis should've been switched, i don't know why they persist with inglis at five-eigth, i'd much rather have him in the centres.. then towards the end of the match bellamy had him at fullback?? strange, but what's done is done now so no use looking back...

storm will continue to be strong, but i agree, pushing for another premiership will be tough, manly will definitely be in the box seat..

kite, both stewarts and watmough have been named in the sqaud, but to be honest i think watmough is a bit overrated, i dont get what the big deal about him is.. also david "wolfman" williams got picked which is great cause he's one of my favs, although he's a manly player haha... hunt was unlucky to miss out i think as the 2nd full-back with slater, i rate him higher than brett stewart, who while being a tremendous try scorer, i dont think is what the AUS squad needs, we have plenty of scoring ability in inglis, folau, slater and the like..

next season, if NZ get more consistency, they can easily push deep into september against like this year, they just have to start winning games away from home.. i dont think brisbane will be as strong, they're losing tunza, kemp, boyd, ennis, hannant and a few others, not to mention wayne bennet, their first season without him at the helm will be an interesting one...

Any objection to this being renamed the Football (of all sorts) thread?

Go for it Paulbot.

I see Brisbane falling a lot. Parramatta and Tigers again not living up to expectations, St George being a possible top 8 side (same as Newcastle and the Bulldogs). Cronulla is a side that will do well, but it all comes down to how the utilise Barrett, if the overpaid hack plays to suit the team, they will be a top 4 side. If the team is changed to suit his bad playing style, then Cronulla will be spoon contenders with the Tigers and Parra (and if Prince gets injured, the Titans). It's that Premiership curse, win the comp, 4 years later you win the spoon.

The Aussie team is a strong one, all the better for no O' Meley, no Mason, no Gasnier and would be better if Gallen was also overlooked, Laffranchi, Price and Civoniceva will do the job. Hopefully Inglis will be used as a centre, as Prince, Lockyer and Thurston more than cover the halves. My team would read:
    Slater, Folau, Inglis, Hodges, Monaghan, Lockyer, Prince, Kite, Smith, Fitzgibbon, Civoniceva, Price, Laffranchi, with Gidley, Perry, Watmough and Thurston on the Bench.

i'd love to know how Fitzgibbon gets selected for Australia & Nathan Hindmarsh, Luke O'Donnell, Chris Heighington cant get a run

same with Thurston he is nothing without Matt Bowen. Orford/Cronk/Kimmorley all had better seasons than him

the team will probably be

1-B.Stewart
    2-Slater
    3-Inglis
    4-Hodges
    5-Folau
    6-Lockyer
    7-Thurston
    8-Price
    9-Smith
    10-Civonaceva
    11-Gallen
    12-Laffranchi
    13-G.Stewart

14-Kite
    15-Crocker
    16-Perry
    17-Gidley

hopefully Steve Matai knocks Cam Smith's head off in the first match & Robbie Farah gets a run

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    The Aussie team is a strong one, all the better for no O' Meley, no Mason, no Gasnier and would be better if Gallen was also overlooked, Laffranchi, Price and Civoniceva will do the job
    mason is as useless as they come, just a big unit with a big mouth, and not much skill.. o' meley has gotten too big, he can't run anymore, a couple of years ago he could get some good runs going, but now with some added weight he can't move with much pace... gasnier is a good player, but if he didn't have the last name that he has, i dont think he would be rated as highly... even at their age, price and civoniceva are still the best probs available for AUS, which is a testament to their staying ability and skill..

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    i'd love to know how Fitzgibbon gets selected for Australia & Nathan Hindmarsh, Luke O'Donnell, Chris Heighington cant get a run

same with Thurston he is nothing without Matt Bowen. Orford/Cronk/Kimmorley all had better seasons than him
    agreed, i don't know how good fitzgibbon was a few years ago, but at the moment there are far better players than him... how come hindmarsh doesn't get any love anymore? he's only 29, played a dozen or so tests and origin matches, still in great form, but doesn't get a look in? granted parra struggled a lot this year, but he still gives everything week in week out like the workhorse that he is.. plus he's one of my favs so

i would love for cronk to get more AUS games or maybe even QLD, but while thurston is fit, i don't think you can pick against him.. he is like adam goodes in the AFL, when fully fit they can do some pretty amazing stuff..

my team would look like:
    1-Hunt
    2-Tate
    3-Inglis
    4-Hodges
    5-Folau
    6-Lockyer
    7-Thurston
    8-Price
    9-Smith
    10-Civonaceva
    11-Laffranchi
    12-Crocker
    13-G.Stewart

14-B.Stewart
    15-Slater
    16-Kite
    17-Hindmarsh

I agree with everyone here about Fitzgibbon. Yes he is a good player but one thing Australia aren't short on is backrowers.

Anyway IMO the likely side would read
    1. Slater
    2. Folau
    3. Tate
    4. Hodges
    5. Inglis
    6. Lockyer
    7. Thurston (although Price should be there)
    8. Price
    9. Smith
    10. Petro
    11. Gallen
    12. Crocker
    13. Fitzgibbon

14. Gidley
    15. Kite
    16. Laffranchi
    17. Either G. Stewart or Perry

Rampage, as much as I'd like to see Farah get a run I'm certain they would use Gidley if anything happened to Cam Smith.

Once again the Tigers get rorted for reps in Australia. Come on New Zealand, Ireland or any other country that has Tigers in it!!!
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

No love for the ever versatile Gidley Splatt?

I think Fitzgibbon gets picked because like Price he can be used as an 80 minute player, he had a decent season (played better when he lost the captaincy), and his sharp shooting with goal kicking is an added bonus if for some reason the normal kickers are off the field.
    Hindmarsh had another cracker season, but as great as he is in defence, his offence has been a little meh the last 2 seasons, his meters gained are low compared to other forwards, and his game reminds me most of Martin Lang in his Penrith years; predictable.

And Bartrim, how can the Tigers get Aussie reps from their side, when like Penrith and the Bunnies, most of their players are from the Pacific Islands and New Zealand???