Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 818232425262728293031323338 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitening yellowed toys with Hydrogen Peroxide

I did an aerialbot Slingshot nosecone and two of my three original Transformers toys - Fireflight and Blades - today and they came up great with no problems.

I was careful around the stickers but noticed when I was wiping the creme off the red came off the Autobot symbols on Fireflight's wings. These are the original stickers so it may well just have been age. I didn't notice any appreciable change to the other stickers (altho they are 20+ years old and a bit tatty to begin with).

Stickers are a funny thing. Best avoid getting any on them I'd say.

A thicker application worked better. No streaks on the blue parts at all. It is still a deeper blue when compared to a non yellowed part, but it looks much better than a greeney blue. I will put more on it next weekend to see if I can lighten it further.

The grey foot is getting lighter still, and is near bringing it back to it's original colour. Again, more coating next weekend.

The screw is still rusted, but it did remove some of the rusting.

But great news is the fact it is not destroying the plastic like H2O2 does. Hardest part will be trying to do it evenly when you have to do more than one coat. But the great thing is it takes a few hours, so you can wipe it off and check it every so often, and reapply the cream.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    But great news is the fact it is not destroying the plastic like H2O2 does. Hardest part will be trying to do it evenly when you have to do more than one coat. But the great thing is it takes a few hours, so you can wipe it off and check it every so often, and reapply the cream.
    Hey dude, just out of curiosity; Do you think that if you were to put the solution into a spray bottle that that would give you a more even coat than using a paint brush?

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    Hey dude, just out of curiosity; Do you think that if you were to put the solution into a spray bottle that that would give you a more even coat than using a paint brush?
    Possible. I can give that a shot next week. Just as long as I put a thick coat all over, doesn't have to be perfect, just as long as it all will be well covered.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    Possible. I can give that a shot next week. Just as long as I put a thick coat all over, doesn't have to be perfect, just as long as it all will be well covered.
    Yeah, I just thought that if you were able to spray it on, that it would give you a more even and consistent spread than having to try and do it with a paint brush - Fingers crossed for you anyway man.

what about mixing the cream with the bottled stuff to give a stronger solution thats what ive been thinking of doing

Good thought, but I think the liquid seems to have an adverse effect on the 87 Targetmasters, but the cream seems to work well. Maybe I could pick up a stronger cream, pretty sure I saw one that was stronger.

Here's a couple of my before and after shots, both featuring 1987 Transformers.

Doubledealer's lower missile half.

After

Weirdwolf

After

*does a crazy coles TV ad.. Ta da*

I forgot to add, that was using 12% Creme Peroxide *thumbs up*

That Weirdwolf looks fantastic!

Looks like we may have a proven solution for 1987 yellowed toys! To be sure, it would be good if we could do something like a Slugslinger who is very prone to yellowing and highly negative reacting when it comes to liquid H2O2.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Looks like we may have a proven solution for 1987 yellowed toys! To be sure, it would be good if we could do something like a Slugslinger who is very prone to yellowing and highly negative reacting when it comes to liquid H2O2.
    That's where the foot and blue parts I have been working on have come from.

The blue is somewhat darker than the normal blue, and the grey is still slightly yellowed. They need another treatment to see if I can get them closer to perfect. But so far so good. I haven't taken an shots of the next phase of treatment yet. I will be doing more this weekend.