Thread: BotCon 2014 Scorponok fix

Default BotCon 2014 Scorponok fix

How to fix Scorponok's shoulders.
    We were told at BotCon that Scoponok (and Cannonball) had some construction errors, with Scorponok being the easiest to fix. (Cannonball's thighs are swapped over, but require removal of pins to fix... but don't significantly impact on the toy to need it)

On the sides there is a purple part (it is orange on the original Energon toy on the right) that looks like a ladder under the armpit. As you can see on the Energon toy, the back part slopes up, while the BotCon one slopes downwards. The two parts on each side of the toy need to be swapped over to allow the shoulders to fold down a little further.

On the back of each part is two screws. Remove the four screws and the two purple parts come straight off.

Each purple part holds onto two hindges.

When swapped over, the back of each part slopes down towards the head. The "ladder" is almost halfway, but since it is a fraction of a millimeter off from center, it was too high up when it is upside-down on the wrong side. That fraction of distance might be almost negligible, but it gives a hinged joint a lot more room to swing down...

...giving the head more space on each side. (compare that to the comparisson photo above, which almost has the green shoulders touching the head)

Haven't attempted the Scorponok fix as yet. Probably never will. Such a ugly hideous robot mode.

It also affects the alt mode.... The legs/tracks are angled and fit into the space left by the slope. I thought something was off on mine, then the penny dropped once I made the change.

Thanks for the advice. Got mine today and had to fix him up. Unfortunately the way they screwed mine in, they had damaged the screw holes.

Same with mine... Think they were designed one way only and the factory forced them

Yep, mine also had two damaged screw holes... likely caused by forcing the parts to fit on the wrong sides.