View Poll Results: Encore Devastator - worth buying?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 43.33%
  • Only if....

10 33.33%
  • No

4 13.33%
  • Not interested in this.

3 10.00%
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Encore #20: Devastator Giftset

Default Encore #20: Devastator Giftset

Already all over HK (and SG). HK appears to be cheaper for this at HKD$740 per piece.

Full review here.

Summary:
    This is a good set to have if you don't already have the vintage G1 pieces. It's good value for money too. There are some QC issues, for overall not fatal to enjoyment of the set as a whole. My key issue is the plastic colouration which I still, after about an hour of fiddling with the pieces, don't think is the right shade of green and makes it look KO-ish. 6.5/10 for me - good value, but if affordable, get the vintage G1 piece.

I saw a review comparing both old and new together and the lighter green was the first thing i noticed too. Don't really like it but its better than nothing. Probably did it so you cant mix up a reissue and an original.

Nice review HD. Good to hear that Mixmaster does indeed have his head attached.

This is going to display nicely next to my reissue Predaking

Quote Originally Posted by sideswipes brother View Post
    Probably did it so you cant mix up a reissue and an original.
    That's exactly what they did.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Perhaps TakaraTOMY modified the shade of green on purpose to make the reissues distinct from the originals? (it certainly wouldn't be the first time it's happened) -- but it still looks like a fairly close green to me. It's not as if they've used a drastically different shade (like reissue Tackle who was changed from vermillion to orange) or worse still, entirely different colours (like reissue Sixwing - I know that canon justifies it with the whole Shattered Glass^Verserker thing, but the fact that they never even bothered reissuing Sixwing in anything like his regular colours frustrates me ).

For me, the reasons why I decided to get Encore Devastator even though I already have the original Constructicons are because:

1. I got my original Constructicons in 1985 and they're VERY worn out! I haven't been able to play with my Constructicons for years and years now cos I'm too scared to break them. Even just occasionally posing or transforming them puts strain on them... I already broke Devastator's waist once when removing Mixmaster (thankfully I found a new one soon after ) -- but yeah, for a long time my Constructicons have been little more than a display piece and I give myself a minor heart attack each time I handle them! :O The reissues will give me a minty new set that I can play with.

2. Remember how the S.T.A.R.S. bases came with an "Armoury" section? I used to keep a lot of little weapons in there... I've since lost my S.T.A.R.S. bases (I had two)... I suspect my parents might have chucked them out -- anyway, needless to say that I've also lost a lot of little weapons that were stored in there, including my individual Constructicon weapons. Getting the reissue weapons will definitely save me a lot of time rather than hunting down the originals -- possibly cheaper too.

3. I want to support TakaraTOMY and hopefully help convince them to do more 'new' reissues (and not more reissues of toys that have already been reissued ). Also I want to reward TakaraTOMY in putting their faith in collectors by reissuing such a heavily KOed toy (and will hopefully help convince them to reconsider reissuing other moulds that haven't been reissued but have been KOed) -- heh, this morning I was talking to some students about consumer sovereignty.

My Devastator's still in transit -- can't wait till it arrives! \(^O^)/

I would say that the color issue is more to do with a cheaper plastic. Takara-Tomy uses cheaper materials than Takara did in all their products. You can tell right away when you compare Encore reissues with their 'Book' reissue counterparts.

I wouldn't expect the reissues to have as much 'long term' play value as G1. The G1 figures have considerably better production value than the reissues despite their age and wear.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I would say that the color issue is more to do with a cheaper plastic. Takara-Tomy uses cheaper materials than Takara did in all their products.
    Aside from personal opinion, is this documented anywhere? I'm just curious to know if it's more a case of different / lighter plastics rather than money saving measures.
    New Acquisitions:
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Aside from personal opinion, is this documented anywhere? I'm just curious to know if it's more a case of different / lighter plastics rather than money saving measures.
    I doubt they would officially document something like that - Not a good business practice.

I am speaking out of my own experience as I have both the Takara and Tomy reissues for several characters. The Tomy ones do have more faults or feel 'cheaper' than the Takara ones due to what seems to be a lesser density of the plastic.

For example - The Book reissue seekers have much better and pointy nosecones than the Encore ones. Also with Thundercracker, the plastic seems a little flimsier and of a slight difference in shade of color than the book reissue or G1 counterpart.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    *snip* I give myself a minor heart attack each time I handle them! :O The reissues will give me a minty new set that I can play with.

*snip*

3. I want to support TakaraTOMY and hopefully help convince them to do more 'new' reissues (and not more reissues of toys that have already been reissued ). Also I want to reward TakaraTOMY in putting their faith in collectors by reissuing such a heavily KOed toy (and will hopefully help convince them to reconsider reissuing other moulds that haven't been reissued but have been KOed) -- heh, this morning I was talking to some students about consumer sovereignty.
    I think you will quite like this set. There is a marked improvement over how certain joints and connectors come together and they are also appropriately reinforced so its harder to break.

I agree with your point (3), but really hope they do better on the quality.

I would say that the color issue is more to do with a cheaper plastic. Takara-Tomy uses cheaper materials than Takara did in all their products. You can tell right away when you compare Encore reissues with their 'Book' reissue counterparts.

I wouldn't expect the reissues to have as much 'long term' play value as G1. The G1 figures have considerably better production value than the reissues despite their age and wear.
    Yup, agree. The plastic quality for reissues just keep going downhill. I though the circa 2000s reissues were shoddy back then, but now, they are gold compared to the recent reissues and the really cheap quality plastic.

Oh, I should add that my set also came with this...

The box art looks a bit unco with dull green and then yellow on the other side colouring the bots?

I doubt they would officially document something like that - Not a good business practice.
    So do I and I wasn't implying that they would. Information doesn't always come directly from the company involved.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I'm satisfied with the quality levels of recent Encore releases. The ones that I have including the ones that I have handled while feeling lighter than previous TFC releases, feel just as durable IMO.

I also don't mind slight colour changes or modifications as long as they are as close as possible to the original release because at the end of the day, I'd prefer an officially licensed product over a KO.
    New Acquisitions:
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks