Thread: Cable Conundrums

Default Cable Conundrums

Whhheeeeeeee! I just gots me a sexy new LCD TV! Now, I need to get some new cables to connect my goodies to it. Problem is though, there are so many types and I am not sure which are the best to get.

When I bought it I got some Component cables to connect my DVD player. After rummaging around work, I discovered an s-video cable. After rummaging around ebay, I discovered, Scart and VGA cables and HDMI. Now considering that my TV takes them all (except for maybe scart), which should I get for what.

Heres a list of what wanna connect:
    Sega Dreamcast [DC](yes they're old they are but they're so cool, and I can still connect it to the internet!!!)
    PS2
    Wii
    Occasionally my Sega Saturn [SS] (you may laugh, but have you played Pocket Fighter?)
    DVD/VCR Combo.

So Far I have found VGA for DC, SS(maybe), Ps2 and Wii.
    S-video for all.
    HDMI fo Ps2 (although I think that may have been a typo, I don't think PS2 works with HDMI......)

So in the end it looks like a battle between S-video and VGA. Which is the better cable for my needs?

Advice required, apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Whhheeeeeeee! I just gots me a sexy new LCD TV! Now, I need to get some new cables to connect my goodies to it. Problem is though, there are so many types and I am not sure which are the best to get.

When I bought it I got some Component cables to connect my DVD player. After rummaging around work, I discovered an s-video cable. After rummaging around ebay, I discovered, Scart and VGA cables and HDMI. Now considering that my TV takes them all (except for maybe scart), which should I get for what.

Heres a list of what wanna connect:
    Sega Dreamcast [DC](yes they're old they are but they're so cool, and I can still connect it to the internet!!!)
    PS2
    Wii
    Occasionally my Sega Saturn [SS] (you may laugh, but have you played Pocket Fighter?)
    DVD/VCR Combo.

So Far I have found VGA for DC, SS(maybe), Ps2 and Wii.
    S-video for all.
    HDMI fo Ps2 (although I think that may have been a typo, I don't think PS2 works with HDMI......)

So in the end it looks like a battle between S-video and VGA. Which is the better cable for my needs?

Advice required, apply within.
    Nintendo only has 2 cables for Wii in Australia: Composite or Component. A third type (D-terminal cable) exists in Japan but it wouldn't work on our TV. You have Composite in box already, but Component is heaps better for your sexy new LCD, and is available in JB, EB, BigW etc. Make sure you get the actual Nintendo cables though and not the cheap and crap third party ones from MadCatz etc.

PS2: Again you have choices of Composite vs Component. The Component made for PS2 by Sony has long been out of stock. However, you can now pick up the PS3 version Component Cables by Sony, which work on both PS3 and PS2. Again, make sure you get the Sony ones and not third party ones.
    Last edited by Kyle; 9th June 2008 at 04:20 PM.

In terms of quality from crappiest to best:

Composite (red, white, yellow), S-Video, Component (red, blue, green, white and red again), VGA (PC Mon), HDMI
    Last edited by Kyle; 9th June 2008 at 04:22 PM.

First up, PS2 definitely doesn't have HDMI Perhaps you can play emulated PS2 software through PS3's HDMI, but i'm not positive on that, and it would surely look shit if you could.

Next, VGA is better than S-Video. Dreamcast VGA requires a VGA box though - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast_VGA

VGA/Component are effectively the same - you'd struggle to tell the difference unless side by side.

So when alls said and done, it depends how many slots your LCD has of each!
    Strangely enough, i have all the systems you're talking of and this is how mine would be setup if half of them weren't packed away!
    - Wii and DVD player through Component (Wii looks shocking on anything less)
    - Dreamcast, PS2 and Saturn through S-Video. You could do PS2 on Component, but i'm guessing you don't have more than 2 sets, and PS2 tends to look a bit jagged on the better connection.

Play-asia.com used to stock a variety of 'spider' cables that are basically a single S-video plug, with extensions for most of the major consoles - but i can't seem to find it now. This is a good option if you have limited sets of slots though.

My mistake, there's S video cable for Wii in Australia as well. But you still get better quality from Component anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwarp View Post
    So i take it that HDMI cables > everything else
    Pretty much.

On Xbox360, VGA is almost as good as HDMI, but the HDMI port only exists on 360s from more recent production runs.

i wish i was a railbot

DVI cables are also good, it is the same as HDMI minus the audio signal.

Your computer video card outputs with DVI, if its a relatively recent video card.
    Which means connecting your computer to your LCD is a viable option.