Page 47 of 57 FirstFirst ... 27374243444546474849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Government to censor the Internet

I blame (some of ours) convict past for the wadaryagunnado-non-revolutionary attitude.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Quote Originally Posted by Deonasis View Post
    I blame (some of ours) convict past for the wadaryagunnado-non-revolutionary attitude.
    When you've been arrested & sent to the other side of the world for nothing more than flogging a loaf of bread to feed your starving family, because you're at the lower end of the social-economic spectrum and that's considered a criminal offence? - You'd feel somewhat apathetic towards life too I'd imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Deonasis View Post
    Compounded with the comments of new NBN chairman Ziggy-a-man-of-failures-Switkowski.. http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/02/nb...any-time-soon/
    Movie companies, Foxtel and Telstra seem to be on easy street.
    Interesting read that one. Working in cinema in which is now mostly digital, I know for a fact that one option being looked at was digital transferring of films for sites, as it save delivery costs as well as the cost of physical drives.

However it was quickly put down due to the slow internet speeds we have...

Sure, a family might have trouble using up 100mps of speed, but I bet business wouldn't have that much trouble.

What narrow mindedness the leaders of this country have.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post

What narrow mindedness the leaders of this country have.
    I say that it's more them looking after their own interests. The Libs are running Telstra's agenda because they give them good mulah. Without the copper network, Telstra's monopoly is dead so they will defend and oppose anything that would threaten it to the very end.

Labour is just freaking stupid and incompetent.

I didn't read the links on here so correct me if I'm wrong but are we all upset about the Governments stance on internet piracy?

My 2cents (might as well throw it in) Yes I'm not happy but it is illegal so I can't exactly justify having a whinge about the Government trying to put a stop to it.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

I pirate a lot, so if they actually manage to stifle it I'll be dissapointed. But hey if something is good I buy it anyway, so I'll only really stop watching/Reading as much trash.

The governments discussion paper on how they plan to curb 'illegal' downloads is almost here. What I find interesting is that it appears to be a direct rip-off of the UK's proposed plan which was subsequently thrown out the window. Basically, in the UK, they have ruled that they cannot make the ISP's accountable which makes sense because if it were up to the ISP's, then they would have to pass the cost of policing this onto the consumer. I cannot see the 80% of people who do not engage with online piracy copping this on the chin.

Back here in Australia, the main sore point seems to be associated with Game of Thrones - the most downloaded show in history. Keen observers will also note that the main party flogging the governments agenda is News.com.au which is owned by News Corp Australia, which half-owns Foxtel, the company responsible for bringing Game of Thrones to our shores

It will be interesting to see how this plays out from here but in all honesty, for those that download, I wouldn't hold your collective breaths just yet.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    The governments discussion paper on how they plan to curb 'illegal' downloads is almost here. What I find interesting is that it appears to be a direct rip-off of the UK's proposed plan which was subsequently thrown out the window. Basically, in the UK, they have ruled that they cannot make the ISP's accountable which makes sense because if it were up to the ISP's, then they would have to pass the cost of policing this onto the consumer. I cannot see the 80% of people who do not engage with online piracy copping this on the chin.

Back here in Australia, the main sore point seems to be associated with Game of Thrones - the most downloaded show in history. Keen observers will also note that the main party flogging the governments agenda is News.com.au which is owned by News Corp Australia, which half-owns Foxtel, the company responsible for bringing Game of Thrones to our shores

It will be interesting to see how this plays out from here but in all honesty, for those that download, I wouldn't hold your collective breaths just yet.
    I don't want Foxtel just to watch Game of Thrones - It sucks! The only other alternative to watch the show when everyone else does is to download. If you wait too long, the Internet becomes a mine field of spoilers.

I buy the Blueray box set when it's released to contribute, couldn't be assed with FoxTel as is horrible and a rip off.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I buy the Blueray box set when it's released to contribute.
    And this is why HBO don't care that we pirate that bloody show to hell. Piracy is only theoretical lost money, I'll never get foxtel, it's shit. So if I pirate GoT or not the net loss is the same for foxtel.

I assume they'll only be able to control torrents from public trackers, so Pass the Popcorn and the like will be safe to use anyway. They can't win.

They think they can steer people towards Foxtel if downloading is no longer possible I think they forget that before downloading, everyone was just ripping movies / shows hired from their local video store. The only difference between the two is that someone has already done it for you. Worst case scenario - I'll just stop watching these shows altogether. I'm not going to be force-fed their advertisements when paying for what's supposed to be a premium product.

One / Ten canned the NFL hoping that people would subscribe to Fox Sports. How did that work out for them Hello Channel 7 and their new 5 year / free-to-air deal. That's what happens when companies get greedy.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]