• Only if (something else)

0 0%
  • No

3 17.65%
  • Not even interested

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Studio Series LDR Blackout

It looks great. I made a mistake of buying mine online so should recieve it by Summer. I didn’t know they were coming to local retail at the time

I'm sort of surprised no-one seems to be doing pics with Animated Blackout.

Quote Originally Posted by Ode to a Grasshopper View Post
    I'm sort of surprised no-one seems to be doing pics with Animated Blackout.
    Darers do first

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Darers do first
    I don't have the new Blackout...Tassie sucks for distribution.

Not sure if I'll ever get him tbh, I try and stick to a general 1-toy-per-character only rule and I like Animated Blackout.

This guy is kinda the opposite of Grimlock-I was more keen for him until I got him out of the box.

Not a bad figure at all (haven't tried transforming yet), but he's covered in kibble and thus can't be super expressive in his poses, which isn't helped by lack of any real weapon (I like the way they use the tail rotor but it's a bit far back to look like a dedicated weapon). However, he looks really impressive and captures the look of the robot very very well.
    The little Scorponok is good too.

Overall a nice looking figure, but I think Grimlock has more play value.

I'm quite taken with this.

Vehicle mode looks fantastic. The massive rotors really help make this look especially intimidating.

I love the transformation. It did take me a few goes around to finally figure out the position for everything going back to vehicle. I love the way the whole side of the chopper becomes either the robot mode feet or arms. It reminds me pleasantly in this way of ROTF Leader Prime, in that it draws robot mode mass from places you wouldn't expect.

The robot mode is also intimidating looking. I haven't found the kibble gets too much in the way of posing. The shoulder tabs on mine are just the right level of tolerance in that they're solid but are not frightening. Objectively speaking, it is a small leader class figure but it looks freaking amazing next to the rest of its Studio Series brethren. I'm ever so enjoying the line wide scale.

A quick word for the plastic on this figure. It's really very very light, but doesn't feel flimsy or cheap. I got much the same vibe from Studio Series Starscream. I don't know if there's been some kind of internal change in the factory making these?

Skorponok is a nice bonus I suppose but I'd rather the designers have tried to use that parts/plastic budget to work in an HFTD Leader Starscream style forearm minigun.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Yep, this thing is cool as hell.

I had no intention of buying it, especially at retail prices, but he had excellent shelf presence when I saw him in Toyworld, so an impulse purchase happened.

Definitely one of those TF's that are cooler in person than in pictures; the photos make him look really messy, but in hand it all makes more sense. And the Cons in movie 1 were messy anyway, so it's all good.

Transformation is involved but not ridiculous, certainly not the aneurysm-inducing fiddliness of ROTF Prime, but maybe something close to the Voyagers of that time. Selling these as Transformer's answer to the Star Wars 'Black Series' is a really smart move, it makes a statement to the customer that these are aimed at an older age bracket and gives them the green light for increased complexity. As much as I loved ROTF Prime, I always felt sorry for all the really young kids that would never have seen it in truck mode ever.

Plastic is definitely thin in places, but I'm sure I've read somewhere that Hasbro did have a manufacturing change starting with the TLK toys - there's a definite increase in sharpness of details in places recently, most noticeable in head sculpts. Putting the effort there makes sense too as that's where the eye is drawn first on most TFs.

I saw this guy in TRU in Sydney last weekend and it took a serious fortification of my will not to buy him - he looks fantastic!

Hopefully I can get him a bit cheaper down the line