View Poll Results: MP Grimlock - worth buying?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 55.56%
  • Only if cheap

9 33.33%
  • No

1 3.70%
  • Not interested

2 7.41%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Hasbro Masterpiece Grimlock

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    That was $200, I split mine with Gamblor as I needed only the trailer, but it was a hit miss, if you recall there were a lot of complaints of poor QC such as missing parts so I thought when I opened mine to inspect I was holding my breath praying that it isnt damaged as there were no other ones left on the shelf to exchange it to. Target Blacktown came out with about 3-4 only.
    I think I paid $220 for mine. Was the only one that Target Penrith had so I put it on layby. Then a few weeks after I got him out of layby, there were like 10 of him on the shelves I must have been lucky though because mine does not suffer from any of the QC complaints.

As for Grimlock, I would be tempted to buy one, even though I do have the TakTom version. But when you need every spare penny, I just can't justify buying another version of him. Maybe they will still have a few when I actually have money again.

I said at the WA meet yesterday that something that is really putting me off MP Grimlock is that the T Rex mode is too upright - which I know is accurate to G1 but I still find annoying. I was told that you could position the beast mode in a more realistic manner and that it had the balance for this -does anyone have a picture of this?

I really do like this MP. The only draw back for it is how loose the Tail section is due to the 'wag' gimmick. Otherwise everything works. My only other gripe with Hasbro MP's is their lack of the little instruction booklet and card.

Is it worth the $150 price tag? Probably not but as long as we keep paying, they'll keep charging.

1AZRAEL1: mebbe you could sell your TakTOM Grimmie and use the money to help pay for a Hasbro one? You could sell your TakTOM one for a cheaper price and keep the tray, apron and brain scanner and be one of few collectors to own a single MP Grimlock with all of his accessories! Just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    So Omega Supreme wanted Megatron to meet Hasbro people?
    Pretty much!

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    I said at the WA meet yesterday that something that is really putting me off MP Grimlock is that the T Rex mode is too upright - which I know is accurate to G1 but I still find annoying. I was told that you could position the beast mode in a more realistic manner and that it had the balance for this -does anyone have a picture of this?
    Tell me you don't want one now!

He is the master of balance!

And the other conclusion we can draw, is that i need to do some dusting!

I don't have the Hasbro MP Grimlock, I went TAKTomy and had to get a 3rd party crown.

After having a gander at Kup's Comic King Grimlock and the Hasbro Grimlock at Toys R Us I must conclude that any MP Grimlock is a good Grimlock. At least until Hasbro release a Universe style repaint.

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    Tell me you don't want one now!

He is the master of balance!

And the other conclusion we can draw, is that i need to do some dusting!
    Thanks kurdt!

Urge to buy getting stronger.

I like the figure but being a fan of complex conversions made Grimlock slightly disappointing. The looseness of the tail was weird but I like the subtler use of the light gimmick. When I saw that cut out bit on his right side snout, I thought it was a manufacturing error but noticed everyone elses had it. It was just for the hinge of the flip-top portion of the head.

I know, I'll be looked at funny when I say this. I don't give a rats bottom about the crown. I'd have rather the waiter gear and brain doodad. Should have just picked up the Japanese release.

Quote Originally Posted by Stompy
    I know, I'll be looked at funny when I say this. I don't give a rats bottom about the crown. I'd have rather the waiter gear and brain doodad.
    Well it all depends on whether you're more of a fan of the G1 comics or the G1 cartoon (ya know, despite the fact that the comics had vastly better stories and lasted 6 times longer than the cartoon; but hey, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent blokes )

Like I said, Hasbro version rocks for lovers of the G1 comics, and TOMY version rocks for lovers of the G1 cartoon. And of course, each version can change between red or blue eyes depending on whether your prefer toy/comic accuracy or cartoon-likeness. So in the end everyone's happy as you can just choose between the TOMY or Hasbro version depending on your preference! Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Stompy
    Should have just picked up the Japanese release.
    I'd definitely go for the TOMY version if I preferred toon-likeness. I think the crown's pretty meaningless if you're not a fan of the comics (just as the apron, tray and brain doodad (I like that term ) doesn't that much for people like me who prefer the comics. Is the Japanese version still in stock anywhere? I haven't checked any import stores in Sydney for ages and I don't know what it's like in Melbourne. Any online dealers have them in stock?

From a purely visual point-of-view I like the comic Grimlock the most. The combination of the yellower gold and shadow grey (and that spectacular box)really hits a home run for me. Shame I'll never be able to justify buying one.