Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grimlock Then and Now Query

Thumbs down Grimlock Then and Now Query

Evening everyone.

During my recent scouting of the toy shops.
    I saw first hand the Grimlock then and now.
    Mind you when I first heard bout this pack, I thought what an
    absolutely sensational idea.

But as I held the box in my hand, my grim
    of amazement soon turned into a scowl of bitter
    disappointment. Call me nostalgic, but the Gromlock I
    knew (when the bots and the cons ran out of Cybertonium).
    Grimlock had gold neck and feet claws and silver arms.
    The new version came the golds bits were a strange yellow.
    The silver replaced with another non metallic colour.

Maybe I'm being melodramatic, but does anyone else share my view?

Not to mention that the new grimlock instead of a coppery
    colour he was more a orange brown.

Yeah the G1 Grimlock in that set is not even a G1 Grimlock. Its a repaint of Energon Grimlock. A REALLY ordinary figure at that. G1 Grimlock has never been reissued.

I have no interest in getting this set. Voyager Grimlock is available separately, and Energon Grimlock is a crap mould. We all know that HasTak have lost the original G1 Grimlock mould (hence why they couldn't include a reissue of it as TakaraTOMY did with Chronicles Optimus Prime and Megatron), but IMHO they would've been better off using the Classics Grimlock mould instead of Energon. They did reuse the Fall of Cybertron Generations Grimlock mould which is included w/ the Target exclusive set w/ the DotM Deluxe Optimus Prime redeco (though I'm personally not a fan of the "Silver Knight" deco which (spoiler)doesn't even appear in the film(/spoiler)). Eh... none of the Age of Extinction two packs have interested me so far. The Platinum Edition Optimus Prime/Grimlock set seems good if you don't already have both of those figures (which I already do), and even then the current Myer sale price matches the RRPs for those figures separately at other stores (so it's not really that cheap, just cheaper than Myer's otherwise exorbitant price for that set ).

Quote Originally Posted by VERT View Post
    G1 Grimlock has never been reissued.
    Yes he has. But the mould hasn't been used since 1993, so some time since then it was damaged/lost. Swoop appears to be the first of the Dinobot moulds to be damaged/lost, as that mould has never been reused. Sludge and Snarl were also reissued, and the Slag mould was used in G2, but Swoop has never been reissued and was not used in G2, indicating that it was probably the first to be lost. Which is not surprising considering that Swoop is also the most fragile of the G1 Dinobots too.

I have the Target set. I quite like that Grimlock its worth it for that. The Prime is not so good. But for the Price its a good deal. $59 $50 for the Voyager Grimmy and $10 for a chrome Prime. Even better when the sale starts. But that is the Best new Grimmy to fill a G1 spot.

@Goktimus - I did look at that version you mentioned, but decided on getting the leader class Grimlock. I just missed out on the
    optimus platinum edition. Physical store stock in my area is out.
    I'm hoping that Target get stock of this for their toy sale, otherwise
    I'll buy it online

Quote Originally Posted by VERT View Post
    But that is the Best new Grimmy to fill a G1 spot.
    Isn't Hasbro's new Masterpiece Grimlock coming out here? I'd say that's probably your best G1 Grimlock fix IMHO. Hopefully it'll sell here at a reasonable price (no more than $150, which is how much the 1st Hasbro MP Grimmie sold for ).

Modern day reissue Gok not the 90s

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Isn't Hasbro's new Masterpiece Grimlock coming out here? I'd say that's probably your best G1 Grimlock fix IMHO. Hopefully it'll sell here at a reasonable price (no more than $150, which is how much the 1st Hasbro MP Grimmie sold for ).

And im not counting MPs when I say Best G1 Grimlock to fill the Spot. Im talking about to fit in with Classics.

While I like Classics Grimlock he just feels to small for me.....Still like him though

The Target 2-pack with FOC Grimlock is indeed a nice representation of the Gen1 look of Grimlock, in at least the robot mode... complete with the colour splotches on the legs that the Evolutions (Energon) Grimlock has on its legs.
    It's more affordable than the MP Grimlock, and the Optimus that comes with it has so much bling, you could fool your non-fan friends into thinking it is a Lucky Draw (competition) Optimus in truck mode.

I like that chromed Optimus but don't want the ugly Grimlock. I'm waiting for the sale to start. I will probably get one then and sell off Grimlock.