Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gasaraki's Transformers Classics - Photography, Reviews, & Musings

Default Gasaraki's Transformers Classics - Photography, Reviews, & Musings

Been thinking about doing something like this for a while, so here it goes! My own little collection is focused mainly on updates of the G1 roster, so naturally I go for Classics/Universe/Generations figures.

I also have an interest in photography, so I'm gonna combine this with my TF hobby for this thread, which is going to be primarily a reference for myself. It'll probably also be a place to record collected thoughts/musings, many of which would've have occurred over 6 years of collecting interest, as well as a lifetime of Transformers influence.

As for my reference for what is in G1, I consider TFwiki's G1 roster to be the standard, and will roughly try to follow the order presented there.

To start with, a little something special...

G1 roster of Classics/Universe Seekers

I've searched images on the 'net but haven't seen something quite like this.... a picture I've been wanting to take ever since the Classics Starscream came out way back in '06, and we all knew that some day the full set would be available. I was really happy when Thundercracker came out a couple years back... following him, it was then a patient search to get my hands on a Skywarp. Happily for Classics collectors, with the United sets now costing around $250 to get, an original set of these probably should go for well upwards of $300.

What is it about the Seekers that makes so many love them like crazy? So much so that the opposing view of frank indifference is almost a reaction to the devotion of others. Is it that they turn into some of the most exclusive vehicles on the planet (how many of us have sat in an F-15?)? Is it the look of a well executed plane robot (ok, not so much the G1 toys)? Is it the representation of the power of flight? Heck if I was a TF, I'd certainly turn into something that flies myself...

IMO, Thundercracker looks the best of this bunch... there's something about the paint they used with his color scheme that just really pops. Skywarp by rights should look coolest, but maybe the one I got has gone a little flat over the years, whereas TC is quite new. Of the coneheads, Dirge has my money.
    Recent acquisitions: SS Leader Blackout & Deluxe Starscream, & FP Pinchar (Snarl)!
    Upcoming: SS Voyager OP, Megs, Brawl & Ironhide!
    Wishlist: Voyager Astrotrain & Octane (Thank you Hasbro!), Modern Dinobots (Thank you FP!)

Perth WAtch - YouTube - Sharing my passion for watches & horology
    Perth TransFan - YouTube - Sharing my interest in all things Transformers!

Yeah the seekers are one of my favourite as well... When will takara/hasbro release a masterpiece of the conehead seeker!!.. don't really want to get the KO igears .... at least they releasing acid storm soon

Keep posting your collection up , love seeing them

Quote Originally Posted by lancalot View Post
    Yeah the seekers are one of my favourite as well... When will takara/hasbro release a masterpiece of the conehead seeker!!.. don't really want to get the KO igears .... at least they releasing acid storm soon

Keep posting your collection up , love seeing them
    Thanks dude... I'll try to do another post later tonight.
    Recent acquisitions: SS Leader Blackout & Deluxe Starscream, & FP Pinchar (Snarl)!
    Wishlist: Voyager Astrotrain & Octane (Thank you Hasbro!), Modern Dinobots (Thank you FP!)

Nice picture of the seekers there, you've done what I would one day love to do myself.
    Pity I got back into collecting too late to get Skywarp before the set with him and Ultra Magnus became scarce, but the dream remains.
    Looking forwards to some more line ups

Default Generations Fall of Cybertron Deluxe Brawl

OK, I got something a little different about this figure to share, so before I get into season 1 Transformers proper, here's something recent:

Fall of Cybertron Deluxe Brawl

I have to say I really don't like this figure. What is with those feet? A half-arsed effort from a kid would've resulted in better and more stable feet than the pretty much non-existent flaps this guy has. Rear kibble could also have been handled better, and the way you're forced to show the hollowed out forearms is another bad point in a terrible figure.

With United Brawl and Movie Deluxe Brawl

Both the other figures here do a better G1 color impression than FoC Brawl. So maybe color isn't all that important, but why is it that Movie Deluxe Brawl, who is 5 years older, craps all over FoC Brawl? Movie Brawl is not without his own issues, but he's got more articulation than many many Deluxes, and is way way better looking IMO. United Brawl isn't a great figure either, but I think coupling United Bruticus with the Fansproject repaint figures make FoC Combaticons obsolete in my collection.

Vehicle (really?) Mode

What is this meant to be?? OK, it's a rhetorical question - I know it's supposedly a Cybertronian hover tank, but the thing I really wonder about is this: if you have the ability to 'cheat' with a fictional alt-mode (i.e. not being constrained to a real world design), then don't you have an easier job creating a good Transformer?

Are there any good points? Well, I do like the turret articulation and the integration of the hand weapon into it. It's almost as if the whole turret construct is really to facilitate a non-official mode, which I think ironically is the best thing this figure's got going for it:

Spider Tank Mode

I haven't seen anything like this as yet, but this spider tank mode seems a really obvious alternative to me, and is what I will leave this guy in when he is displayed!

Ratings:
    Character importance 4/10 - Brawl was never a big character in G1, and 2007 film had about 2 words from him. IDW's given him some page time recently though.
    Toy 3/10 - Only got him to 'Build Giant Robot'. Maybe 5/10 counting the spider tank mode.

"Die in your shame, you sorry excuse for a Combaticon!"
    Last edited by Gasaraki; 2nd April 2013 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHyren View Post
    Nice picture of the seekers there, you've done what I would one day love to do myself.
    Pity I got back into collecting too late to get Skywarp before the set with him and Ultra Magnus became scarce, but the dream remains.
    Looking forwards to some more line ups
    Spot on there about Skywarp... I ended paying something like $45 for the guy on eBay (about 2 years back). I first settled for a CHMS KO (around $20) which actually displays very satisfactorily, but no one handling the toy will be fooled into thinking it's an original.

The Ace Seeker Skywarp is pretty nice and so are the other two figures in the pack.
    If anyone doesn't have Screamer already, why not buy the pack? It's well worth it, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    The Ace Seeker Skywarp is pretty nice and so are the other two figures in the pack.
    If anyone doesn't have Screamer already, why not buy the pack? It's well worth it, IMHO.
    Yeah I agree... the Seeker Ace Skywarp does look very nice, and I actually prefer the purple they've used over Classics Skywarp. However, since I can't just get him alone, I'd probably have to give it a skip since I can't justify getting the 'Scream and TC as well...

IMO $120-130 is not too bad a deal for 3 paints of what has proven to be a very resilient mold. If I didn't have the Classics/Generations version of these guys (and even if I've got say 1 of them already) I wouldn't think twice about getting this set.

Default Classics Deluxe Bumblebee

Bumblebee oh Bumblebee. Seems like much sighing accompanies every release of a new 'Bee toy these days, which is understandable given that Hasbro/Takara seem to always revert to him and OP as the perennial new line defaults. Classics 'Bee came out before the explosion of the live-action movies, and did I ever love this guy. Must've been about the 3rd or 4th Classics toy I got, and still one of the few that is almost always out on my shelf.

I think the hot hatch update is a very good one... nondescript enough not to be recognised as a definite brand, but clearly a sporty hatchback nonetheless. Very clean lines, neat undertray, and some interior seat detail to boot! Many people seem to like the RTS release with the black stripes, but I probably still go back to this dude when I have to choose. Cliffjumper arguably has a nicer deco, but he doesn't hold a candle in the recognizability stakes. Not too crazy about the wave-crusher gizmo (deliberately not shown) myself though.

Robot mode - didn't realize I managed to photograph the Autobot symbol!

Robot mode is likewise a very good update of the G1 look - he's got the car roof torso, bonnet feet, and horns. I used to dislike the door kibble on the arms, but over time this has proven to be not too bad in comparison with many other figures (Voyager Prime, ahem). The loose shoulder wheel swivel can make posing difficult, and lack of waist, ankle (i.e. feet can't sit flat) & wrist articulation are minor weaknesses.

Ratings:
    Character importance 10/10 - Even 11 if that makes sense. 'Bee is one of the most important and well known TFs of all, with the major role in the Bayverse movies capapulting him into lay vocabulary.
    Toy 7/10 - Some minor weaknesses but he's still my go to Bumblebee.

"You're kidding me? You foiled his plans for world domination and he let you get away with a crushed vocalizer??"

Default MakeToys not-Scrapper

Got Green Giant recently, and I've enjoyed him so much I could't resist jumping into reviewing these guys now... but seeing as they are unauthorised products, I've placed a new thread in the 3rd party forums here.