Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gasaraki's Transformers Classics - Photography, Reviews, & Musings

Quote Originally Posted by Gasaraki View Post
    So it fits! I had been wondering that... although hadn't researched too much into it. I got the Generations one MOSC sitting around... will have to try it when I get around to open it. I kinda also had in mind swapping the head when I bought the dude. Does the Classics head look any good on the Generations body?
    Narp. Also, the Classics head is a bit too big for the Generations body - he can't transform into vehicle mode properly with it attached. But the Generations head looks pretty good on the Classics body.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasaraki View Post
    Hahah.... that's a funny anecdote! You might say that BT Sunstreaker and Sideswipe also look nothing much like their homage characters. And... Grimlock!?!? But I guess at least the heads kinda do.
    The heads most certainly make a big difference (just ask Cliffjumper ). And the bodies do evoke the characters too. Grimlock may not be a robotic dinosaur, but they did choose a beefy muscle car, and the way it forms the robot mode really bulks him up. He even comes with an Energo Sword. The main downside with that toy is the counter-intuitive transformation. But the BT Grimlock mould really does evoke the Grimlock character. I personally didn't think it was the best idea to redeco the mould as Wheeljack; despite the extensive repaint and retooled head, that mould still looks too bulky to be Wheeljack... it's like Wheeljack on 'roids. And Wheeljack with a sword just feels weird (yeah, I know ironic considering the current incarnation of that namesake )

Default United Bruticus (and FansProject Crossover 02SP)

"COMBATICONS COMBINE!!"

Got this a while ago and opened them up for my birthday, along with FansProject's fantastic add-on... but honestly only got this guy to make Colossus. It's a nice little moment to see that Starscream is the perfect guy to pose with him whilst also serving as the perfect size comparator.

The Energon combiners seemed to be little loved given the massive compromises they had, and repainting Bruticus Maximus into the ROTF/Universe version did nothing for the poor guy. United's version improved it a little by getting rid of the horrible translucency of the limb parts (apparently they were hands and feet?), but coloring can really only achieve so much in this case.

Having said that, the color scheme they have applied for United Bruticus is arguably the best of all the versions of the mold, and IMO, the best of the three individual bots here is Vortex. The helicopter is really not bad for the size (and age) of the figure, and the robot is not the eye sore that the other 2 guys are. Onslaught sadly does suffer, but I can forgive the guy some way as it's the natural challenge with torso bots.

Unfortunately the gestalt (United Bruticus I mean) is barely serviceable, and whilst it poses better than G1 counterparts, it's just plain UGLY! I'm not sure whether it's this or the duplicate limb molds that's the most annoying factor...

Ratings:
    Character importance 6.5/10 - Bruticus has a spattering of appearances through the G1 continuities, and was involved in some really fun memorable battles in season 2.
    Toy 3/10 - Sorry Hasbro/Takara, I really don't like this by itself... Vortex is a small saving grace.

Thoughts and review of the Crossover 02SP kit and Colossus here.
    Recent acquisitions: SS Leader Blackout & Deluxe Starscream, & FP Pinchar (Snarl)!
    Upcoming: SS Voyager OP, Megs, Brawl & Ironhide!
    Wishlist: Voyager Astrotrain & Octane (Thank you Hasbro!), Modern Dinobots (Thank you FP!)

Perth WAtch - YouTube - Sharing my passion for watches & horology
    Perth TransFan - YouTube - Sharing my interest in all things Transformers!

Default What makes a 'perfect' Transformer?

Had been musing a little on FansProject's Last Chance over at the 3rd party acquisition thread. Something about this piece just makes me like it very much, despite the fact that it's US$60 before postage for what is in total not a huge amount of plastic, and it's smaller than the average Deluxe. So what makes me feel happy having forked out that amount?

A number of initial thoughts come to mind. First, it's 3rd party, and given the lower production runs, we accept a higher cost straight off the bat. Second, it's better engineered than the vast majority of TFs, both official and non-official. FP managed to fit a complex very well articulated robot into a very tight car. Probably more than anything, it's the innovation and engineering I don't mind paying for. Third, it's made with a lot of attention and love... the color choice is gorgeous, and pains were taken to homage the paintwork of G1 Deadend's car mode, and the paint apps (including lovely gold on the face) don't leave me wanting.

Interestingly, after fiddling with it a couple more days, a different set of thoughts then came to mind, as it seemed like the reasons why I like this toy so much went even beyond those first thoughts. Just as much, it came down to what makes a great (if not perfect) TF toy, many factors of which this little guy embodies very well:

1. Great robot mode - probably this above most things, it's gotta look great (from all angles, including the back) and pose great. It's gotta have minimal or no kibble. It should be expressive.
    2. Great alt-mode - mostly has to look great. If it's an Earth mode, it should resemble what it's meant to be, and shouldn't look like it will transform. Preferably should also look great even from underneath. Wheels should turn, propellers rotate, etc.
    3. Satisfying transform - this will mean different things to different people, but I think it should be intuitive, not too simple (and it won't be if the robot is very articulated), but also not frustratingly hard.
    4. Media accurate - it should look like who it's meant to be (G1 Ironhide/Rachet, I'm looking at you guys!).

So there's my thoughts on what is probably a very subjective topic. It's those factors that semi-subconsciously, for me at least, makes me like or dislike a toy. Last Chance fulfills many of these factors, and FP can be proud to have put out a figure like this.
    Recent acquisitions: SS Leader Blackout & Deluxe Starscream, & FP Pinchar (Snarl)!
    Wishlist: Voyager Astrotrain & Octane (Thank you Hasbro!), Modern Dinobots (Thank you FP!)

Default Wreckers Ensemble!

"Wreckers don't call for back-up... we call for CLEAN-UP!"
    - Bulkhead

"What do you mean it's a lost cause? Of COURSE it's a last cause. That's why we're here!"
    - Springer

The fan-favorite Autobot sub-division par-excellence... what is it about the Wreckers that endear them to us? It's probably gotta do with a combination of several factors - maverick characters who have a tendency to shoot first, a certain disregard for formal regulations, that 'win even if it costs our sparks attitude', and just the sheer history of attracting some of the toughest Autobots. Whereas Decepticon philosophy has an ends justifying the means tang, the Wrecker philosophy is much like 'my spark is worth the end we fight for - and the end is probably today!'.

Ever since Mech Ideas released their homages to Topspin and Twin Twist, I've kinda wanted to fill a roster of Wreckers. The hunt has been an exciting one, with some expensive aftermarket buys, but when Sandstorm finally got here, my ensemble was complete (at least for now).

So here's my thoughts on what might constitute and update to the G1 representations of these characters, and some alternatives:

AERIAL BRIGADE

Sandstorm:
    Generations Voyager - there's been enough gushing about this mold, and I'll simply say that I think it's currently the best choice.
    Generations Scout - a remold, and with ROTF aesthetics = not good enough. Not to mention too small, and only does the buggy.

Topspin:
    Mech Ideas Apex - a really awesome homage, with excellent articulation and super faithful to G1 aesthetics. Another 2cm of height would make it near perfect.
    Generations Deluxe - doesn't quite cut it for me, but a cheaper alternative.

Whirl:
    DOTM Deluxe Vortex with Headrobots Drone - I think this is the best there is at the moment, and homages IDW Whirl very nicely.
    Universe Ultra - this was just ... crap. Enough said.
    Generations Deluxe - a remold of Vortex which is OK, but certainly not as good as the DOTM Vortex/Drone combo.
    Generations Voyager - yet to be released, this is looking a little too lanky, but impressions may change.

GROUND DIVISION

Perceptor:
    Universe Deluxe - easy choice for me, with the aesthetics being based on IDW, which is the only place where Perceptor is a Wrecker. Add-on the iGear rifle and he's great to go. Doesn't do an official microscope though.
    Third party - there a couple on the way which will be triple changers, but I think I will end up passing as I'm happy with what I've got.

Twin Twist:
    Mech Ideas Geminus - See for Apex above... this guy is a great mold.
    Generations Twin Twist - Brawl remold, again, doesn't cut it for me.

Roadbuster: - Probably the most interesting conundrum
    Universe Deluxe - OK, it's a remold, and the head's wrong, but it's the best I've managed to get my hands on. At least he's buff, like this guy should be. Not the best.
    Generations Deluxe - might be a better choice in the end, but still a Swindle remold that's far from perfect.
    Combat Calibur - if you can afford this guy, he's probably the best at the moment, but I'm gonna hold back...
    Fansproject not-Roadbuster - this might be the one to wait for in the end.

LEADERS

Springer:
    Generations Voyager - Once again, enough gushing. I think this is an awesome mold and is super fitting as the leader of the Wreckers.
    Fansproject Defender - The only other triple changing Springer we have... was really good when it came out, but I think the official Voyager now trumps it.
    Universe Voyager - only does helicopter, was a very good toy, and was the representation of Springer on my shelf until now.
    Botcon Deluxe - too much Cybertron Defense Hotshot, and too little Springer I think.

Ultra Magnus:
    Classics Voyager with Fansproject City Commander - I make no secret that I love this combo and think it's legendary. It's a little too anime for some, but I love the aesthetic, and this guy is definitely my choice for UM.
    Prime BH Voyager - a reasonable stand-in and I would accept it as a second choice. Love the shoulders on this guy, but some hate it.
    Prime RID Voyager - good for Prime, but aesthetics too far from G1 to be a good choice IMO.
    Generations FOC Deluxe - yikes! A nice toy, but way too small to be UM! MakeToys add-in looks good, but aesthetics again not right.

Kup:
    Generations Deluxe - a great update, and the iGear head and pistols completes it very nicely and just adds so much character. ATM, no other versions out there I'd consider.

Broadside:
    Fansproject Assaulter - this was one of my last pickups, and one I am liking so far. His look is different, but I think he still fits in fine, and he's got a very nice jet mode.
    Broadside is a character where there's just no other modern alternatives we have seen, so FP it is.

And there we have it.... my own rather personal selection of the Wreckers. I might take a serious look at the iGear not-Impactor if it ever materializes, but not that interested in the Generations Onslaught remold. For now, the set is complete:

Default TF shopping in KL and surrounds

Being a native of Malaysia, I still make the odd trip back home, and have many fond memories of times spent wandering the massive shopping centers looking out for the odd bit of interest. Was back there just last week, and was surprised to see that the prolific AnimeTech stores have now all closed down. Those who are familiar will recall that aside from the large selection of mainly pirated Anime stuff, they often carried an eclectic selection of TFs at not unreasonable aftermarket prices. Oh well, too bad. On trawling through some forums, I was amused to see some rather serious comments about them being a 'scourge on civilization' and a 'cancer that needed to die years ago'. Man, some people need to lighten up!

Anyway, here's a brief report of where I wandered to this time around, which may help some as a guide:

Lot 10 - this place is struggling, and probably will have closed if not for the great basement food court. Only place I saw TFs was in the Isetan department store, where I saw Generations Springer and GDO stuff on shelf for the first time - it was surreal. Retail Voyagers go for RM110 (AUD38), Deluxes for RM60 (AUD20):

Suria KLCC - I advise against coming here on weekends... bucket loads of people and narrow walkways make for an unpleasant time, although I admit I have kids with me. The TRU had the usual interesting stock of Gundam and a lot of Generations stuff. This was the one time I saw a Roadbuster, and I am glad I snapped him up (only 1 on the shelf). Also first time I saw YotS Bruticus & Grimlock, priced at RM400 (AUD135) which sounds reasonable:

Pavilion - Not a big fan of this place as it's rather upmarket, but the Parkson store had a nice toys sections with plenty of GDO stuff. There's also sad looking stall called Toy Garden in the Tokyo section at the top floor, which had overpriced aftermarket items.

Publika - This is a fascinating mall catered for foreigners with lots of interesting arty stores, and not departmental anchor. There is a nice little shop called Big Bang Toys here which had an MP-13 priced at RM600 (AUD200) and an MP-12 at RM260 (AUD90), but no other stores of note I could find:

1 Utama - This is where I got to spend most time, with several trips, as my relatives live in this suburb. Incidentally it's the 5th largest shopping mall in the world, and was the most pleasant one with plenty of space to walk around, even when packed on weekends. The TRU had an extensive stock of TFP First Editions, all available except Bumblebee. Parkson had the usual stuff, and AEON has the best selection of Gundam I saw, for those who are interested. Most interesting of all is an independent store called VHobby which had a great selection of TF United, and Takara TFP and Generations stuff, mostly at reasonable prices, e.g. Generations Deluxes going at RM100 (AUD35), as well as a few MP around, including MP-05(!) going for what I thought was a very reasonable RM450 (AUD150) IIRC. What I picked up was an MP-12 for RM270 (AUD90). Of note is that United Ultra Magnus seems to be in demand, and was priced at RM285 (AUD95) as compared with other United Voyagers at RM120 (AUD40) or so.

Tropicana City Mall - a smaller mall in a smaller suburb, but notable for the store Brickboy Brothers, ostensibly a Lego collector store, but they also have a number of older MP on display, plus a few for sale, including a King Grimlock in box for RM1200 (AUD400), plus some other older stuff, most notable of which are Encore items as well as some busts (which look like they're not in high demand). They also have a TRU.

And that's where I got to... would have loved to be able to make it to Megamall, but didn't manage to this time around. I know there are a couple of hobby stores on the top floor (e.g. XL-Shop and Comics Mart) which may well have had some very interesting items.

they had comic grimlock! cool....