Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personal investment

Default Personal investment

need help for my assignment

Basically given a imagery $100,000 to invest in securities on the ASX. Frekin man! don't know the first thing about share trading/option etc...

i know this thead will be like a three post subject, plus hay might be a revealation

No worry about plagiarism as none of you are stock brokers/financial planners. Basically just general advice on good stocks,etc..

i made a ASX watchlist account and being a pretend stockbroker is fun
    right now i suck at it
    Total portfolio worth: $86,887 change -$838

also any1 got any tips on share trading
    Wanted items:
    eHobby Orion Pax and Dion

having almost no idea about it but hey heres my 2c

blue chip stocks should be the way to go, if your assignment includes the dividends that you will receive from them, cause they give you good dividends i was told.
    would love to dabble in the stock market, but im way too impatient to do it.

hope what i said helps but wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't :P

didnt blue chip stocks almost cause a crash in the US stock markets in 2000?
    Wanted items:

lol idk
    could be
    next question
    if this is an assignment for school/uni, why dont you know anything about it :P
    shouldnt they teach you how to do it, or at least some basic theory behind it??

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I'd put that into a high interest term deposit instead.

But if you must buy stocks, then rio tinto and bhp.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    lol idk
    could be
    next question
    if this is an assignment for school/uni, why dont you know anything about it :P
    shouldnt they teach you how to do it, or at least some basic theory behind it??
    i have no idea how events afect stock prices , oh well maybe bad idea making this thead
    Wanted items:

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Well, start watching the news more. Go to www.news.com.au every day and read it all. Look at the financial section. Watch the stock reports on the news at night and watch the trends. Pay more attention to boom industries, such as mining.

General business dealings, take overs and new product announcements also affect prices.

And trillion dollar lender near collapses also affect the prices world wide too.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

thanks MV75 , some stuff i need to ponder on,

Can delete thead please
    Wanted items:

Long term - banks, retailers.
    Short term - miners, resources (gold, iron ore, oil), but NOT banks.

Gold is said to be on another rally (it lost about 20% in the last couple of months, which helped push our currency down at the same time as the interest rate cut speculation), and is expected to regain that lost 20%, and more, in the next 6 months. Demand for resources and oil is still high in our neighbouring countries, so even though they are plateauing a little lately, they should be pretty solid for a while.
    A tip is keeping an eye on upcoming policy changes by the governments (state and federal), and look at what sectors will benefit from it most. Like, when there was an expected tax cut or baby bonus due in the last few years, retailers had a spike in sales (especially white goods and electrical entertainment). Or, the implimentation of a new tax or compulsary inclusion of something, or new rebate - see what companies would most benefit from it.
    That'd be a bit of work though, and if it is just a school project, as opposed to a competition, it's probably just best to go with the easiest short term stocks mentioned above.

As Griffin said mining and the resources sectors are the way to go for any short term investments.

Steer clear of the retail sector too, it's not going in the right direction, and wont be for at least another few months.

If you could base the stocks on international stock exchanges, I'd invest heavily in Pumpkins in the USA, but make sure to sell before the end of October!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)