View Poll Results: GEN Devastator - worth buying?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

42 84.00%
  • Only if...

2 4.00%
  • No

1 2.00%
  • Not even interested

5 10.00%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112

Thread: Toy Review - Combiner Wars Devastator

I haven't assembled Devastator yet, but I've finally over the course of the week transformed them all into robot mode. I too really like the G1 head sculpts and the extra articulation lends to much more dynamic pose ability I feel. I love the metallic silver highlights across the team.

while they are sometimes quite simple in transformation, I'm very impressed with the elegance of the design so far. I too feel that the extra $10 and 2 month wait ( I never saw one at the mid year sale) is well worth the extra elements of the UW version. The corner of the coffee table is a little crowded at the moment. I like the G1 guns much more than the chest shield component guns.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Just got to my UW Dev today and I really like his combined mode. The single bot modes are ok (I like the face sculpts) but thing like Hook's crane and Mixmaster's backpack are really poor designs. I reckon Hook's crane would have benefited from an extra snap hinge about half way along. That way it could fold up in bot mode, and fold down onto the back of Devastator's shoulder when in combined mode.

Another thing on mine, were Scrapper's new hinged elbows. I put quite a lot of force into trying to unclip them, but they wouldn't budge even a little. It got to the point where I was putting enough pressure trying to release the clip, that the swivel joint plastic was actually bending (but luckily no stress marks.) So I gave up after that.

Quote Originally Posted by TAAUBlaster View Post
    Another thing on mine, were Scrapper's new hinged elbows. I put quite a lot of force into trying to unclip them, but they wouldn't budge even a little. It got to the point where I was putting enough pressure trying to release the clip, that the swivel joint plastic was actually bending (but luckily no stress marks.) So I gave up after that.
    So does this mean that his elbows are really hard to bend? If so, I suspect that it may be to make his arms more solid as load-bearing heel struts for Devastator (which is why I think Hasbro didn't bother having them in the first place).

I don't know if it is the elbow hinge or not. But I just can't get mine to unclip in the first place. It won't budge at all. I tried again just now, and its "deforming" the plastic when I try to bend it. Not comfortable putting any more pressure than that on it.

I haven't seen it mentioned in any reviews - which if it was a design thing it would be on almost everyone's UW Dev.

The upper arms (where the wheels clip on), are made in a different, more bendier plastic, and are designed to take some angular load when you use the ankle rocker. The Hasbro version uses the same plastic. Pretty sure you can force a little bit to un-clip the forearms. Grab the elbow where the hinge is and apply firm force. Mine was the same at first, after a couple times they work just find now.

I've tried using a few different grabbing points, but they elbows are just stuck and won't move. And for a $200 odd figure, I don't want to risk breaking it.

Since the plastic can flex, the chances of breaking are low, as long as you apply force on the right place to protect the hinge.

Then again, I feel your pain. It is the uncomfortable combination of flex + rigid plastic with a strong clip in the middle. Any force you apply the soft plastic will bend first.

Smint is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

It's tight but the plastic is flexible. I think if you bend it slowly there's actually more chance of doing damage to it because the plastic spends more time in that flexed position. That's my theory anyway.

Once i had a feel of how it bends i just quickly snap it at the joint.