Page 11 of 63 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162131 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Definitive Comic collection from Hachette now in Australia

In the UK, it looks like there is one other set of bonus items - a set of six exclusive art prints, spread out over the run of the series, with this one of Jazz being set for release with the final two volumes (in about 3 years time). It will be interesting to see if we get them here as well, as they note that these go out to "Premium Subscribers" in the UK, which we don't have here.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    In the UK, it looks like there is one other set of bonus items - a set of six exclusive art prints, spread out over the run of the series, with this one of Jazz being set for release with the final two volumes (in about 3 years time). It will be interesting to see if we get them here as well, as they note that these go out to "Premium Subscribers" in the UK, which we don't have here.
    Be nice if it showed up as an optional extra that you could purchase...

28 days and still no books... despite their website (and recorded message on their phone) saying that your first shipment will be within 21 days.
    It was definitely ordered, and confirmation email was received... I'm beginning to wonder if they can be trusted for 80 volumes if they can't even get the first one sent out (and I had better not miss out on the freebies too).

I got a "tracking advice" email today saying my first shipment from them is due to arrive tomorrow.

I missed the "first" shipment because their website hadn't recorded my credit card details and I had to sort that out on the phone and have been patiently waiting since for something to be delivered.

Hmmm... haven't had any probs with them (except for one of the issues having a few pages uncut). I just received my 2nd notice last night. First subscription was for 3 issues and a couple of freebies. This delivery is supposed to include the mugs...

I still haven't got my first shipment either. I did get a notice that a shipment is due tomorrow but not sure if this is issue 2 & 3 or 4 & 5 now. Guess I'll find out soon...

When I called them up a week or two ago, they told me that even if you subscribe later, they will slowly catch you up with the volumes, by sending out up to 4 at once every two months, instead of just two volumes like those who subscribed in the first month (as such, it will mean paying more each time until you catch up). And if you have been buying them at the newsagent, you can designate which volume you want your subscription to start at (otherwise it starts at the first release by default).

Hopefully it means you still get all the freebies as promised, since they say that they come with the first, second and fourth delivery... no matter how late you sign up.
    I guess they could always claim that they ran out, as I remember that they had the disclaimer of "while stocks last" written somewhere.

Mine finally arrived today, so it must have been a shipping day for everyone... I just don't know why it was more than 21 days as claimed by
    them to be the longest it takes for the first delivery.
    It included three volumes (which other people received three weeks ago.... which was 10 days after I subscribed, so I don't know why I missed that
    shipment), along with the bonus wallet and key rings.

It includes an info letter, and an itemised receipt/invoice... noting that one of the volumes was free, which should be the first one, as it is the
    corrected reprint that the people in the UK got for free as well (it has the corrected spine - yes, they reprinted the entire volume at their expense
    because of half of a centimetre of black box on the top of the spine).

The info letter says what I posted yesterday about them sending extra volumes (and charging you for them), until you catch up... but that's after
    this first shipment.
    It notes that they will be sending out two volumes every four weeks, as some had noted back when they were first being found (I was never really
    sure if it was't a monthly shipment, which would be easier to keep track of).
    This should mean, in four weeks time, I should get 3 or 4 volumes, while people who subscribed before September, would just get 2 volumes next time (as I'm currently 2 volumes behind).

I still wish that they were sending the volumes out in order, in that each pair of volumes every four weeks would have one from the start and one
    from mid-way, so that people still have to stay subscribed to get the entire run of Gen1 or IDW, but allows you to be able to sit down and read
    them from the start without having to wait 3 years to do that. There are some stories contained within a single volume, but with both UK and US
    blended together in order, it really needs to be read (for the first time) from start to finish.

I must say... I'm really happy about having the first of the recoloured UK volumes with Volume 16. The weird thing is that the first few UK Issues
    drawn by Andrew Wildman, was really hard to get used to in colour, despite me preferring his art on the US issues. But I really liked the Dan
    Reed issues after that... his art really needed the colour, and it is beautiful.
    The thing I am most looking forward to is finally seeing some non-toy characters in colour for the first time, to see what they really look like
    after all of this time.

Forgive my ignorance, but as a newbie to the comics I'd like to know exactly how the UK and US issues work together? Seems there were "fill in" stories in between the main US stories? Or something along those lines...

Initially they (UK) were fill in, but they developed into their own continuity parts of which got reworked in into the US. They contained some AMAZING stories, painted artwork, and storylines the US never got. That's why even 30 odd years later they stand up so well. Furman didn't talk down to the audience (kids) and so they're remarkable stories even when reading as adults.

My shipment arrived today, along with the beautiful tin plate of TF#50.
    They also included an apology letter, saying they will be resenting free of charge a copy of issue 1 (due to the printing error) and will be sent around issue 7.

My only complaint is that these are printed smaller than the UK comics which were magazine sized. Some of the artwork looks better at that resolution. But the bonus (and why I am buying) is they won't be yellowed with age, and some of the UK exclusive b&w issues will FINALLY be printed in colour.
    Last edited by reillyd; 10th October 2017 at 11:44 PM.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!