Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Paint and airbrushing tips and advice

DD's Airbrushing Tip o' the Day:

Okay, so here's the scenario. You've taped up the painted area's of your Transformer you don't want to be sprayed a certain colour. You spray the new colour after which you then remove the tape. Oh Noes!, you then discover some of the paint has seeped through onto the area's that were masked. If this happens and the paint that was taped is of a lighter colour than the new shade of paint, this can be a real PITA to fix (especially if using acrylics).

My answer?

1. Wait 1 (preferably 2) days for the new paint to properly dry
    2. Tape around the area that's been 'graffitied'
    3. Veeery gently sand the graffitied area using 1000grit sandpaper (you don't want to sand the primer off!).
    4. Dust off the area using your airbrush (use high psi) or eyeshadow makeup brush
    5. Respray the area

Done!

That's a good tip. If the overspray is light you can polish the marks out too.

Another tip for ya, bots or 'Learn from DD's stupid mistakes' if you prefer.

Earlier this evening I was doing a bit more work on my Custom Guzzle and accidentally managed to clog up some of the visor detail by spraying too heavily. I instantly panicked and stupidly tried to rub off the paint before it solidified. Of course this made things considerably worse and left me about ready to cry to be honest. At this point I wasn't in the right state of mind to continue working so I went away and blasted some music (as you do) while I tried to think of a solution.

I later went back to my workstation and looked at all of my cleaning type products. One option seemed more logical that others, that being the stuff I use to clean my airbrush, Windex. So I'm thinking, well I've $%&#ed it this badly, what's the worst it can do? So I get a cotton bud, dip it in Windex then rub it over the affected area. My god. Like a purifying ray of light from the skies above, the Windex miraculously takes away all the paint bar the motherflipping primer. Words cannot describe the sheer elation I'm feeling at this stage. He's saved! Praaaaaise the lord!

Does anyone know what you'd do if using enamels? I imagine it would be way harder to get off but if someone knows I'd love to know (as I'm sure other do).

Simple Green will take off enamels and I think acrylics too but won't shift lacquers. Putting the parts in a bath of the stuff overnight will usually be enough.

Smile

Does anyone want to paint up a couple of g1's for me? I'd kindly pay you for the job.

Thread necromancy!! For any budding customisers out there, especially those wanting to try out airbrushing, the latest Aldi catalogue has a air compressor, regulator, hose and 2 basic gravity feed dual action airbrushes for $99. Pretty good value, especially to learn with. Page 8 of the current catalogue, for sale Saturday 18th of July.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    Thread necromancy!! For any budding customisers out there, especially those wanting to try out airbrushing, the latest Aldi catalogue has a air compressor, regulator, hose and 2 basic gravity feed dual action airbrushes for $99. Pretty good value, especially to learn with. Page 8 of the current catalogue, for sale Saturday 18th of July.
    That's pretty attractive. I might consider it, thanks for the heads up.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

I was given a couple of old Star Wars models by a mate. Every time I tried to paint them it would not stay on. I have been advised an airbrush is the best option.

I like making dioramas and toys out of pine for the kids as well.

I suppose I am wondering what is a good set up for a beginner? I have seen kits on Ebay but am not really sure where to start.
    A guy at a hobby shop recommended one where you could adjust a pin to make it not spray as much paint as well.
    Also I want to know if I can use it to paint the stuff I make the kids out of pine. It is stuff like a monster truck track and jumps for My Little Ponies.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thurmus View Post
    I was given a couple of old Star Wars models by a mate. Every time I tried to paint them it would not stay on. I have been advised an airbrush is the best option.

I like making dioramas and toys out of pine for the kids as well.

I suppose I am wondering what is a good set up for a beginner? I have seen kits on Ebay but am not really sure where to start.
    A guy at a hobby shop recommended one where you could adjust a pin to make it not spray as much paint as well.
    Also I want to know if I can use it to paint the stuff I make the kids out of pine. It is stuff like a monster truck track and jumps for My Little Ponies.

Thanks
    I love my airbrush. Once you go down the airbrush path, you'll never look back.

There was a great deal at ALDI (couple of posts back) in July, you might get lucky with stock at your local. Personally, I'd suggest a dual action gravity feed. They're not difficult to learn how to use, but it does take practice and a lot of trial and error to get really good results.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

When the deal was on at Aldi I checked eBay and there were a lot of units on there that appeared similar if not slightly better delivered for about the same amount so there are definitely other options out there for cheap systems.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)