Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121727 ... LastLast

Thread: Maz's Articles & Reviews

Maz is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Default Opening a $1000 Toy

No, this did not cost me a thousand dollars, but some collectors out there will have shelled out close to that for the 2007 Binaltech Wonderfest exclusive BT-17 Black Convoy. I traded for mine, so it worked out extremely reasonable, and contributed to my decision to go ahead and open it. Why would anyone hesitate to open theirs, regardless of price? For a start, the packaging is rubbish, and one of those that can never be restored to its original untouched appearance, and having paid what most people do (seen em go for $700 recently), collectors will not want to destroy that high value and take a big hit in years to come should they sell. But this is me we're talking about, and I have been waiting for this opportunity for 7 years since I sold my own sealed specimen after BotCon 2007. So, please join me for my unsealing, un-boxing and liberating of a MISB Takara Binaltech BT-17 Dark Commander Black Convoy.

Square One: Opening a $1000 toy - BT-17 Black Convoy <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Opened is opened... but seriously you could have just sliced the sides of the bubble at one end and simply slid him out (and back in again)!

Quote Originally Posted by Maz View Post
    No, this did not cost me a thousand dollars, but some collectors out there will have shelled out close to that for the 2007 Binaltech Wonderfest exclusive BT-17 Black Convoy. I traded for mine, so it worked out extremely reasonable, and contributed to my decision to go ahead and open it. Why would anyone hesitate to open theirs, regardless of price? For a start, the packaging is rubbish, and one of those that can never be restored to its original untouched appearance, and having paid what most people do (seen em go for $700 recently), collectors will not want to destroy that high value and take a big hit in years to come should they sell. But this is me we're talking about, and I have been waiting for this opportunity for 7 years since I sold my own sealed specimen after BotCon 2007. So, please join me for my unsealing, un-boxing and liberating of a MISB Takara Binaltech BT-17 Dark Commander Black Convoy.

Square One: Opening a $1000 toy - BT-17 Black Convoy <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz
    I think that's awesome that you opened that. You are a TRUE TF collector for doing so and not just a toy investor.

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    Opened is opened... but seriously you could have just sliced the sides of the bubble at one end and simply slid him out (and back in again)!
    Well as I said, the rear side which is the only one I could open the way you've described already had two significant cuts and piercings in it along the edge, so it would have been a most untidy situation had I done that, and plus I did not want to further affect the integrity of the bubble, I just felt it was more important for display to preserve that than the printed text on the sides of the package that would never be visible on display.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Metro View Post
    I think that's awesome that you opened that. You are a TRUE TF collector for doing so and not just a toy investor.
    Cheers mate, yeah BT-17 didn't stand a chance with me. I enjoyed all my other BTs far too much to let it sit in its prison All the better that I got one with a damaged package.

Quote Originally Posted by MayzaPrime View Post
    Great article Maz

I totally agree with your points. I was also one of the lucky ones to get a near perfect figure.

My only complaint (which you have mentioned) is the ability for Scoria to hold his weapons.

I pre-ordered Scoria as soon as it was available, and I was concerned with some of the QC problems others were reporting (mine was sent late for some reason) so I held off getting Soar. That all changed once I opened Scoria, I will be getting the entire line. It might sound lame but I have only had 2 figures that have taken my breath away when I have opened them, Scoria was one of those figures.

I was already on the Fans Toys bandwagon after Quakewave, I am well and truly at the front of the wagon after Scoria.
    My feelings exactly, thanks for the kind words!

All the best
    Maz

Default Binaltech BT-17 to BT-18

Every line of Transformers has its toughies and special releases that create a headache for anyone hoping to complete the run, Takara’s Binaltech Transformers are no exception. In fact, it’s taken me a whole year and 2 months to address the sixth chapter of this article series that started all the way back with Binaltech BT-01 to BT-04. The main reason for that was the acquisition, price and rarity of 2007′s Wonderfest exclusive BT-17 Black Convoy. Once that was in hand and opened, alongside the e-Hobby exclusive BT-18 Rijie Electro Disrupter, we have Binaltech royalty, the exclusive cherries that top one of the best and most loved TF lines in history.

Binaltech BT-17 to BT-18 | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

Previous chapters:

Binaltech BT-01 to BT-04 | Source Blog
    Binaltech BT-05 to BT-08 | Source Blog
    Binaltech BT-09 to BT-12 | Source Blog
    Binaltech BT-13 to BT-16 | Source Blog
    Binaltech: Asterisk BTA-01 to BTA-03 | Source Blog

All the best
    Maz

Default Diaclone Change Attacar Oneboxcar Vanette (Van)

Diaclone Change Attackers, or "Change Attacars", have become pretty well known in the last few years, much moreso than before in my opinion. Originally released for the Japanese Diaclone line as pull-back flip-changers with a vehicle mode and attack mode only, they were then licensed to Ceji Joustra in Europe in 1984 for the "Diaclone" line there, and when Ceji Joustra sold up their rights to Takara moulds to Hasbro Bradley in 1985, those toys were taken off them by GiG in Italy for the "Trasformer" line where they were re-branded "Destroy Car". There were even Arabic carded versions of these toys released in the Middle East. We take a look at probably the most common mould, the Oneboxcar Vanette or Van, the same vehicle that was used as the base for Diaclone/TF Ironhide.

Square One: Diaclone "Change Attacar" Oneboxcar Vanette (Van) <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Default Collector Interview 27 - Jim Sorenson

Jim Sorenson is a known entity, but his collection isn’t! This month we take a look at the collecting habits and treasures of a man who has brought behind the scenes treasures to the rest of us in an official capacity through his work on the Transformers Animated Allspark Almanacs, Transformers The Ark, The Art of Prime, as well as the upcoming Transformers Legacy book that will feature tonnes of seen and unseen Transformers production artwork in one amazing volume. It is always fascinating to hear the stories of a collector who never really stopped being a fan or collector of Transformers, someone who was purchasing his first Grand Maximus when I was just realising that a G1 Sharkticon toy was made…

Collector Interview 27 – Jim Sorenson | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Another great article Maz, Jim seems like a pretty cool bloke.

Very jealous of the cheap purchase of Grand Maximus

Default Filling Unknown Gaps

Focus is important in collecting, or so I said for 2 years of writing this column. I was wrong, I’m giving up only buying Diaclones, or only buying Animated, or only buying Masterpiece. It’s become very clear that I’ve missed out on far too much by collecting in a myopic fashion. Every time someone’s forced me to look at a Transformers toy, concept or line I had previously resisted or ignored, the results have been predictable, they were right. No more shunning of a brilliant Generations or Prime figure for the 12th variation of a toy I already have. There’s a new focus, cool Transformers.

Filling Unknown Gaps | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Default One thing leads to another

I toyed with calling this article “Suck it and see”, as anyone who has been following this blog and my own writing at Square One recently will know that I’ve branched out a bit and continued saying ”yes” to recommendations of fellow collectors instead of staying glued to my own path or focus. Whether it’s because someone placed a toy in my hands and dared me to hate it, or something I have bought or was gifted for my daughter, or just another offshoot of my main collecting interest right now, all those items have had a significant influence on my buying, and these are the results.

One Thing Leads To Another | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz