Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst ... 23456789101525 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun-Formers (imitation weapons) laws and requirements for Australia

Should this thread go into "The Matrix" section of the boards?
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

Eventually.

Forgot to post in here when I first joined. I got my import permit relatively easy from the WA Police. Had a good chat to the officer as well. Valid for 6 months. I got my Megatron without it though.

A couple of things from this week could see a change in weapons laws in Australia.

A 24 year old man brandished a imitation gun in the Townsville army base (probably the stupidest place to wave around a gun of any sort, and was lucky to not be shot by security... but replica/imitation weapons are on the news at the moment, at a time when Federal gun laws are being reviewed.

Legislation could be entered into federal parliament soon to have a mandatory 5 year jail term for people caught smuggling "weapons" into Australia.
    It might be aimed at real weapons, but if they don't include a paragraph to differentiate imitation weapons from real ones, any new penalties or import requirements could apply to imitation weapons like Megatron.
    We'll just have to wait and see what the legislation has in it, or if it makes it through both houses of parliament.

If the law is worded as weapon then it covers more than just firearms. It will most likely be worded as firearm, and if it includes imitation/replica firearm then that will need to be specified.
    I think if the federal Government is making this law and it applies to the importation of imitation/replica firearms then for the states they might have to (if it applies) issue importation licenses for imitation firearms, then from there the local state laws may/should apply.
    Importation and ownership laws are two different things.

I am speculating here and only time will tell.
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

Another person arrested for carrying a replica/imitation handgun in a public place... and it was in the Sydney CBD at Martin Place. (he was later charged with other offences that included robberies, but it doesn't say if the replica weapon was used for them)

The more people found with these in public, the tighter future laws will be for us who respect the law enough to keep them at home.

Another day, another replica handgun causing chaos in public. This time a teenager taking one to his highschool... which if it was America, he'd be lucky to not be shot in fear of him about to commit another schoolyard massacre.

There's always a small handful of people who spoil things for the majority of the population who are responsible. Sadly, these kind of stories cause knee-jerk reactions in politics and before you know it a poor transformers collector is unable to import a G1 Megatron figure into the country.

Let's hope common sense prevails and the handful of stoopid replica firearm owners who use their fake weapons to threaten people are treated accordingly.

Hi Griffin,
    just had a read through of this topic and I think you are pretty much nailing all the relevant points. Basically when it comes to criminal law an innocent person needs to focus on two things:

A) "in good faith"

In other words, get all your documentation sorted out before hand, each item held at customs will be assigned to the particular person that seized it and they WILL get constant reminders to clear storage.
    Not doing your homework makes life harder for someone else, who in turn may just decide to make life harder for you.
    You are much less likely to be prosecuted for something if you can prove you acted "in good faith" that you had done all you could.

B) "Intention of law"

The law is prosecuted to the intent of what the court "interprets" as the intention of the law as it was drafted.
    For instance there is an extra penalty in SA if you are found selling drugs within 500m of a school. If this were to make it to court and it was discovered that all deals were made at 2am within a private building, the magistrate may decide (highly likely) that this was not the intent of the law, which is to protect schoolkids, and dismiss those extra charges.
    So anyone who was found with one of these items, so long as they weren't being an idiot should be fine.

By and large the people that will deal with these items are border protection and state firearms branches.
    If you have a normal patrol officer see one in your house, he will see a mountain of paperwork for a toy, he may notify firearms branch or at worst seize it whilst inquiries are made (If he has the authority) but both of those situations are unlikely unless you are the type of person who shouldn't have one in the first place.

In terms of QLD PF response, I'm not surprised at that response, firearms laws are liquid at the moment and hopefully one day it will come under a federal regulation instead, which will significantly help people moving interstate, cattle droving etc. (And toy collecting). Most cops will steer clear of getting tied up with it, which is likely how Firearms sections want it and training may instigate a few heroes to go searching.

Police deal with between 1-2% of the public 90% of the time, if that's not you you're golden

Well done on a comprehensive datasheet on a muddy topic.

Sunny is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

Default Brining in Projectile toys (like nerf)

Hi Griffin,

Im not sure if there is a related thread on this, seems like the the right place to ask.
    Im located in QLD and planning on importing a plastic toy gun (blue and yellow colored plastic 1911) but not sure how to go about applying for the permit.
    Reason being is that the toy gun shoots a small rubber bullet, similar to a nerf gun, but only around 10ft.
    Would this make it exempt from being a replica, as according to QLD weapons licencing definition, a replica weapon cannot discharge a projectile.
    (https://www.police.qld.gov.au/progra...s/replicas.htm)

Ive contacted customs showing them an image of the toy gun and they said it would likely require a B709A permit.

Appreciate your help,

Cheers,
    Sunny