Thread: Masterpiece Movie Optimus MPM-4

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Masterpiece Movie Optimus MPM-4

The rumoured second Movie Masterpiece toy (numbered as 4, despite 1 & 2 being Japanese toys), is Optimus Prime (which many people knew already)... and it has finally been officially shown off today in China by Hasbro.

Oddly enough, it is not the TF4-5 Optimus version (the new truck form), but the TF1-3 Optimus version.

It does note it being the 10th anniversary of the Movie series, so having the original form is applicable... but it looks a lot like the Leader/Striker Optimus toy, and might put off a lot of people who might have been expecting, and willing to pay a "masterpiece" price for a kibble-less leader sized TF4-5 Optimus toy.

Last edited by griffin; 28th April 2017 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    It does note it being the 10th anniversary of the Movie series, so having the original form is applicable... but it looks a lot like the Leader/Striker Optimus toy, and might put off a lot of people who might have been expecting, and willing to pay a "masterpiece" price for a kibble-less leader sized TF4-5 Optimus toy.
    Not me! The first Prime design is better with all the truck parts visible... and it's not like they won't do the TF4-5 version some time later

I also am strangly interested in this

Following the unveiling of this toy to a public event in China (sounds like it was one of those midnight toy launches), Hasbro have released official images and a press release to go with the first look at the toy.
    Unwatermarked images can be seen here.

This year marks the 10th anniversary of Paramount and Michael Bay’s first Transformers blockbuster movie. We’re celebrating this milestone with the release of the OPTIMUS PRIME MPM-4 figure which is inspired by the iconic OPTIMUS PRIME character in the original 2007 TRANSFORMERS film. Co-created by Hasbro and Tomy, the figure converts from robot to classic truck mode and features eye-catching detail, articulated fingers and an interchangeable mask – perfect for fans and collectors alike.
    TRANSFORMERS MASTERPIECE MOVIE SERIES OPTIMUS PRIME MPM-4 Figure
    (Ages 8 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $99.99/Available: Summer 2017)
    Get in the action with the latest figure from the MASTERPIECE MOVIE SERIES, the OPTIMUS PRIME MPM-4 figure! Co-created by Hasbro and Tomy, the figure is inspired by the iconic OPTIMUS PRIME character in the original 2007 TRANSFORMERS film and celebrates the 10th anniversary of the TRANSFORMERS movie franchise. Pay homage to the great AUTOBOT leader with all the detail you expect from a MASTERPIECE product, including die cast parts! The OPTIMUS PRIME MPM-4 figure converts from robot to classic truck mode and showcases Earth’s greatest protector with eye-catching detail, articulated fingers and an interchangeable mask – perfect for fans and collectors alike. The sleek, signature flame design is emblematic of his inextinguishable drive to fight for freedom. Converts in 43 steps and comes with a Matrix of Leadership accessory and other exciting weapon accessories.

Also interested, but considering I own 4 versions of the ROTF leader mold I'd need to see what was actually different between them.

The official pics make his torso look rather round, perhaps it's just the angle. Paint aps look great though! I only own the first version of ROTF Leader Prime so the paint alone is enough to seal the deal for me.

Although TFW's front page claims it's an all new mould, it looks to be a heavy remold of the RotF Leader figure.

-face plate gimmick
    -articulated fingers
    -toolboxes on the legs are now tucked away (the original design did include this step but it was omitted on the final production)
    -new forearm armors
    -a waist joint due to the omission of sound gimmick
    -various small remould throughout

I didn't think the changes to the RotF mold would be significant enough for me to justify a purchase but I sit corrected.

Now to wait for an MPM AoE/TLK version. The new Voyager mold gives me hope that it is indeed possible to recreate the design in plastic form. A Masterpiece figure based on knight design will be glorious.

I'm definitely curious as to what this figure does differently to the RotF leader class mould, which was regarded as having Masterpiece-level engineering itself. So far it seems that the truck headlights on the lower torso are the actual truck headlights, not faux items like the ones on the previous mould, and the panels on the back seem to fold differently.

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I'm definitely curious as to what this figure does differently to the RotF leader class mould, which was regarded as having Masterpiece-level engineering itself. So far it seems that the truck headlights on the lower torso are the actual truck headlights, not faux items like the ones on the previous mould, and the panels on the back seem to fold differently.
    Well the gun and swords can combine into...a gun turret that clips into the rear of the truck.