Page 444 of 481 FirstFirst ... 424434439440441442443444445446447448449454464 ... LastLast
Results 4,431 to 4,440 of 4804

Thread: I need to vent!

Quote Originally Posted by canofwhoopass_87 View Post
    I tried selling a few transformer items on Gumtree recently - I know exactly how you feel. It's a haven for low ballers, dummies, deadbeats, no-shows.

"$100 for this listing? Can I offer $20 cash?"
    Oh gawd don't get me started on Gumtree. Are you on the TCCA Buy/trade/sell Facebook page? My recent experience there has been pretty good.

I actually like Gumtree. Sold a few things from there and one of them I thought would never sell due to oddity (Early Samsung TV 3D Glasses). Bought a few things from there too no problems.

However I have encountered the absolute opposite to low balling which is actually fairly common in the Sydney second hand market - Some dude trying to sell a 2nd hand item (regular, not collector worthy and common) at either at a retail cost or just a couple of bucks off. When you point it out, they refuse to shave off anything off and if they do, is only a couple of bucks.

What's low balling? (sounds like a sports move)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    What's low balling? (sounds like a sports move)
    Basically exactly like the example "$100 for this listing? Can I offer $20 cash?", you put a reasonable price and the low baller makes an "offer" of something extremely low.
    Happens all the time with Gumtree, no matter what you list for sale and how reasonable your price is you will nearly always get some idiot that thinks $5 is a good offer on your $100 item.
    Think of it like someone selling a brand new MISB TR Trypticon for $100 and then getting constant "offers" of $5 and you'll see why lowballers get to be annoying to genuine sellers.
    Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    However I have encountered the absolute opposite to low balling which is actually fairly common in the Sydney second hand market - Some dude trying to sell a 2nd hand item (regular, not collector worthy and common) at either at a retail cost or just a couple of bucks off. When you point it out, they refuse to shave off anything off and if they do, is only a couple of bucks.
    The arguments I've heard scalpers make to try and justify their prices can be quite laughable.
    "Oh this is no longer in stores so that automatically doubles the price, it doesnt matter that it didnt sell back then and I got it for 5 cents, the fact that it's no longer sold now and that you want it means it's rare and rare = valuable"
    Don't even get me started on the ones that buy every copy of an item that they can to artificially make it "rare" and "hard to find" just so they can inflate the prices, absolute scum of the earth and one of the reasons I never got a nes mini and why my mate missed out on ordering a snes mini, because neither of us will pay some jerk $500 for an item that's barely worth the $100 RRP.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHyren View Post
    The arguments I've heard scalpers make to try and justify their prices can be quite laughable.
    "Oh this is no longer in stores so that automatically doubles the price, it doesnt matter that it didnt sell back then and I got it for 5 cents, the fact that it's no longer sold now and that you want it means it's rare and rare = valuable"
    Don't even get me started on the ones that buy every copy of an item that they can to artificially make it "rare" and "hard to find" just so they can inflate the prices, absolute scum of the earth and one of the reasons I never got a nes mini and why my mate missed out on ordering a snes mini, because neither of us will pay some jerk $500 for an item that's barely worth the $100 RRP.
    Actually what I encounter is not so much scalpers, just clueless people who don't understand what a 2nd hand market is. It is common in Sydney and why pawn shops and general 2nd hand stores are usually so terrible here. You will have say a person selling a 2nd hand item at a cost that is too close to retail value (and often above it) which you can still get brand new in store. When you explain that to them, they will not budge or shave off only a small percent like $5 out of $100 item for example.

The item will then sit with them for months and months without moving until one day some poor idiot will walk in and actually buy it and justify their cost. That's what happens.

Here we have very poor business practices from both sellers and buyers. There is no understanding on how 2nd hand items should be priced or refuse reasonable offers. Yet they can always count on some zap eventually showing up who is just as clueless and ends up buying it anyways. Vicious cycle and why we tend to suck so hard in Sydney when it comes to secondary collector markets and why overseas seem like paradises.

Quote Originally Posted by canofwhoopass_87 View Post
    I tried selling a few transformer items on Gumtree recently - I know exactly how you feel. It's a haven for low ballers, dummies, deadbeats, no-shows.

"$100 for this listing? Can I offer $20 cash?"
    Gumtree is horrible, facebook is a little better but still plenty of people who never followup. I just give my spare G1 toys and merch to to son now rather than selling, hes got a decent collection of about 15 bots and handful of books, a wrist radio that hes calls his gizmo and that magnus voice changer that somehow always ends up outside

Basically exactly like the example "$100 for this listing? Can I offer $20 cash?", you put a reasonable price and the low baller makes an "offer" of something extremely low.
    Guh... how stupid. If you think that a price isn't worth it, then don't even bother making an offer. Happens a lot with real estate! When we were house hunting we saw a lot of really nice places that were massively overpriced so we wouldn't even bother contacting the agent about it. And when selling our agent said that he received offers so far below our asking price that he wouldn't even bother telling us what they were. Basically agents won't even contact the property owner if your offer is well below what they're expecting to sell for.

It's common sense, isn't it? If someone wants to sell something for a certain price then they're looking at something close to it. Why waste your time making an offer that's so far below what they want? You know that the answer is going to be no. We know that housing is overpriced and sure, you could make low offers that are closer to what these properties are actually worth. But the seller is NOT going to accept that offer, so why bother?!?

If I were selling a toy and someone made a ridiculously low offer, I reckon that I wouldn't even bother replying. If people think that the price is too high then just move on!

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Actually what I encounter is not so much scalpers, just clueless people who don't understand what a 2nd hand market is
    Oh yeah I've come across that as well, people that think that somehow their item is worth the same as they paid for it even though the dog has eaten it. Definitely as much stupidity going on in the second hand market as scalping.
    Still I do come across the opposite sometimes, people that think their item is worthless because it's "used" and "old" and charge too little, if I'm buying and I have the money spare I will generally offer a little more, cause I reckon they deserve it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    It's common sense, isn't it?
    As my mother always used to say "Common sense aint so common". You'd think they would know that people would laugh in their faces at their low ball offers but some of them genuinely think they are making a good offer because "reasons".

Oh yeah I've come across that as well, people that think that somehow their item is worth the same as they paid for it even though the dog has eaten it. Definitely as much stupidity going on in the second hand market as scalping.
    Still I do come across the opposite sometimes, people that think their item is worthless because it's "used" and "old" and charge too little, if I'm buying and I have the money spare I will generally offer a little more, cause I reckon they deserve it.
    Yeah I tend to do similar. However most of the time I have encountered that, they are not fussed and just want to get rid of the item ASAP.

Someone hit my car at work. There are plenty of evidence showing that was the 4WD parking always near me. My car is always clean with tyre black usually so why there is dirt at the tyre and damged bumper area

...and well no one cares when I reported it (sigh...)