Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 919242526272829303132333439 ... LastLast

Thread: Currency rates (added every week or two).

A weakness in the US economy this week from some poor market numbers, plus our Federal Budget aiming to stimulate the Small Business portion of the economy, has led to another US 2c to our AU$... now up to 81 US cents.
    April 15th it dropped to just below 76 US cents... so a gain of 5 cents in the last month is pretty good.

Aaaaand, back down to 76 US cents just a couple weeks later... just in time for the expensive BotCon registration.

It was such a tease (if only FunPub knew what they were doing, we could have saved 5% if they had it up two weeks ago).

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Aaaaand, back down to 76 US cents just a couple weeks later... just in time for the expensive BotCon registration.

It was such a tease (if only FunPub knew what they were doing, we could have saved 5% if they had it up two weeks ago).
    FunPub should have their license taken away.

As of today, according to xe.com, these are the current rates for AU$1...

- US$ - 0.7385 (a massive fall after getting close to 80c two months ago, and likely to fall further in coming months)
    - GB£ - 0.4724 (also a large drop)
    - JP¥ - 91.403 (very little change in 4 months, as the yen seems to be vulnerable to global financial turmoil like the AU$)
    - EU€ - 0.6754 (down a lot, despite the Greek troubles that should be weakening the currency)
    - NZ$ - 1.1303 (a huge gain after the NZ$ was within striking distance of parity earlier in the year... it seems to be the one currency doing worse than ours)

(bank and paypal rates are 2-3% less than the figures above)

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    - NZ$ - 1.1303 (a huge gain after the NZ$ was within striking distance of parity earlier in the year... it seems to be the one currency doing worse than ours)
    Sigh!

I feel bad for you, but at least for as long as I can remember the NZ$ has always been 10-20% worse than the AU$, particularly to the US$, so shouldn't be something you haven't been used to for most of the time collecting Transformers.
    It was just very unusual to see it get close to parity to our currency about 6 months ago, as it was probably pretty exciting... like us getting to US parity. (it was sweet, but short-lived )

The AU$ has fallen another US cent in the last few days, to be about 72.7 cents... from weakness in China and a falling Gold price (lowest in 5 years).
    (then take off another couple of cents for the actual rate from banks and paypal)

That's the lowest it's been since 2004, when it was on its way up from the record low of 49 US cents in 2001.

Very bad time for overseas travel.

China devalued their currency overnight, causing our own dollar to drop to 73US cents

Why China couldn't have waited an extra 24 hours so many of us could get our TFSS orders in I do not know

It's a sad sign of the times that I got excited when Commbank raised the US exchange rate from 69c to 71c for a little while the other day. Back down to 69c again.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.