Thread: Question for tech-heads - need to upgrade my phone, do it now or wait?

Default Question for tech-heads - need to upgrade my phone, do it now or wait?

Hi all, hope you're all doing well.

Question for the more technologically-interested than me here (i.e. almost everyone).

I moved to Hong Kong relatively recently and my old Galaxy S5 just isn't cutting it anymore. Literally can't run a whole bunch of common apps et. So at some point I (reluctantly) need to upgrade. It's not urgent but Ol' Faithful is struggling and will have to be put out to pasture sooner or later.

I'm not an Apple fan, so probably looking at another Galaxy or similar. Ideally I'd like to get one I won't have to replace for a while. And also one I can get one of these for, which seems to rule out the more affordable A series...

My question is: pretty much all of the phones out now were designed before ChatGPT really became a thing. That seems like it's going to be a pretty big deal, so I'm wondering is it better to wait another year or so then see if future models are better designed for ChatGPT etc., or just bite the bullet now and try and get something decent to last the next few years? Or alternately just wait another year anyway and see what happens to prices for more recent phones?

Would appreciate peoples' thoughts on this.

ChatGPT can't run on a phone. The dataset required is massive and when people have made versions to run on Raspberry Pies and that type of thing it still requires network access to connect to a server. You will for the foreseeable future need to connect to a server running ChatGTP.

Since you have a Samsung S5 I suggest buying a Samsung Galaxy S23 as the S23 is this year's model and has universal Snapdragon SOCs instead of the terrible Exxynos SOCs Samsung has subjected everyone outside the US and China to for years.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

While I use android phones, I have found Samsungs in general to contain too much bloat-ware which detract from the user experience. I got this phone earlier this year and while its not a flag-ship (more high-end mid-ranger), the user experience has been very, very good:

https://au.nothing.tech/pages/phone-1

They are releasing a flag-ship later this year if you want to wait for that but I'm happy with mine.
    If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you

My sales thread: Linky

Hi 5! Samsung S5 crew.

This phone has stopped updating so many web sites/ apps do not work. The new phones apparently only get four years worth of security updates, while costing $1200, wtf!

Why is chatgp so important?

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I've got a Samsung S23 Ultra. I absolutely love it, but I've long been a Samsung fan, so you might be talking to the wrong guy. The only app I've had any issues with is Binge, it keeps crashing, and I don't know if that's my phone or Binge, as I've only just signed up, so I don't want to condemn my phone for it just yet. Otherwise I've had no problems. The camera is fantastic and yeah, I just love the thing. Even Bixby has stopped annoying the heck out of me. It only took what... eight years?
    Looking To Buy Either Siege Or Earthrise Ratchet, and Buzzworthy SS86 ER Cliffjumper.

Cheers all, Old Reliable took its final fall today and the screen died, so that sped things up a bit. S23 Ultra has replaced it, now I just need to set it up and find a nice Soundwave case for it.

Vale old phone, you did well for a long time.