Page 446 of 481 FirstFirst ... 426436441442443444445446447448449450451456466 ... LastLast
Results 4,451 to 4,460 of 4804

Thread: I need to vent!

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Changing to another ISP before the NBN changeover is useless here. Every single port in Gladstone is owned by Telstra so even if I changed to someone good like Aussie Broadband it would still be on a Telstra owned port at the same congested Telstra exchange. Aussie Broadband even said when I called them a couple of months ago there was no point in switching before the NBN. Nobody else ever invested money into landline telecom infrastructure in Gladstone.

I checked the NBN rollout map of Gladstone. Looks like my suburb is the first old suburb to get the NBN and construction has started (I hope they keep to their published timeframe). There are some suburbs that have been built in the last few years that have the NBN already (some even with FTTP), but the vast majority of the population are on Telstra's ADSL infrastructure.

I'm going to give Aussie Broadband a call this week and find out how I can change over to them as soon as my house has the NBN made available.
    I mean when the nbn happens for you. Only reason to be on Telstra is when you have no choice.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

My mate lives in Greenwich, he asked the NBN guys to install into an existing Pit out the front and run the line up the driveway to the house, like all the other lines into their property.

they ran to a pit further down the street, then through the fence (digging up and replacing a section of the concrete sill under it) through the side and back yards all the way around to the back of the house to a point that is going to be hard for him to use.

My apartment isn't due for NBN for at least a few more years and we're near Epping in Sydney. we also have mediocre internet because of all the stuffing around they did with the street junction box a few years ago. we haven't bothered getting a streaming service because I have no confidence that we'll be able to smoothly watch stuff. we struggle with the free view catch-up channels...
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Also, I'm just about to lodge a complaint with my ISP because I'm on a 100/40 service and I've been doing speed tests every day for over a week and haven't gone above 10Mbps down and 5Mbps up.

I have fibre to the premesis and can't stream Netflix some nights

They've obviously throttled my speed because 12 months ago speed tests were coming back at 96Mbps down and 32 up.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

that's still more than three times down/6 times up what I'm getting on ADSL2+ atm... going to have a look at the wiring here and then go to my ISP

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    In all seriousness, if you're listed as March for NBN being switched on, then don't expect it before June. Every single roll out area in Wollongong was at least 3 months behind the date given by NBN.

Every. Single. One.
    So December 2019 for me. Great

In the last 2-3 weeks I have seen my Optus cable connection go from a steady 20-25mbps to just 5mbps or so during peak time with only very late night watchable on a work day.

My guess is that I was one of the early adopters of cable internet in my area so had a good run. However as the NBN has been indefinitely pushed back with no solid date, more people have signed up to cable. Naturally like all infrastructure in Australia, it is not enough to sustain the population needs so it gets bogged down in peak hours.

Australia, specially NSW is basically a first world country with third world infrastructure. Crap roads, crap telecommunications, crap public transport, housing, etc.

Public transport is getting better, trains have a new timetable voming you see. It's gonna make it a whole lot better with more trains and more services. A dawn of a new age of trains

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    Public transport is getting better, trains have a new timetable voming you see. It's gonna make it a whole lot better with more trains and more services. A dawn of a new age of trains
    I wish I could be optimistic on that. We have a fixed rail system with very little room for improvement. For example, how many trains can you put in a single 'one file' line? We are not like other countries in which the rail network looks like a spider web with a lot of room for improvement, ours is just elongated branches coming out a centre.

When it comes to the Illawara line for example. If I want to get to the Sutherland shire, on average is an hour trip yet we re geographically not far fro the city. However there are so many stops on the way that makes the trip long. On top of that, since it is one line each way (as most of our rail lines are), there are ony so many trains you can have on it. That makes it difficult to envision a proper solution since our rail network had such little foresight in its design for growth.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    In the last 2-3 weeks I have seen my Optus cable connection go from a steady 20-25mbps to just 5mbps or so during peak time with only very late night watchable on a work day.

My guess is that I was one of the early adopters of cable internet in my area so had a good run. However as the NBN has been indefinitely pushed back with no solid date, more people have signed up to cable. Naturally like all infrastructure in Australia, it is not enough to sustain the population needs so it gets bogged down in peak hours.

Australia, specially NSW is basically a first world country with third world infrastructure. Crap roads, crap telecommunications, crap public transport, housing, etc.
    Yeah same mate. I was getting 80mbps regularly until last year and now is is down to under 5mbps some nights which means netlfix doesn't work properly. Optus has said there are no plans to upgrade area or fix congestion. Absolute BS that they can just sink more people into the same product and charge the same rate.

Shits me that Optus is the only ISP I can use in my street...

Sorry Kup, I was being sarcastic. It's hard without the proper emojis. I think the new timetable will not work well putting it lightly

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    In all seriousness, if you're listed as March for NBN being switched on, then don't expect it before June. Every single roll out area in Wollongong was at least 3 months behind the date given by NBN.

Every. Single. One.
    My understanding from talking to people at the ISP's dealing with the NBN is some contractors in some regions are ahead of time but many others are behind and it really depends on your region and who NBN Co hired. Since the connection date has been recently moved up from June to March I'm hopeful whoever is doing the job here is one of the good ones. That said if this weather we are having keeps up it will delay it.