Thread: Toy Review - Prime Wars Repugnus

Default Toy Review - Prime Wars Repugnus

REPUGNUS
    Series – Prime Wars Trilogy: Titans Return
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - Retool of Titans Return Twinferno
    Wave - N/A
    Released here – No
    Approximate Retail Price - US$35 (approx. AU$50)
    Approximate Size - 13.5cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode – Arthropod-like monster
    Main Features/Gimmicks – Headmaster
    Main Colours – yellow, red, maroon
    Main Accessories – 2 swords, "Dastard" Titan Master, "Solus Prime" Titan Master

So many neat things about this retool, and really amazing how they've managed to tool 3 quite different G1 figures out of the one initial toy, just like Misfire/Triggerhappy/Slugslinger.

I like the standalone $9.99 head heaps more, the standard one seems very, very bland - so much so, that I swapped the faces/bodies on the titan masters around so that the titan master still has the same 'beast' stylings as Twinferno and Grotusque's little 'battle beast' guys.

I also really like how he has one of the few genuinely cool 'combined' weapons from the TR deluxes, making a sweet forearm weapon. The majority of TR's deluxe weapons were completely munted by attempting to make weird seats for titans and arbitrary (unusable) combined forms, leaving the separated guns very hollow and weird.

The one weak bit for me is the continued use of the hairy best legs - it looked out of place on Twinferno, it looked out of place on Grotusque, and it doesn't look any better here. Minor quibble though - I think we should all take a moment to appreciate that we even got updated versions of the Monsterbots. Still hope for some of the more bizzare tail-end characters of G1, like the Seacons...

I dont like the bland robot head. Needs more paint

I love the bland head cos it's so G1 accurate But I admit that it's my own confirmation bias as a G1 fanboy. Objectively speaking I agree that it needs more colour, but Titans Return has been shifting towards more slavish G1 accuracy so it's not surprising. The more cartoon/comic accurate Titans Return Repugnus Headmaster has more colours. I think it's cool that they gave Prime Wars Repugnus a new head, but I agree with what Sutton said about Solus Prime being rather bland. Certainly not as neat as the Scorponok Headmaster that came with Grotusque.

But as Sutton said, the fact that we even have CHUG Monsterbots at all is something that we should definitely all be appreciative of.

I really appreciate that this is one of the lesser spotted beast modes where none of the beast limbs are repurposed as robot limbs.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Grabbed mine today (Thanks Gok!). While the beast body shape isn't really Repugnus; there's enough retool here that this distinctly IS Repugnus.

They nailed the colour blocking & styling.

And to be honest, given how obscure & unique the character is, I'm very happy to have a Generations-line version of the character.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Great toy! I see the re-mould-mates of Twinferno, Grotusque and Repugnus as being the opposing trio of Triggerhappy, Slugslinger and Misfire in the Prime Trilogy.

I’ve swapped over the head with that of Titan Master Repugnus - the wider face and bigger, bolder eyes appeal to me. Lil’ Repugnus makes a neat weapon for the larger one. Dastard can go please himself.

Damned shame this and Grotusque were not made available at broader retail at a more agreeable price.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!