Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No more Encore bashing!!!!

Default No more Encore bashing!!!!

Since Takara has released the Encore line people have been criticizing the quality of the plastic claiming that it is somewhat thinner or less in strength than the originals, Commemmorative series released in 2001-02 or the old book style releases. I personally cant really see/feel the difference so i thought how can i put these claims to the test. I then thought 'how about a simple weight test'. If these reissues are indeed using thinner plastics this would prove somewhat conclusive, wouldnt it?
    I first tested Ratchet. I own the original 84 Ratchet, the Commemmorative Ratchet and the Encore Ratchet and using an accurate and expensive electronic kitchen scale these are the results.

Original Ratchet = 94 grams
    Comm Ratchet = 98 grams
    Encore = 98 grams.

Now Skywarp

Original = 107 grams
    Encore = 114 grams

84 Skywarp wing = 8 grams
    Encore Skywarp wing = 8 grams

All testing was done in the alternate mode with no accessories attached.
    As you can see both the Comm and Encore Ratchet are 4 grams heavier than the original 84 Ratchet. Encore Skywarp is 7 grams heavier than the original and the wings are equal.
    So, in conclusion this is a good result which i feel has somewhat proven that the Encore line is using just as good plastics as what the originals are. Either that or Tak is adding just a touch more metal to the diecast which i feel they would not do as this would obviously be more expensive.

I know that my testing method was not professional blah blah blah but surely this would give some indication on the so called weaker plastic.
    What is everyone's opinion?

take that encore!!! Smack smack!!!!

theres a commemorative Ratchet?

Fantastic tests. It's always better to see facts used to support allegations. We need more of that around here.

Seems like Ratchet and Skywarp need to lay off the Energon Goodies. Maybe it's a little holiday weight?

I was comparing my Hasbro reissue Thundercracker with Encore the other day, the Hasbro reissue one (same as the book reissue one aside from giant missiles) does have a better looking 'shine' on its surface and looks notably nicer when placed side by side. The nosecone is also much better shaped in the Hasbro reissue and more 'solid' and pointier than the Encore one which looks a bit like a rubber condom.

They may be of around the same weight but the Hasbro reissue despite the modifications seems a bit better made than the Encores. The Encores are not bad by any means and are still done very well but I can't say that they are better than past reissues including Hasbro's as far as the look and feel of the plastic/metal goes.
    Last edited by kup; 22nd December 2008 at 10:09 AM.

Subsequent reissues often suffer from a decline in quality due to mould degradation - it's what happens when you re-use the same cast over and over again. Sometimes HasTak will retool moulds to "repair" the degradation, although this is of course costly.

TakaraTOMY recently did this with Encore Jazz. The Jazz reissue mould was made from the G2 Jazz mould. The G2 Jazz mould already had degradation of the mouth (afaik the Classic Jazz reissue (which predates G2) didn't have this). The TFC and Commemorative reissues had further degradation of the mouth, giving Jazz his "sh*t-eating grin". The mould has since been retooled for Encore Jazz so that he no longer has that grin and has a more G1-accurate looking mouth.

And um... yeah... Commemorative Ratchet?! Are you talking about Collector's Edition Ratchet? (the e-Hobby exclusive reissue that came with Ironhide)

(1, 2)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Subsequent reissues often suffer from a decline in quality due to mould degradation - it's what happens when you re-use the same cast over and over again. Sometimes HasTak will retool moulds to "repair" the degradation, although this is of course costly.

TakaraTOMY recently did this with Encore Jazz. The Jazz reissue mould was made from the G2 Jazz mould. The G2 Jazz mould already had degradation of the mouth (afaik the Classic Jazz reissue (which predates G2) didn't have this). The TFC and Commemorative reissues had further degradation of the mouth, giving Jazz his "sh*t-eating grin". The mould has since been retooled for Encore Jazz so that he no longer has that grin and has a more G1-accurate looking mouth.
    To be fair, the issues with the Encore jets are more to do with the type of paint used and a certainly cheaper rubber for the nosecone. I don't think that mold degradation have anything to do with that. However it does account for weight discrepancies that were mentioned by Sideswipe's Brother.

The Jet bodies of the Hasbro reissue releases are much nicer. I even played a game in which with my eyes closed I begun to mix them up randomly. When I opened my eyes I was always able to tell the Hasbro jet body from the Encore because of the much nicer shiny paint and the more 'straight' nosecone.

I imagine the Collector's Edition Seekers would've been nice.. but of course, they're obscenely rare.

I have been happy with the quality of all Encores so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I have been happy with the quality of all Encores so far.
    Yeah that is why I haven't complained about them before this thread, they are still pretty decent and worth getting.