Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: TFs Prime begins Nov 26th in America

I continue dislike the comments on 90's animation - labelling it bad or crappy, as one must take these 90's shows and put it into a factual context.
    The animation is not bad at all because of the fact that at the time, with the knowledge and resources that studios had - what they managed to produce was the best they could've possibly done, therefore, animation in the 90's must be considered nothing but a stepping stone because without it, you simply would not have the pretty pictures that we all enjoy today.

Now...

The below footage:

Quote Originally Posted by Tober View Post
    New footage with much better rendering.
    That Tober kindly sourced, is much more in line with what really should be used to advertise the show.
    I have no idea who, in the marketing department at Hasbro or the Hub, would rubber stamp that other footage as it is clearly Test or Animatic footage.
    Somebody needs their G1 Stampers set taken off them!

I agree that it might be a little too clean, but that seems to be the way most Kids cartoons seem to be going, since they're never outside anyway - they wouldn't know what dirty is , but the animation reminds me of 'Sunny with a Chance of Meatballs'.
    (A great movie by the way, I recommend it Highly )

All in all, the show is looking to be quite interesting.
    I still have reservations about the Artistic Direction, but seeing the short bits that we have - I feel that the Animators abilities to convey the story, which I hope will be good, is well and truly in capable hands.
    My only concern now? - The voice work , listen to Cliffjumper's (Dwane 'The Sell-Out' Johnson) War Cry at the end of the clip, you'll know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    I continue dislike the comments on 90's animation - labelling it bad or crappy, as one must take these 90's shows and put it into a factual context.
    You misunderstand. No one is saying that 1990s animation like Beast Wars or Beast Machines is crappy. It was excellent and ground breaking for it's day but given progression in the industry since, it has become dated.

CGI animation has gone a long way since and by contemporary standards of 'for TV' CGI animation, TF: Prime should look a lot better than a cartoon that was made in the 1990s.

To me when you look at the TF:Prime character models, environments and backgrounds, it's very 'compromised' like a 1990s CGI cartoons used to be. The difference is that back then they had limitation with the technology available for creating such rendering so one even in hindsight can forgive such limitations. However those same 'compromises' should not apply in a modern cartoon using current computers and processing power to create.

To me it looks as if someone made it in the 1990s. In-gameplay animation of several games from 3 years ago look far better

To put my post into factual context (as I can't speak for anyone else), I referenced G2 merely as a comparison between 'then' and 'now'.

The 90's animation was great for it's time, however when comparing it to the animation from the clips we have seen for Transformers: Prime, there doesn't appear to be a great deal of advancement. This is also the case when comparing the animation quality of other CGI shows today.

Hasbro recorded total revenue (FY '09) of US$4.07 billion which is comparable to the estimated net worth of Lucas ($3.25 billion) therefore it's not like they don't have the money to spend on this... I just believe their focus is more on TF3 rather than a cartoon series that they are going to ditch next year anyway.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Hasbro recorded total revenue (FY '09) of US$4.07 billion which is comparable to the estimated net worth of Lucas ($3.25 billion) therefore it's not like they don't have the money to spend on this... I just believe their focus is more on TF3 rather than a cartoon series that they are going to ditch next year anyway.
    George Lucas actually has less hard cash lying around than that. His net worth is just what all of his assets and licenses are worth if he decided to sell the lot to somebody, as I understand. But either way, he would have far greater financial freedom than Hasbro would would to fund any single project, because that money belongs to him. The man funded the Star Wars prequels out of his own pocket so nobody would question him or override his judgment.

By comparison, I don't think that 4.07 billion dollars of revenue is for Hasbro to do as they please.

And just because Animated was cancelled doesn't automatically mean TF Prime will suffer the same fate.
    http://www.tfwiki.net, the Transformers Wiki - Serious intellectual discussion about transforming space robots.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    You misunderstand. No one is saying that 1990s animation like Beast Wars or Beast Machines is crappy. It was excellent and ground breaking for it's day but given progression in the industry since, it has become dated.

CGI animation has gone a long way since and by contemporary standards of 'for TV' CGI animation, TF: Prime should look a lot better than a cartoon that was made in the 1990s.
    Hmm, I may of indeed Kup dude and I agree that CGI Animation has progressed, my word has it progressed! , but I just think that it's taking credit away from 90's CG cartoons (Not just BW & BM) when verbal slips are made like Bad or Crappy.

I dunno, maybe I appreciate too much where things have come from? and that's not just Cartoons.
    (Hell, I was told I was 'old fashioned' when I was 7 )

I agree though that the show could afford to look a little better, but IMO it looks pretty contemporary compared to other CGI cartoons.

I tend to think though that 'The Clone Wars' is an iffy comparison really because whilst Hasbro does have more money than Lucas, which 5FDP details quite well, Lucas has nowhere near the amount of projects on his plate than what Hasbro does and added is the fact that Hasbro must appeal to share holders too.
    (Stupid Money Hungry Shareholders! )

So whilst I agree it could look better, I don't think that the Animation Studio is doing all too badly, but let us not forget Beast Wars as an example in regards to it's 1st season and what it ended up looking like by it's third?

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    To put my post into factual context (as I can't speak for anyone else), I referenced G2 merely as a comparison between 'then' and 'now'.

The 90's animation was great for it's time, however when comparing it to the animation from the clips we have seen for Transformers: Prime, there doesn't appear to be a great deal of advancement. This is also the case when comparing the animation quality of other CGI shows today.
    Please don't think I was trying to single you out dude, or anyone else for that matter, as that wasn't my intention.

As I said above it's probably just me being too sentimental and over appreciating things in the past, hell, if I'd have to choose a deity of worship I'd choose the Egyptian Pantheon!
    (I don't think any one being should have too much power )

I agree that what we have seen so far is a little sub par, but then most of it seems to be Test or Animatic footage - which is completely bewildering as you'd think, like everyone seems to, that Hasbro isn't doing themselves any favours by showing unfinished work? , I mean it's a cartoon not a toy!

Perhaps they're setting the bar so low that when the show actually airs, we'll actually see what they intended all along?

Quote Originally Posted by FFN View Post
    By comparison, I don't think that 4.07 billion dollars of revenue is for Hasbro to do as they please.

And just because Animated was cancelled doesn't automatically mean TF Prime will suffer the same fate.
    I agree with you entirely dude, but you've got to admit that has set an iffy president?

Quote Originally Posted by FFN View Post
    I hope you are right.

Please don't think I was trying to single you out dude, or anyone else for that matter, as that wasn't my intention.
    Not at all dude. The thought didn't even cross my mind which is why I didn't quote you in my response I just wanted to clarify my comments in case someone did take it out of context and thought that I was G2 bashing.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Hmm, I may of indeed Kup dude and I agree that CGI Animation has progressed, my word has it progressed! , but I just think that it's taking credit away from 90's CG cartoons (Not just BW & BM) when verbal slips are made like Bad or Crappy.

I dunno, maybe I appreciate too much where things have come from? and that's not just Cartoons.
    Noone's saying that 90s CG cartoons are crap (well, Voltron 3D was crap, even by the standards of its day <shudder>). It'd be like saying that Armada Scavenger is a crap toy with about as much articulation as G1 toy (even less articulation than some G1 toys!). But by saying that I'm not saying or even implying that G1 toys are therefore crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon
    I agree though that the show could afford to look a little better, but IMO it looks pretty contemporary compared to other CGI cartoons.
    I agree. I think it does look contemporary, but it's kinda ordinary by contemporary standards, whereas Beast Wars was exceptionally good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon
    I tend to think though that 'The Clone Wars' is an iffy comparison really because whilst Hasbro does have more money than Lucas, which 5FDP details quite well, Lucas has nowhere near the amount of projects on his plate than what Hasbro does and added is the fact that Hasbro must appeal to share holders too.
    (Stupid Money Hungry Shareholders! )

So whilst I agree it could look better, I don't think that the Animation Studio is doing all too badly, but let us not forget Beast Wars as an example in regards to it's 1st season and what it ended up looking like by it's third?
    Interesting that you should say that. Because the animation quality improved with each season, and Season 2 won an Emmy Award for best visual effects in an animated television series. This all despite the fact that Seasons 2 and 3 had reduced budgets compared to Season 1.

I think Beast Wars proved that animators _can_ create quality animation on a cheap budget if they put enough effort into it. Of course, one decision that Mainframe made in order to create that quality in animation was to halve the number of episodes in Seasons 2 and 3 of BW (hence why Season 1 has 26 eps and Seasons 2 and 3 have 13 eps each).

Looks like they are going for a minimalist style of animation, perhaps focusing more on the movements and characters than anything in the background/foreground?

It's just so barren and empty, which is the same feeling I got from that preview clip months ago where the Decepticons guards were jumped from above.

Computers can render more polygons and better textures faster than ever before, but it looks like neither will be used in large amounts in Prime.

Better hope it has a good story to support it.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

It looks fantastic! I even got a slightly Pixar-esque kind of feel from it. Yet another new direction for the franchise. I love it!

Bring on the toys!

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    Bring on the toys!
    This.